How to reset Garmin Oregon 550T? was:reset gps

Hearty Soles

Moderator note: I made the subject clearer. When you're asking for help in a forum or group, the subject line is your chance to catch the attention of someone that's an expert at what you're asking. "car dead" is likely to be skimmed over by a car geek while "starter turns, fuel flows, full compression, but no spark in a '71 Nova SS" is more likely to get a better answer from an expert on the distributor cap of that model.

In case I just uttered nonsense and you ARE a car geek, please restrain from correcting my analogy. :-)

Have a 550T garmin Oregon, icons jump around and then it will work for abit and then move from screen to screen is there a way to reset it?

Thanks

It sounds more as though you are getting phantom key presses. These are resistive touch screens, so any gunk built up between the case bezel and the screen can create enough pressure against the touch screen to become a cause for such phantom presses. Take a piece of thin but stiff material (I like thinner pieces of mylar or other plastic) and carefully work your way around under the bezel and see if you can remove any gunk that may have accumulated there. On most units, I don't think you can get a business card in between, but that could be tried in a pinch.

In extremely rare cases, we have heard of issues with screen protectors, when installed, that have a different coefficient of expansion than the touch screen surface, and with temperature changes, can create similar symptoms.