Inappropriate containers?

4wheelin_fool

In the Cool Cache Thread a few people thought different containers were inappropriate. Since that thread is not intended for discussion, I am continuing it here.

notrespassing2.jpg

Don't know how cool this would be normally, but with the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well.

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/15-posted-no-trespassing-sign.html

Clever but not cool. This would invite cachers to be law breakers. What if they found this cache and then tried to open a real No Trespassing Sign the next week. Not a good idea.

Real No Trespassing signs don't have boxes behind them. With the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well..

The problem isn't with how different the cache is from a real No Trespassing sign, but rather how much one has to investigate the next No Trespassing sign in order to determine that it isn't a geocache. No matter how well the page on this cache is, we cannot determine whether the next cache just isn't a No Trespassing sign or is a No Trespassing sign that just isn't as well described.

I think determining the difference between a real sign, from a box with a sign attached should be fairly easy for most people. Once someone finds one, they are very unlikely to mistake it from a real one.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

In the Cool Cache Thread a few people thought different containers were inappropriate. Since that thread is not intended for discussion, I am continuing it here.

notrespassing2.jpg

Don't know how cool this would be normally, but with the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well.

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/15-posted-no-trespassing-sign.html

Clever but not cool. This would invite cachers to be law breakers. What if they found this cache and then tried to open a real No Trespassing Sign the next week. Not a good idea.

Real No Trespassing signs don't have boxes behind them. With the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well..

The problem isn't with how different the cache is from a real No Trespassing sign, but rather how much one has to investigate the next No Trespassing sign in order to determine that it isn't a geocache. No matter how well the page on this cache is, we cannot determine whether the next cache just isn't a No Trespassing sign or is a No Trespassing sign that just isn't as well described.

I think determining the difference between a real sign, from a box with a sign attached should be fairly easy for most people. Once someone finds one, they are very unlikely to mistake it from a real one.

Is the "Private Property" wording essential? If the sign were a little more Geocachey, I'd feel more comfortable investigating. And yes, it would be great if the cache page that lets me know it's not just another cache on property posted "No Trespassing".

It's funny that you would say that. This is just one of several threads opened for precisely that reason. Its been stated over and over for people to move discussion elsewhere as that thread is for posting photos.

I don't see a problem with fake signs. As long as you don't have to tresspass in order to investigate a sign, it shouldn't be a problem. If you put that cache on the other side of a fence though, it would be a problem since one would be required to tresspass in order to figure they were not tresspassing.

I personally don't like this one, as it encourages disturbing wildlife, which I've done a number of times already without the fake nest and egg.

IMG_5687.JPG

I've found some similar, and they were obviously fake eggs. With Velcro, glue, and usually pretty torn up.

Two of my caches are at popular nesting spots (I don't place bird nest caches for some reason :ph34r:). I disable them when the birds are laying. A protected hidden spot is a suitable place to nest, who knew. :anicute:

One problem around here is, the nice local parks that are great for caches, are also popular for Easter egg hunts. A fake plastic egg is likely to be collected with the others.

Edited by kunarion

It's funny that you would say that. This is just one of several threads opened for precisely that reason. Its been stated over and over for people to move discussion elsewhere as that thread is for posting photos.

I don't see a problem with fake signs. As long as you don't have to tresspass in order to investigate a sign, it shouldn't be a problem. If you put that cache on the other side of a fence though, it would be a problem since one would be required to tresspass in order to figure they were not tresspassing.

That's assuming that the fake sign is actually located at the edge of private property. Would a fake "No Tresspassing" sign, placed in a spot where the public may legally enter be a problem? It may not be a problem for geocachers that would guess that it was a fake (because there is a cache listing which indicates there is a cache at that location), but a non-geocacher might be fooled into thinking they can't enter the property. I actually saw a cache like this recently. the "No Tresspassing" sign (covering a small box) was about 5' from a detailed trail map of the area but it wasn't totally clear, even looking at the map, whether or not the area behind the sign was No Tresspassing sign or not.

I personally don't like this one, as it encourages disturbing wildlife, which I've done a number of times already without the fake nest and egg.

IMG_5687.JPG

I posted a DNF on a two stage multi, that after thinking about it, am pretty sure that the first stage was a fake birds nest. When I touched the nest I felt what I thought were real eggs so I stopped searching it and felt guilty that I might have disturbed a real nest.

Would a fake "No Tresspassing" sign, placed in a spot where the public may legally enter be a problem? It may not be a problem for geocachers that would guess that it was a fake (because there is a cache listing which indicates there is a cache at that location), but a non-geocacher might be fooled into thinking they can't enter the property. I actually saw a cache like this recently. the "No Tresspassing" sign (covering a small box) was about 5' from a detailed trail map of the area but it wasn't totally clear, even looking at the map, whether or not the area behind the sign was No Tresspassing sign or not.

Similar, there was a P&R purchased (defunct business) future Township park nearby that still had it's Posted signs in place.

For almost two years the area was pretty-much caching Nirvana, as they never got around to improvements on the property, including removing those signs.

Just two weeks after a parking lot was built (and Posted signs removed), we started noticing caches being muggled.

- So yeah, I could see how a No Trespassing sign could affect others.

It may keep the hide from being swiped. :)

Is the "Private Property" wording essential? If the sign were a little more Geocachey, I'd feel more comfortable investigating.
Perhaps something like this?

POSTED

Official Geocache

The use of billion-dollar government

satellites while searching for hidden

containers in the woods is strictly

encouraged.

Is the "Private Property" wording essential? If the sign were a little more Geocachey, I'd feel more comfortable investigating.
Perhaps something like this?

POSTED

Official Geocache

The use of billion-dollar government

satellites while searching for hidden

containers in the woods is strictly

encouraged.

Brilliant! :lol:

I don't think pushing a stake into the ground, such as a tent peg, would alter it significantly enough to disturb anything. In a Native American rock shelter it might, but it's unlikely that anyone would hide something like that in that spot. Fake sprinkler heads are a little different, as they tend to encourage people to pull up actual sprinkler heads.