Screen Protector for the Oregon 650

I have always used Zagg screen protectors on my Oregons and have always been satisfied with them.

I just bought an Oregon 650 and found that Zagg does not make a screen protector for it. They make one for the "Oregon series", but the form factor for that protector is for the 400s and 500s. The 600 series has a lot more glass.

I bought the ArmorSuit protector for the 650 from Amazon. It fits the 600 series screen perfectly, protecting no only the display area but all the glass around it as well. It installed easily as well.

I just went on a three day caching/camping trip and it performed admirably. I had no decrease in sensitivity on the touch screen. It also protected the screen from a scratch when I took a dive after my bike hit a railroad tie! Fortunately, my buddy in back of me did not have his GoPro on at the time.

I just bought a 3-pack of cheap iPhone screen protectors at Wally World and trimmed one to fit. That was about a year ago and I still haven't had to replace the first one.

Scissors have never been my strongpoint. So I got precut screen protectors through Amazon. And topped it off with a GizzMoVest on EBay that is perfect for the kayak or hiking.

I also used the Armor Suit on my Oregon 650. Fits perfect and easy to install. Its ultra clear and has no noticeable affect on the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Smooth and not as tacky feeling as the Zaggs. All in all a very good screen protector and reasonably priced.

I bought the ArmorSuit protector for the 650

That's the kind I bought. It comes with a soap spray, and installation involves soaking the screen, then sliding the shield around til it's centered, then squeegee'ing out the bubbles. Mine still had a few small bubbles, and just as the instructions said, those bubbles disappeared in a couple of days. My GPSr has a little ridge at the edges of the screen, which made installation a little trickier than if it had no ridge. But the ridge also helps protect the screen.

I have a clamshell case (Garmin hard case) that makes it unlikely for the GPSr screen to get scratched, but I though I might as well have a screen protector just to be safe.

Once it was safe to go hiking with it, I went out and got a scrape on the screen protector from the edge of my camera's lens filter. Within an hour :rolleyes:. The soft plastic screen protector "healed", and I can't find evidence of that scrape anymore.

The ArmorSuit protector is a little rough in places, slight imperfections with the appearance of lacquer poured onto the screen. But that doesn't bother me.

Edited by kunarion