Some reviewers are dogs

When I first joined this forum, long before I knew where the various people fitted, one of the first posts I read was by some chap named Keystone which talked about reviewers and concluded with the line "Of course, some reviewers are dogs"

My immediate reaction was "I don't know who this Keystone bloke is, but that's a bit rude and I bet he gets slammed for that!"

Now I'm a bit more familiar with the various personalities here, I have a pretty good idea who Keystone is, but I still have no idea where the phrase "some reviewers are dogs" came from. Could someone please put me out of my misery?

Cheers

Tony

When I first joined this forum, long before I knew where the various people fitted, one of the first posts I read was by some chap named Keystone which talked about reviewers and concluded with the line "Of course, some reviewers are dogs"

My immediate reaction was "I don't know who this Keystone bloke is, but that's a bit rude and I bet he gets slammed for that!"

Now I'm a bit more familiar with the various personalities here, I have a pretty good idea who Keystone is, but I still have no idea where the phrase "some reviewers are dogs" came from. Could someone please put me out of my misery?

Cheers

Tony

Well, first off Keystone don't get slammed here. :anibad: And some reviewers really a canines. B)

Slang is a funny thing and the term "Dog" can mean many things depending on context. For instance... I had a college friend that we called a Dog in the sense that he was a "player" or fast and loose with the female gender.

For a while the term Dog was very much urban slang for Buddy, Homie, member of one's peer group or gang.

In this instance Keystone probably meant it in a quasi-negative connotation that some reviewers are a bit harsh or less than pleasant in their posting approach.

I don't think it is crossing the line rude... I think it is probably an accurate description of any forum or cluster of humans.

Every forum has its:

Hoovers - someone who reads almost everything but doesn’t contribute anything.

Lurkers - one who registers on the forum but doesn’t post.

Trolls - Definition not fit for print

Would-be Royalty – posts everywhere and expects a response immediately, and for the mods to act as their personal consultants.

Touters - lurks until they see an opportunity to tout for business.

High Maintenance - High Maintenance

Good Citizens - these members ask questions but are clearly respectful and appreciative of others’ time.

And then there are the:

• Lemmings
  • Saccharine Shebas
  • Garrulous Gerties
  • Core Dumpers
  • Lame Losers
  • Mindless Optimists
  • Monomaniacs
  • Jaded Professionals
  • Guru Wannabes
  • Control Freaks
  • News Junkies
  • Frequent Fliers
  • Rainbow
  • Cool Dudes
  • Resident Cynics

Edited by Bohemian1966

The origin of "many reviewers are dogs" does indeed trace back to the Puppymonster and his pet, mtn-man. In the early days of geocaching, mtn-man was one of the very first reviewers. As we added more and more reviewers when the game grew, there was speculation that mtn-man just had a lot of sock puppets, one per state (like "Keystone" for Pennsylvania). And, of course, mtn-man was really just Puppymonster's sock puppet.

When I use the phrase "many reviewers are dogs" today, I primarily use it as a codeword for concepts like "reviewers are not perfect and they make mistakes" and "reviewers are never going to be 100% consistent around the world in exercising their judgment to apply the listing guidelines." It's intended to defuse rants, to acknowledge shortcomings and to avoid getting into flame wars with people complaining about mistakes and inconsistencies.

The origin of "many reviewers are dogs" does indeed trace back to the Puppymonster and his pet, mtn-man. In the early days of geocaching, mtn-man was one of the very first reviewers. As we added more and more reviewers when the game grew, there was speculation that mtn-man just had a lot of sock puppets, one per state (like "Keystone" for Pennsylvania). And, of course, mtn-man was really just Puppymonster's sock puppet.

When I use the phrase "many reviewers are dogs" today, I primarily use it as a codeword for concepts like "reviewers are not perfect and they make mistakes" and "reviewers are never going to be 100% consistent around the world in exercising their judgment to apply the listing guidelines." It's intended to defuse rants, to acknowledge shortcomings and to avoid getting into flame wars with people complaining about mistakes and inconsistencies.

Keystone, I think your explanation takes all the fun out of forum denizens' attempts to read nefarious intent into the statement. Bah Humbug.

In that case I'm a cat because as we all know.... cats are purr-fect.... ;)

Keystone, I think your explanation takes all the fun out of forum denizens' attempts to read nefarious intent into the statement. Bah Humbug.

I don't think it was Keystone's explanation that took the fun out of it. I think that happened with the earlier comment:

In this instance Keystone probably meant it in a quasi-negative connotation that some reviewers are a bit harsh or less than pleasant in their posting approach.

I suppose I have to acknowledge Keystone's greater knowledge of this issue ... but I'll point out that one of the most famous cartoons ever printed in The New Yorker, about 15-20 years ago, showed two dogs, one of them saying "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog". Seems appropriate given the general (though not total) anonymity of reviewers.

Edward

I don't think it was Keystone's explanation that took the fun out of it. I think that happened with the earlier comment:

Dude ! Slammed on my first post... your such a a Dog ! <_<

Edited by Bohemian1966