G.A.G.B - News And Information

Moote

The Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) has started this thread to give the community a better indication of what is happening in the world of GAGB. To this aim we intend to post regular updates and news which will have links within them to a fuller amount of information on the topics covered. We would not expect people to post here but request that if you have any issues / queries / information that you visit our Forums here.

GAGB was established to provide an elected voice for its members in the United Kingdom. GAGB is free to join and you may sign up at the following location

Click here to Join

The main Portals of GAGB is our Website, as well as the Forums for posting request for information and discussion etc.

The aims of GAGB are to establish good practice, provide a focal point for public liaison and support the growth and enjoyment of Geocaching in harmony with the law and environment. You can see the Geocaching code and Geocaching guidelines which are useful to both new and established Geocachers.

GAGB also tries to negotiate general cache placement agreements with major landowners such as the Forestry Commission, and our database of existing permissions (whether negotiated by GAGB or anyone else in the UK) is here Major Land Owner Agreements

We look forward to seeing more Geocahers joining and visiting our sites.

Thanks

The GAGB Committee

Edited by Michael

The new GAGB Committee has now been formed and the following are the 2005/6 members

Chairman

Bill - Bill D (wwh)

Committee

Martyn - MCL

Dave - The Wombles

Paul - Paul.Blitz

Tony - Mongoose39UK

Milton - Moote

The Committee held our first meeting on Sunday 11 November.

The main discussion was the issue of raising GAGB profile within the general caching community, the Committee was in full agreement that we should be doing more in the way of publicity and several ideas where raised. One was this pinned thread, but we also looked at the issues of the website being too static and the homepage rarely changing, also we are considering a newsletter so that member can read up on the latest information.

We are now looking at these and hopefully we can move forward with some or all our ideas.

If you wish to make any comments or suggestions on issues please post them within the GAGB Forums

Thanks

The GAGB Committee

GAGB is pleased to announce the renewal of the Permission to cache from the New Forest Forestry Commission. Details can be found in the GAGB Landowner Agreements Database.

This renewal is important to GAGB because the original negotiation started from a difficult situation and required extensive work to reach agreement. GAGB has been working at the agreement over the last year to ensure that issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the NF FC and we are pleased that this has resulted in renewal of the agreement.

There was a flurry of activity here last November regarding the election processes for the chairman & committee of the GAGB – people were challenged to stand for election themselves and change the GAGB from the inside.

2 prominent cachers were elected as members and at least one of their manifestos indicated that a major priority would be to increase the awareness of the GAGB and it’s activities.

5 months on - no posts in this thread for nearly 4 months: an enquiry from a new cacher on GAGB http://www.gagb.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=685 posted 3 days ago with no replies from the committee or anyone else – he got the information he was looking for on a US forum. No expanded information anywhere regarding the GAGB’s performance.

Was it just a storm in a teacup ?

civilised

A reply to civilised.

I am not quite sure who you are describing as prominent cachers. However as you refer to 2 new people I would assume that you are referring to Moote and myself.

Leaving that aside. I apologize for having a life outside these forums and not replying to your post within some time limit you seem to have imposed upon myself and the other members of the GAGB.

With regard to having not replied to the thread on the GAGB forum. Normally it is left for anyone to reply to the thread for the first few days. If no one has replied I normally reply or try to contact the best person to reply to any questions raised. There was indeed nothing stopping you from posting a response. The same goes with emails. I am pleased to see that Mark has provided a good response to the questions raised.

You may also find that we contact people directly by email rather than relying on the person posting going back to the forum to check for a response.

You are correct however that we do believe in raising the profile of the GAGB and I am quite willing to admit that we could have done better.

One of the things that we intended to do was to post a regular newsletter, this has been prepared by Mancunian Pyrocacher and will be posted asap. This may not be in this forum so it is worth checking the GAGB page.

There have been some significant advances in the area of Landowner permission and judging by a recent email there should soon be a very significant agreement reached. I am sure the GAGB will be posting the information on their website as soon as it is appropriate.

I wish to point out at this time this is my personal response and may not reflect the views of the GAGB committee or its members.

Cheers

Tony

I think Tony has summed things up very well. Things are happening, but none of us are able to work for GAGB full time, much as I myself would be delighted to devote the greater part of my time to caching.

Regarding the post in the GAGB forums, when I saw that post I also saw that the questions had been answered very well in the Groundspeak forum, and saw no reason to reiterate anything on GAGB.

Edit: I forgot to say that I did in fact post in the Groundspeak thread to add a snippet of information.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

Leaving that aside. I apologize for having a life outside these forums and not replying to your post within some time limit you seem to have imposed upon myself and the other members of the GAGB.

I don’t want to impose any time limit on anyone – merely to draw attention to the lack of awareness the GAGB seems to have to what’s going on at it’s own doorstep – FollowMeChaps asked a UK related question on the GAGB forum and was ignored there for 3 days – he asked the same question on Getting Started and had a reply within 1.5 hours. Is this the best advertisement for GAGB ?

With regard to having not replied to the thread on the GAGB forum. Normally it is left for anyone to reply to the thread for the first few days. If no one has replied I normally reply or try to contact the best person to reply to any questions raised. There was indeed nothing stopping you from posting a response. The same goes with emails. I am pleased to see that Mark has provided a good response to the questions raised.

I was going to reply to FollowMeChaps on GAGB but realised that his questions had been answered elsewhere – and the replies to his questions on GAGB only came after I made my second post here yesterday.

You may also find that we contact people directly by email rather than relying on the person posting going back to the forum to check for a response.

Replying by email to public questions is not, in my opinion, the best use of a public forum – what happens to the next person asking a similar question ? Either he/she assumes that those questions will not be answered, or they ask it again and someone has to email an answer all over again.

You are correct however that we do believe in raising the profile of the GAGB and I am quite willing to admit that we could have done better.

I’m sorry that you seem to be taking this personally – it was not intended so. I’m questioning the value of the GAGB forum and the GAGB pinned thread here on GC. In passing, I do not question the value of the GAGB itself.

I had hoped that after all the angst surrounding the elections last November that we might see an improved awareness of the GAGB within UK caching – but to return my earlier point – 3 posts on this pinned thread in just under 4 months ? A relatively new cacher, FollowMeChaps, asking why we have so many forums – surely this must be the reaction of many people?

civilised

As there have been quite a few (more or less) off-topic posts in the GAGB forums recently, we've decided to provide an Off Topic forum there. GAGB members are free to use that forum to discuss any non-caching and non-GAGB related matters there, within reason of course!

---

Bill

Chairman, GAGB

GAGB elections will be held in November, for the positions of committee members and Chairman. If you're a member of GAGB and wish to vote in those elections you'll need to be a "Member" not a "Member (non-voting)" - you can see which you are below your user name beside your forum posts on GAGB.

The GAGB forums are here.

If you're showing as non-voting and you've been a member of GAGB for more than a month, then contact me through my GAGB or gc.com profile and I'll make you a full member.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

GAGB elections will be held in November, for the positions of committee members and Chairman. If you're a member of GAGB and wish to vote in those elections you'll need to be a "Member" not a "Member (non-voting)" - you can see which you are below your user name beside your forum posts on GAGB.

If you're showing as non-voting and you've been a member of GAGB for more than a month, then contact me through my GAGB or gc.com profile and I'll make you a full member.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

oooo is it time for an argument?? :)B)

Nebias, I don't know what the problem is there - I've just checked the link using my great-nephew's account in case it was somehow specific to my own log-in details, and it works fine.

You could try going to GAGB's home page and clicking on the link to the forums there. Post again or contact me through my profile if you continue to experience problems.

Incidentally, I've just checked and you're a "Member" so you can vote. :)

But all I get is gobble-dee-goop :)

cheers

Nebias

I am getting gobble-dee-goop also.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:26:47 GMT Server: Apache Web Server Content-Encoding: gzip Vary: Accept-Encoding X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.4 Set-Cookie: session_id=b7bef6634c73187b95337713d8356b96; path=/ Set-Cookie: forum_read=a%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A2%3Bi%3A1157372807%3B%7D; expires=Tuesday, 04-Sep-07 12:26:47 GMT; path=/ Connection: close Content-Type: text/html ‹ì]{sÛ8’ÿ;þ¦&´o,‰¤Þ²¥-?¤$»qâ‹=“}Ô• !‰Šà’”ïÞ|÷ëHŠ¤H=lÅ;™Ëlm,‘@£ÑèþõxúÃ凋ۿ]÷É4˜Ùäúçówo/ˆRªT>U/*•ËÛKò×7·Wïˆ^ÖÈ­Gß ,îP»Ré¿Wˆ2 ·S©,‹ò¢ZæÞ¤rû±òiéØ9üX =Ëf`*=rp*Fü2³;6u&]…9 Y~‚ëŽßÍ¡¯·ÛmIVaÔĿج÷úìõ9po>#¥yÍæQû´"oB« (Aš%öϹußUFÜ ˜”‚—)$üÖUö%¨à'd4¥žÏ‚®åóR«Uo—t…T€Póƒ›ìÚUE‘﫽1¯~ϼ±Í¥/Bç?!¿Œ¹7ƒ[¦å»6}è˱-‡ák6Ð%°FÔ.QÛš82³LÓf'Cî™ÌëÍý‚mÏ?\þ ÛÒ˜Î,(ýÂ<“:ô˜ÜÒ)ŸÁß3Ï¢ö1ñAð%ŸyÖøD´÷­±Ñu 4£ÞÄrU¢ã?ч“·9 ÷RÓ´“!}žx|èò`0@6nÏÎßõaÀðÿË=ð“ÈÓÈæó1¡{ t‡™ø‘ŽëžÁ`(ï’ÉFÜ£¨V 2OHs…Ηb»>gõ‹æY[,•Ål¾ì3ê¦ÐÝ¥¦i9“i³Ø«4eÖdûuíGìcÓ!Ã¥Í=ɹ܅òÂõ-Ó iJPŠ>>`Hò²ßƒ&ö+O8ŸØÌãÙ¸àWþúÝ|©ª5 „Ë`þå‰5>\AðT0Á„6B£‚ù%¤ªù.ýÁÅ jTÛ88õÏ!_™|$ƒ‹A»‘ìg$ú[‚©°_5ѯÞoŸ5êŒtj‡ú—»ðýF?$¿¦Y"ÁÇŒ™Ö|¶-¸¤#ÀÕ¹>J#’|,ƒ÷ÌÕe摹±[b9òŒB†F^ÉÿªDòr‘XJ­û[2ډŤý"Â.K-Ù´¼”Oêr±pRÎ4¬+¤FÙ"w cC‰x 'Á-Ç×VÛõóªÌ:Ä̵˜ŠâfÓÛ[8ØíyréJ2¿ÀåL¨o _èšt |Snî·¦ëMeLf–c¡}Úœ‚¢KÌTÊuH“nY,K2¥.îi,{VÞ&óG[%Ãe0Á ݲ²íƒÑ`îe‹«•ŒïãzDµû-“Ô²³H,ØBôÊÜ7Vè7ÂʊΛګ™›žŸ¹-£šíÛ_êÚÒþR—sK#F8‹¹ã±IN}¦˜v^²2f[A~$MQQÆÍÿýó‡Û~aùP” ‹ª2p0¨*y)Ê\“×do$ªQ¯·j¹|ž¿ìçYiù_|¸\™ÀŸ{óŽ£ä=[SÓ*¸ûEš[Õvo°¶{“­í¶W¬!Ò¼7ÙpÓpò,,5ä}4ä”Ù÷ Ýdª”\à:qŒ—-Çè³Á‰

Just a reminder:

If you're showing as non-voting then contact me through my GAGB or gc.com profile and I'll make you a full member.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

We now have an independent Returning Officer for GAGB's elections, and a page on the website where you can update your membership if it's showing as lapsed or non-voting. You can also check that your registered email address is up to date on the same page - you'll need to vote using that address. Full details are in the "Election of Chairman and Committee" pinned thread in GAGB's General Forum.

As the Returning Officer for the GAGB elections I would like to note that there were no additional nominations for Chairman. Therefore there will be no election for that position, and Bill D will remain chairman.

A great vote of confidence for Bill!

....not to mention that it made my life easier. :)

Hopefully I'll get to count votes for the commitee member positions, and in doing so finally earn my handsome retainer. :) I wish. :(

Congratulations Bill!

~erik~

As Returning Officer I would like to announce that, as there were no further nominees, the winners for commitee positions on the GAGB are:

Matt Wagster - Mattwaggie (Badger)

Fiona Robertson - The Nutters

Tony Pinnington - mongoose39uk

Dave Edwards- The Wombles

Matt Pringle - nobby.nobbs

Congratulations folks!

Best regards,

~erik~

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by erik88l-r

Work on the migration of the GAGB forums is about to start. During the

early phases of this work, access to the current forums will remain

unaffected. However it is possible that you may see spurious e-mails to

the e-mail address registered with the GAGB forums. Such e-mail will

appear to come from forum.geocache.org.uk and is as a result of migration

of existing data. No action need be taken on your part.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

GAGB is pleased to announce that in response to suggestions made in the GC.com forum, we plan to host regional forums on the GAGB website. Initially these regions will be:

South West England

West England

Southern England

London

Eastern England

Central England

North-West England

North-East England

South Wales

North Wales

Southern Scotland

Western Scotland and Isles

East Scotland

Northern Scotland

Northern Ireland

Channel Islands

Clearly some regional forums are already established and cachers will continue to use those; however we will provide complete coverage even if some GAGB regions are little used.

Dave on behalf of GAGB committee

Caching as The Wombles

Some concerns have been raised in another thread.

GAGB wish to provide regional facilities for cachers who require them and don't have them, without interfering with or detracting from existing facilities. We also wish to point cachers who're looking for regional facilities that already exist in the right direction.

We've had some very fruitful discussion amongst the committee and with others today, and we think we have a solution that should be satisfactory to everyone. We need to take a formal vote, and when we have done I'll post again here.

Apologies for cross-posting.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Right, this is what we're now going to do.

We're going to add a new forum on the main page entitled "Regional Forums".

That forum will have a pinned and locked topic containing links to the already existing regional forums.

It will also have a thread for people to suggest and discuss new regional forums that could be hosted on GAGB, and to suggest links to any existing regional forums we've overlooked.

As and when new areas are proposed and agreed on, a forum for that region will be added. Regional forums on GAGB will have "local" moderators if they wish.

We'll also add a web page containing direct links to all the regional forums we're aware of, both on and off GAGB's site.

None of this, of course, prevents anyone setting up new independent regional forums, and if any new ones spring up we'll be glad to include links to them.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB