down on the nuvi

DukeOfURL01

Well I went ahead and got a nuvi 1490, but I'm kind of down on it now, and may sell it.

My biggest complaints:

1) It takes a LONG time to boot up, much longer than my Oregon 450.

2) That annoying Warning screen when it comes on, I can't find a way to get rid of it, and it's just terrible.

3) It can't take the long-term heat from the sun while being mounted to a dashboard

4) The battery is not removable/replaceable

5) The location of the power port is just crazy inconvenient. It would be so much better on the bottom, so it didn't need that right-angle power cord, just the same one I've had in my car forever.

6) So much more information could be displayed simultaneously, but it's not. It would seem to not even know many things that the Oregon does, such as Dist to Next.

It's just dumber, and I'm upset about it..

I guess what I'm really looking for is:

1) I'd like to transfer the points to it ahead of time, when I'm getting my Oregon ready for the trip, but I can't find that feature, and then I'd want something like "Go to next nearest" as a one-touch, as this one is marked as found, and then never to be seen again.

2) Go straight to the map screen. It's far less often that I need to find an address, and for that I'd willingly press a back button.

3) Ability to disable that stupid warning screen. I'm not gonna sue them or hurt myself or drive into water or something stupid.

4) Faster boot time, 6 seconds max. (this thing takes 20 seconds to even get to the warning screen)

5) The ability to "beam" non-Geocache waypoints from the Oregon to the Nuvi.

Really, I just want an Oregon (or similar) but with a bigger screen, (but the lane assist and knowing the speed limit is awesome.)

I think I'm gonna just continue to use my Oregon with Routable maps, in the car. I've been doing that for a while, but I wanted the bigger screen. I should just get a second Oregon and keep it in the car.

Did I just get the wrong model? Is there one that has these things, like with a Geocaching mode?

1) It takes a LONG time to boot up, much longer than my Oregon 450.

Different models have different boot up time. Unfortunately, one of those specs that's not easily available.

2) That annoying Warning screen when it comes on, I can't find a way to get rid of it, and it's just terrible.

It will go away on its own.

3) It can't take the long-term heat from the sun while being mounted to a dashboard

I use a sandbag mount. That way, I can move it off the dashboard when parked.

4) The battery is not removable/replaceable

Most of them are - with a bit of effort. You can buy batteries online and do the replacement yourself. Not field replaceable, obviously. But if you need extended battery in the field, use a USB battery pack.

5) The location of the power port is just crazy inconvenient. It would be so much better on the bottom, so it didn't need that right-angle power cord, just the same one I've had in my car forever.

Some models have a powered cradle.

6) So much more information could be displayed simultaneously, but it's not. It would seem to not even know many things that the Oregon does, such as Dist to Next.

If you tap on the box on the navigation screen, you can change what it displays. May not be everything you want, but at least you can customize it to some extent.

Also, as others have suggested, you may want to check out the Montana.

I have Nuvis, and find they are great when entering cache coords to get to the general area. There are many caches in ID that are way off the main roads on forest roads, and there so many of these roads, it's very difficult to take the right turns all the time. With the Nuvi, takes me right to where I need to be. Hasn't failed yet (knock on wood!).

Ironic--with my old Legend Cx, I can set it to "on road" to get to the cache area, than a quick change to "off road" to find the cache. Did a great job with both. My Dakota 20/Oregon 450? Nope, at least not an easy way that I can find.

I have Nuvis, and find they are great when entering cache coords to get to the general area. There are many caches in ID that are way off the main roads on forest roads, and there so many of these roads, it's very difficult to take the right turns all the time. With the Nuvi, takes me right to where I need to be. Hasn't failed yet (knock on wood!).

Ironic--with my old Legend Cx, I can set it to "on road" to get to the cache area, than a quick change to "off road" to find the cache. Did a great job with both. My Dakota 20/Oregon 450? Nope, at least not an easy way that I can find.

The Dakota and Oregons will route on roads, but you do need a routable map loaded to do that. OpenStreetMap (OSM) is the most popular option unless you're willing to commit to buying Garmin's City Navigator for each handheld you buy.

The Dakota and Oregons will route on roads, but you do need a routable map loaded to do that. OpenStreetMap (OSM) is the most popular option unless you're willing to commit to buying Garmin's City Navigator for each handheld you buy.

I bought the City Navigator MicroSD card with the idea that it can be swapped into another GPSr if needed. Before that, I had Garmin maps on disc loaded with "Mapsource", and somehow some states never got "activated". I didn't know tii I arrived and "no routing was available" :anicute:. The disc version is locked to one device, but it may be easier to update the maps later, than if it's on a memory card. The free maps of course might be a good choice.

Once routable maps are on the device, it can either be switched from street routing to off road, or two profiles can be entirely customized. I have a "CachingCar" profile personalized, menus and all, exactly the way I like for car navigation, and a "Geocaching" profile for walking to the cache.

Edited by kunarion

My Etrex 20 and Montana also route on roads, @gratebear I'm sure your Dakota and Oregon will too if you have a routeable map.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure they do, but it's not as easy to do as with the Legend. On that, I think it was just toggle something, then toggle to on road. On the new ones, have to search for it, then scroll, then tap, then go all the way back out. It's easier to put the coords in the Nuvi and follow that. Plus, it's a bigger screen and right up there on the windshield!