Send Pocket Queries to Garmin (eTrex 20)

schauwers

Hi

Since a few weeks I'm having trouble reading the .gpx files from pocket queries on my Garmin eTrex 20 :blink:

What I normally do:

- download the .zip file form the pocket query to my computer

- unzip it, creating two .gpx files (one with the caches and one with the waypoints)

- transfer both files to my Garmin (Garmin\GPX)

But when I go to the Geocaches item on my Garmin menu, it always says "No geocaches found. Go to garmin.com/geocache and download geocaches."

It used to work fine for years but all of a sudden it doesn't anymore :(

The only solution seems to be downloading the caches individually again but that takes to much time.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Anyone with a solution?

Thx.

Hi

Since a few weeks I'm having trouble reading the .gpx files from pocket queries on my Garmin eTrex 20 :blink:

What I normally do:

- download the .zip file form the pocket query to my computer

- unzip it, creating two .gpx files (one with the caches and one with the waypoints)

- transfer both files to my Garmin (Garmin\GPX)

But when I go to the Geocaches item on my Garmin menu, it always says "No geocaches found. Go to garmin.com/geocache and download geocaches."

It used to work fine for years but all of a sudden it doesn't anymore :(

The only solution seems to be downloading the caches individually again but that takes to much time.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Anyone with a solution?

Thx.

To be clear, the problem is that you can transfer cache files individually and they display just fine, but if you then transfer a Pocket Query, no caches are found? What happens if you next place a single cache GPX file?

It is possible that your Pocket Query files have not properly "closed" before you unplugged the USB cable. There's a weird issue where Windows may see the file, but the Garmin doesn't, if the file has not "closed" (give it a little more time before unplugging the cable, or "Eject The Disk"). That doesn't fully explain your problem (since a newly loaded file should not cause the previously loaded files to become hidden), but maybe it's a start. I don't know if a Mac has any problem with not closing files. You didn't say which OS you're using.

You may also try deleting all files from the "Garmin/GPX" folder (back it up first), and turn it off/on a couple of times. Then install new files.

Edited by kunarion

I've heard of instances where a cache within a PQ might be 'corrupt' and cause the entire PQ to not be read by the Garmin.

Maybe you could create another PQ, that doesn't include the same caches in the problem PQ, and see if that other PQ will load normally into your eTrex. If that other PQ loads normally, then it would suggest that the problem is with the content of the initial PQ.

I have an eTrex 20 and haven't had any troubles loading PQ's lately.