Oregon 650

looneybin

I have just gotten an Oregon 650 and I was trying to download a pocket query but I could not figure out where to put it. I tried putting it in the GPS folder but when I turn on the GPS no caches show up under the geocaching icon. I was able to send a cache to the GPS by the "send to my GPS" button but I would like to use the pocket queries. Does anyone have any answers on how to do this?

Steps to download the Pocket Query directly to your GPS device:

Click on 'Pocket Queries Ready for Download' tab and click on the name to download it to your computer. You will need to remember where you save that file on your computer.

Open that file folder.

Plug your GPS device to your computer.

Open the computer file folder in a new window.

Click and open the GPS device's external drive.

Click and hold on the name of the pocket query file.

Drag it to the GPS device's external drive folder.

This should be the easiest way to download the Pocket Query to your GPS device. If this doesn't work, it may be because it is not compatible for your GPS device. If that is the case, you will have to download and install a software program. Which one you choose depends on which GPS manufacturer (Garmin, Magellan, etc) and operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux) you use.

How do you move the queries from GASK or what other kind of software isthere?

What I like about GSAK is it can grab your run PQs and set it all onto your gps with minimal effort.

The free 30 day trial is a good intro, it works on windows products, and is a steep learning curve.

I however really like the combo of a geocaching premium membership, project-GC, and GSAK. It really helps make the caching experience.

Connect the device to the computor.

Look for the device and finfd the GARMIN folder. In there look for the gPX folder. The two .gpx files go in there.

Worth a read > follow the arrow web site

scroll down to "Show me how to do paperless caching" and click on the compass next to "How to create a Pocket Query and transfer it into a Garmin GPS. Transferring the GPX file directly to the GPS without any other software."

I did try to put them unzipped in the GPS file but they did not show up in the GPS. Just where does the SD card go as I could not find the slot?

The folder is identified as "[OR Drive]:/Garmin/GPX" ("OR Drive" being whatever drive letter Windows assigns). Unzip and place GPX files in that folder. Make the same thing on an SD card if you like, but keep track of what files are sent where. There's a cheesy little MicroSD card compartment behind the batteries.

Groundspeak doesn't get very specific on particular GPSr models. Garmin doesn't say much about setting up for Geocaching.com. And so between the two of them, it's tough to figure it out. :anicute:

I also found that a whole bunch of the "Geocaching" default settings are not ideal to the way I'd like to go Geocaching. There's a lot more to customize.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks, all you suggestions did help. I did not know that I had to actually hit the eject button to make sure that the caches transferred. I am upgrading from the GC explorist and I did not have to do that with that one. I also would like to make how do you actually delete individuals caches from the GPS once you have found them. I do not see a delete option.

Thanks, all you suggestions did help. I did not know that I had to actually hit the eject button to make sure that the caches transferred. I am upgrading from the GC explorist and I did not have to do that with that one. I also would like to make how do you actually delete individuals caches from the GPS once you have found them. I do not see a delete option.

You cannot delete a cache from the unit itself. You can mark it as found, after which it will not show up when searching for unfound caches.

To delete a cache, you connect it to your computer, then you either :

1) delete the file, if it contains only the caches you want to delete

2) overwrite the file so that the caches you want to delete is no longer in it.

Edited by Chrysalides