Pocket Q'a

JohnnyVegas

I have not been able to download any PQs into my computer with my Win 8.1 machine for over a month. I saw this info re PQs

"If you don't need the files for your GPS or smartphone, you can also run your Pocket Queries on the search page. This is also a great way to ensure that your Pocket Queries are returning the results you want." Now I do not own a smart never and never will. In the past I have used GSAK to edit then load PQ results onto my GPS. I do not want to log directly onto my GPS. Does any know what is meant by "you can also run your Pocket Queries on the search page"

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The quoted text means that you can preview the pocket query search results, so that you can see what the query returns before burning one of your allotted queries for the day.

Maybe the community can help you troubleshoot why you're having trouble downloading? Can you provide more details, step by step? Where does the failure occur?

The text explanations provided by the site tend to focus on brevity rather than clarity. Still many of us somehow manage to figure out how to decipher them anyway. Here is what they are trying to say.

#1. This method will never send information to anything but your brain by way of your eyes.

#2. If you are unsure how to set up the exact PQ you want, do NOT check off a day of the week for it to run when you set up and then Submit Information for a test PQ. This way you can experiment all day without having it count against your daily PQ allotment. Every time you do Submit Information on a PQ page with the day of the week checked off, it will count against your daily PQ allotment, even if it is worthless because it was still not set up right.

#3. To see what the PQ would have looked like if you had checked off a day of the week, after clicking Submit Information look to the top of the page for "Thanks! Your pocket query has been saved and currently results in ## caches. You can preview the search here."

Click on the underlined link portion of that statement to SEE what would have been created. Sometimes you might only be looking for specific information. So this method could help you locate it without creating an actual PQ. If you really do want a PQ after you are done testing, then submit your finished product with the day of the week checked off.

NOTE: If you did create a real PQ (with day of the week checked off), you can still go to that link to look at what is in the PQ you just created.

None of this will solve a problem of not being able to download an actual PQ, So you have to keep looking for the solution to that problem.

Edited by Cardinal Red

From the tone of your initial post it sounds like prior to your 8.1 machine you were able to download PQs. How did you download them when you were successful? Did you download the directly to GSAK? Download the file to your HDD and then upload them to the GPSr? Has anything else changed besides moving to 8.1?

Edited by ras_oscar