Magellan service

Having owned a Magellan Explorist GC for 3 years now was mortified when it would no longer switched on.I did a google search to find this is a common failing. No problem I will send it for repair so followed all the steps on Magellans web site got a ref number and paid £7.50 registered post to send it back,you can imagine my disgust when I received an Email from them saying they had got it BUT because it was out of warranty they will not fix it did I want it back or should they scrap it for me. I have now bought a Garmin etrex 30 at least when its out of warranty Garmin will endevour to repair should it need it.

Having owned a Magellan Explorist GC for 3 years now was mortified when it would no longer switched on.I did a google search to find this is a common failing. No problem I will send it for repair so followed all the steps on Magellans web site got a ref number and paid £7.50 registered post to send it back,you can imagine my disgust when I received an Email from them saying they had got it BUT because it was out of warranty they will not fix it did I want it back or should they scrap it for me. I have now bought a Garmin etrex 30 at least when its out of warranty Garmin will endevour to repair should it need it.

Magellan's customer service/support is better than horrible (like it was not too many years ago), but it is still lacking. The only other place I've found that fixes Magellans is Jungle Ghost Enterprises, out of NJ. The site says that they can fix a broken display, but they can't do anything for one that does not power up.

http://www.jungleghost.com/repair_service_for_display.shtml

I just cracked the display on my GC. It's about $78 to fix it. I can get a new one for $110 on Amazon. The GC does not have any expensive maps tied to its serial number, which is one of the few good reasons to get a GPS fixed out of warranty.

Should have stuck with Magellan cause the Etrex is a backward step... :laughing:

In your opinion. However, based on reading a lot of other posts in this forum, it seems that your opinion is in the minority.

I own an Etrex 20 and they're not that great compared to older Garmin units I own.

The 30 has a history of being unworkable and the reason why I avoided it (thank god). Yes it's my opinion but at least it's based on experience!

Is your's? :P

Should have stuck with Magellan cause the Etrex is a backward step... :laughing:

In your opinion. However, based on reading a lot of other posts in this forum, it seems that your opinion is in the minority.

I own an Etrex 20 and they're not that great compared to older Garmin units I own.

The 30 has a history of being unworkable and the reason why I avoided it (thank god). Yes it's my opinion but at least it's based on experience!

Is your's? :P

Yes. Having used many different gps units over the years from several different manufacturers, I would say I have some experience. Units like the GPS V, 60csx, etrex venture hc, colorado, oregon, dakota, montana, gpsmap 62, rino 600, explorist gc, explorist 710, meridian, and the pn40. I have found dozens of caches and been on several long hikes using the etrex 20 without any incidents.

having an old Magellan Meridian that is rock solid but is a pain to load caches in to I really missed my GC when it went wrong but Magellans attitude to customers Sucks, so far the Etrex 30 has not disappointed fast Satellite fix and seems more accurate than the magellan also has the ability to down load extra maps.

Boy, if they had kept the Meridian line but just updated the hardware and software to include truly paperless caching, Magellan would still be selling the heck out of Merdians.

You are preaching to the choir....I have written much praise for the Meridian. I purchased at least one of each model including 3 Colors and 10 Platinums many still new in the box.....just saw them this morning in a cabinet I keep them in here at work ( ran out of space at home ).....best units ever made with features many new ones lack ( how about holding 14,000,000 caches and maps of the whole U.S. on a 2G card )Float-able case....saw one a truck ran over w/ tire marked cracked screen but operated fine. Dropped one of mine on Stone Mt. , GA and it popped open like an egg...screwed it back together and no problem. Had 3 axis pointer and the quad. antenna would get you dead on.