Can I use Google Maps?

SkylerC44

I am wanting to start geocaching. wanted to see if I can geocache using Google Maps on my phone? I don't want to invest too much money right now in apps, etc., as we are just starting out and I want to see if my kids like it first.

Can I enter coordinates into Google Maps and follow that? I do own a GPS unit? I have not looked to see how easy it is to enter coordinates and use it for geocaching.

Am I able to just enter coordinates in either Google Maps on my phone or on my regular GPS unit? Do I need something fancier?

Also, is there a way to copy coordinates so I can enter them into Google Maps? I am not sure how to type all of the characters? I don't have my GPS with me. Do they have an easy way to enter coordinates with all the characters?

Thank you!

When I first started, I found hundreds of caches using the satellite images from Google Maps. That was before smartphones, so I usually viewed the images on a desktop computer, took note of key landmarks that would be recognizable when I got onsite, and then went and found the caches. So, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use Google Maps to find caches today, if that's what you want to do.

When copying coordinates, be sure to get the format right. Just like there are 60 minutes in an hour, there are also 60 minutes in a degree. And just like 1.5 hours is the same as 1 hour 30 minutes, 1.5 degrees is the same as 1 degree 30 minutes. Google generally understands whatever format you enter (and you can generally omit the degree symbol, and just type (e.g.) "N 37 15.722 W 121 57.260" rather than "N 37° 15.722 W 121° 57.260". But if you're entering coordinates into a handheld GPS receiver, then make sure the device is configured to use the format that you are using. For example, even though the digits are the same, the following locations are miles apart:

N 37.15522° W 121.57260° (decimal degrees)

N 37° 15.522' W 121° 57.260' (degrees, decimal minutes)

N 37° 15' 52.2" W 121° 57' 26.0" (degrees, minutes, decimal seconds)

I am wanting to start geocaching. wanted to see if I can geocache using Google Maps on my phone? I don't want to invest too much money right now in apps, etc., as we are just starting out and I want to see if my kids like it first.

Can I enter coordinates into Google Maps and follow that? I do own a GPS unit? I have not looked to see how easy it is to enter coordinates and use it for geocaching.

Am I able to just enter coordinates in either Google Maps on my phone or on my regular GPS unit? Do I need something fancier?

Also, is there a way to copy coordinates so I can enter them into Google Maps? I am not sure how to type all of the characters? I don't have my GPS with me. Do they have an easy way to enter coordinates with all the characters?

Thank you!

Which make and model of gps?

GS has a free app. Supposed to be just the thing for folks who want to try this out.

If you've got a gps then you can download loc files.

But if Google Maps does it for you....I've highlighted/copied/pasted the coordinates on the cache page to plunk into Google Maps. Don't recall having any problems regarding the formatting.

Something I like to do is use Google Maps to see the driving distance between the posted coordinates of a "puzzle" cache and the corrected coordinates location. I don't change the format found on the cache page and it's worked fine for me.

B.

Thank you!

yes but it's a lot harder than using the free apps like geocaching, locus, cgeo, Osmand, etc

The Geocaching app is free in the app store. That's what you should use.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been using cGeo for years as a free app as well as Geocaching Classic which was the "Pay For" app from Groundspeak which was next to worthless from my point of view, particularly when compared to cGeo. I will have to test out the features in the new Geocaching app. Any hints that you may want to pass along would be welcomed.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been using cGeo for years as a free app as well as Geocaching Classic which was the "Pay For" app from Groundspeak which was next to worthless from my point of view, particularly when compared to cGeo. I will have to test out the features in the new Geocaching app. Any hints that you may want to pass along would be welcomed.

Stick with cGeo. The free official app has so many complaints, it's crazy.

Stick with cGeo. The free official app has so many complaints, it's crazy.

...or even better, use one of the many apps that actually play by the rules.

I know this is tangential, but why does c:geo still have access to data if it doesn't follow the rules? I thought that's what the API was there to prevent.
The API provides an approved mechanism for accessing the data. It doesn't prevent developers from attempting to use other mechanisms for accessing the data.

And tools that scrape web sites often do their best to emulate normal browsers, especially when the web site owners don't want their site to be scraped.

I know this is tangential, but why does c:geo still have access to data if it doesn't follow the rules? I thought that's what the API was there to prevent.
The API provides an approved mechanism for accessing the data. It doesn't prevent developers from attempting to use other mechanisms for accessing the data.

And tools that scrape web sites often do their best to emulate normal browsers, especially when the web site owners don't want their site to be scraped.

One would think a cease and desist letter might do the trick.

I have to ask, what "rules" is cGeo breaking?

when you load a web page with a browser, it automatically displays the data for you. the difference between cgeo and your browser is that cgeo does it for a hundred pages at a time, and there aren't any ads served in the process. that erks the website owner, and then the claims of unfairness and "but the rules , man!" happen. there are about a thousand threads about it , with incredibly long winded explanations with passionate words used.... but that's about it.

the difference between cgeo and your browser is that cgeo does it for a hundred pages at a time,

Only if you download and store a hundred caches at a time. If you don't store them on your phone or if you store them one at a time, it's acting like a human is viewing the pages on a browser.

and there aren't any ads served in the process.

I use AdBlock on my browser, so I break this unwritten rule, anyway. ;)

the difference between cgeo and your browser is that cgeo does it for a hundred pages at a time,

Only if you download and store a hundred caches at a time. If you don't store them on your phone or if you store them one at a time, it's acting like a human is viewing the pages on a browser.

and there aren't any ads served in the process.

I use AdBlock on my browser, so I break this unwritten rule, anyway. ;)

bah i screwed that one up!

you're totally correct :-)

One would think a cease and desist letter might do the trick.

One would think a cost benefits analysis has already been done, resulting in TPTB not bothering. If c:geo was as big a problem as professed it would be gone by now.