can etrex 20 0or 30 get NW Trails?

Jobu35

I want the northwest trails and currently have an etrex 10 with not enough memory apparently, so basically I want to know if a 20 or 30 can handle it. Also, I understand the NW Trials map is free.I have tried to read some topics, but some of the answers are miles long and I start to drone out. most of you seem more technically advanced than me:)

Looking a NW Trails, none of the tiles are larger than 8 MB, so you could use some states on the Etrex 10.

Alaska Northwest Trails 568 KB

Alberta Northwest Trails 436 KB

British Columbia Northwest Trails 1.81 MB

California Northwest Trails 314 KB

Idaho Northwest Trails 1.55 MB

Montana Northwest Trails 1.65 MB

Oregon Northwest Trails 1.29 MB

Washington Northwest Trails 2.76 MB

Wyoming Northwest Trails 726 KB

I don't think you can use Basecamp with the eTrex10 to install the map. Without going back in the old threads to verify, I think the person who first demonstrated the use of SMALL maps on the e10 did it by tricking the GPS. Using the computer software (Windows Explorer, Mac Finder) he moved the basemap off the GPS and renamed the new map to match the name of the removed (and saved) basemap. He then copied the renamed new map onto the GPS. When rebooted the GPS would look for the basemap and end up using the new map.

I don't know anything about Basecamp, can it be used to save selected tiles from a map to the computer to create a new map?

Ah, not so fast, grasshopper! I have an Etrex 10, and I have detailed maps on it that cover all of Tucson, where I live, and quite a bit more. And it only takes up about 4mb. I found a website that has maps for Garmin's smartwatch fenix, but it works just as well in the Etrex 10, and they're free and legal. Here is the website to peruse: http://www.gmaptool....ps-garmin-fenix

Here's the process:

1. Download the region you want from the website above and unzip it.

2. Install it in MapSource by running the install program in the unzipped folder you just made.

3. IMPORTANT: Connect your Etrex 10 to your computer and COPY ALL of the files on it to some safe place on your computer. If something goes wrong with the map procedure, you have backup files!

4. Using MapSource, transfer the areas you want to the Etrex 10. Make sure you leave 3-4mb free on the Etrex so you don't get "memory low" warning while using it.

5. Here's another important thing to know: The Etrex only recognizes and displays its basemap (gmapbmap.img). The map you just loaded is called gmapsupp.img. In order to display your new detailed map, you need to delete the gmapbmap.img file, then rename your gmapsupp.img file to gmapbmap.img.

The detailed map is pretty primitive, showing only lines for roads, but all the roads are there, plus trails! It's really made my cheap little etrex a very capable machine.