Oregon 450 won't continue to boot

Just when everything was working fine with the 450, I was loading a custom map with google earth. After it was saved, I disconnected from the PC, went to boot up the unit and it stayed stuck on the Garmin logo and will not move from there. I tried taking out the batteries several times and the same thing each time. Any help? Thanks

Just when everything was working fine with the 450, I was loading a custom map with google earth. After it was saved, I disconnected from the PC, went to boot up the unit and it stayed stuck on the Garmin logo and will not move from there. I tried taking out the batteries several times and the same thing each time. Any help? Thanks

Try a master reset:

Turn off the Oregon, press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and power the unit on. You will eventually be asked if you want to reset user data. If you answer "Yes" the unit will be master reset.

The map went to the Garmin unit itself not the card. I cant even get the master reset to work. It just stays on the Garmin logo with copyright at the bottom. The PC does not recognize it neither.

Can you get it into Mass Storage mode by plugging into the computer after a pulling & replacing the batteries but with the unit turned off? If so, try deleting the new map and reinstalling it on the microSD card.

Well I just found my answer on the discussions of the Garmin Wiki. Thanks so much to wsgaskins who gave me the following instructions which enabled me to delete the file from the unit.

Here's the way to force it back into Mass Storage Mode:

- Take out the batteries

- Wait 10 seconds...

- Hold down the Power Button

- While continuing to press the power button, plug in the USB cable to the PC.

- Keep pressing the Power button.

- After 15-20 seconds, my unit returned to Mass Storage Mode.

Well I just found my answer on the discussions of the Garmin Wiki. Thanks so much to wsgaskins who gave me the following instructions which enabled me to delete the file from the unit.

Here's the way to force it back into Mass Storage Mode:

- Take out the batteries

- Wait 10 seconds...

- Hold down the Power Button

- While continuing to press the power button, plug in the USB cable to the PC.

- Keep pressing the Power button.

- After 15-20 seconds, my unit returned to Mass Storage Mode.

I better take note of this just in case I have similar issue in the future. Thanks for the info.

Hoping for similar help here. Going on a trip very soon and with the 4th holiday.....

Anyway, mine won't get booted past the logo.

I can't get it to do a master reset. Pushing on the upper left corner does nothing for ANY amount of time.

Turn off the Oregon, press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and power the unit on. You will eventually be asked if you want to reset user data. If you answer "Yes" the unit will be master reset.

Nor can I force it into USB Mass Storage Mode, because I cant get it to power OFF when connected with the USB.

1.Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2.The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3.Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4.The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

5.From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added

6.Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

The unit does flash about every 10 seconds like it's trying to boot, but nada.

Anyone who can suggest anything -- your help is truly appreciated!!!

1) Remove the batteries.

2) Press and hold the power button. Do not release power button.

3) Keep holding the power button and plug the GPS into your computer thru the USB.

4) Continue to hold the power button for AT LEAST 30 seconds (time it). Garmin splash screen should change to Garmin connected to computer screen. Now you are connected in mass storage and can finally release the power button.

5) Massage sore finger (or thumb) from holding in the power button.

Ed ited ta corect spellin

Edited by Cacheoholic

1) Remove the batteries.

2) Press and hold the power button. Do not release power button.

3) Keep holding the power button and plug the GPS into your computer thru the USB.

4) Continue to hold the power button for AT LEAST 30 seconds (time it). Garmin splash screen should change to Garmin connected to computer screen. Now you are connected in mass storage and can finally release the power button.

5) Massage sore finger (or thumb) from holding in the power button.

Ed ited ta corect spellin

A variation of the 2nd part of my post, above. No joy. Had not had batteries in it overnight and tried it again, for over 30 seconds, and multiples of a minute -- just in case. No joy. :(

If you cannot get the GPS connected by forced mass storage mode then you have a serious problem or a bad USB cable or connection. The unit will have to be sent back to Garmin for exchange because there is nothing you can do without mass storage mode. Even if the unit’s software is corrupt you can still use forced mass storage mode to reload. I’ve never heard of an Oregon that will not connect in mass storage mode. Very unusual.

If you cannot get the GPS connected by forced mass storage mode then you have a serious problem or a bad USB cable or connection. The unit will have to be sent back to Garmin for exchange because there is nothing you can do without mass storage mode. Even if the unit’s software is corrupt you can still use forced mass storage mode to reload. I’ve never heard of an Oregon that will not connect in mass storage mode. Very unusual.

:blink::(:o Oh, well. At least I can say I'm special, right? B)

I did try several different USB cables and in several different USB ports, too. Thanks, though!!

This procedure for placing the unit in mass storage mode did not work for me either. But the following did, which I found on GPS Review Forums, and I was able to delete the .img file that caused my 450 to freeze.

1. Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2. The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3. Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4. The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

5. From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added

6. Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

During step 3) you should only see the Garmin banner for 30 seconds followed immediately by the graphic that shows a computer connected to a GPS. If you see any other text such as your custom banner, banners for loading maps, waypoints, etc then you have not held down the power button long enough.