Man dies while Geocaching in Sweden

Mr.Yuck

We're not hearing too much here in the English speaking parts of the world. Personally, I've NEVER observed anyone from Sweden posting to these forums. Denmark, yes, but Sweden, no. There was a rather high profile geocaching related death in Germany a few years ago, and that too involved someone falling off of a bridge. (A missing piece of grating on a catwalk) But many Germans fluent in English posted here. I think it's the 3rd or 4th Geocaching related death I've seen in these forums over the years, all related to "falls", be it a cliff or a bridge.

Imagine if u were the person who hid that cache how bad would u feel? Ughhh that would suck

Would that be any worse than the road worker who built a road and someone died on that road?

No one forces us to do dangerous caches, it is our choice to take the risk. I've left a few caches deeming them too dangerous.

Imagine if u were the person who hid that cache how bad would u feel? Ughhh that would suck

Would that be any worse than the road worker who built a road and someone died on that road?

No one forces us to do dangerous caches, it is our choice to take the risk. I've left a few caches deeming them too dangerous.

Actually, it would be worse since leaving a container for someone to get is not the same as building a road. If someone designed a road that was inherently dangerous in a way that should have been foreseen . . . . but I suppose there is no need to carry that analogy further since I know nothing about the cache or the hypothetical road.

Actually, it would be worse since leaving a container for someone to get is not the same as building a road. If someone designed a road that was inherently dangerous in a way that should have been foreseen . . . . but I suppose there is no need to carry that analogy further since I know nothing about the cache or the hypothetical road.

I agree with that, and I too would feel absolutely horrible if someone died at one of my caches.

I almost forgot about this one. This guy, txoilgas was found dead in his car while out Geocaching, most likely from a heart attack. That one was pretty well known too, and there was a long forum thread with many condolences.

We're not hearing too much here in the English speaking parts of the world. Personally, I've NEVER observed anyone from Sweden posting to these forums. Denmark, yes, but Sweden, no. There was a rather high profile geocaching related death in Germany a few years ago, and that too involved someone falling off of a bridge. (A missing piece of grating on a catwalk) But many Germans fluent in English posted here. I think it's the 3rd or 4th Geocaching related death I've seen in these forums over the years, all related to "falls", be it a cliff or a bridge.

The German accident: http://forums.Ground...howtopic=287203

Spokane, WA fatal fall while caching: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=236094&st=0

Edited by knowschad

Link from the Aftonbladet: Mannen i Falun kan ha dött under geocaching

This event is nearby: Meet and greet in Falun

And mentions it in this log: http://coord.info/GLGQPCYD

Tyvärr har jag inte tid att komma på eventet och ära den fallne. Hade emellertid en lite halvprivat minnesstund igår kväll. Ha det bra och ta det försiktigt där ute!
Unfortunately I do not have time to attend the event and honor the fallen. However, there was a semi-private memorial service yesterday. Be well and be careful out there!

Figuring out which cache it was is difficult, since I see a number of Mystery caches in the city. No cache is listed for the bridge itself, which makes me think it is one of them.

Edited by AutisticMajor

There was another death while geocaching during last year's Block Party weekend. A memorial cache provides details. coord.info/GC5E9EW

So unfortunate to see such deaths, although I don't think geocaching is near the top of the list of dangerous hobbies/sports. There are plenty of hobbies/sports that I'd assume result in more deaths and injuries. While anecdotal, it seems I hear about at least one (if not more) deaths while bicycling or hiking every year. Have only heard of one geocaching death, although perhaps some of the hikers were also geocaching.

Stay safe out there!