Oregon 700

AndrewsDK

I'm normally a phone cacher, but my new phone has GPS issues. I'm looking at getting a dedicated GPS unit.

I read through the whole Oregon 700/750 post, but still have a question. Please let me know if my below understanding is correct. Thanks.

If I'm out and about and download a PQ over my phone's wifi, I will only get the basic info on a cache until I open each cache and load the specifics individually. I'm assuming this info would then be available for offline use. If I save the PQ, and go offline before opening each cache, only the basics will be there (no description, hint, logs, etc.)

If I download a PQ at home, via cable, I will have full cache data available for offline use.

I'm normally a phone cacher, but my new phone has GPS issues. I'm looking at getting a dedicated GPS unit.

I read through the whole Oregon 700/750 post, but still have a question. Please let me know if my below understanding is correct. Thanks.

If I'm out and about and download a PQ over my phone's wifi, I will only get the basic info on a cache until I open each cache and load the specifics individually. I'm assuming this info would then be available for offline use. If I save the PQ, and go offline before opening each cache, only the basics will be there (no description, hint, logs, etc.)

If I download a PQ at home, via cable, I will have full cache data available for offline use.

There's no wifi download of a PQ. Features available via wifi are listed at http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/oregon7xx/EN-US/GUID-96BF8D01-3CB9-4398-ACF9-7BD30A89CD67.html

I use a USB cable to load a PQ from GSAK (GarminExport macro) onto the device. I only used "live" when there was a new cache published since I last loaded a GPX. There have been some changes over the last 1 or 2 firmware updates on how things are handled when an existing cache via GPX is updated via Live and I've lost track.

There's no wifi download of a PQ. Features available via wifi are listed at http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/oregon7xx/EN-US/GUID-96BF8D01-3CB9-4398-ACF9-7BD30A89CD67.html

I use a USB cable to load a PQ from GSAK (GarminExport macro) onto the device. I only used "live" when there was a new cache published since I last loaded a GPX. There have been some changes over the last 1 or 2 firmware updates on how things are handled when an existing cache via GPX is updated via Live and I've lost track.

That's funny, my 750t has access to each and every one of my GC.com PQ's, lists, etc. And I can enable any or all of them, as I wish, right on my GPSr.

The (HUGE) current problem with GCLive data is this: You can not load GCLive data for any geocache that is already present in a pre-existing GPX or GGZ file on your Oregon 7x0 GPSr. I do wish Garmin would configure the GPSr to load the GCLive data and let the user decide which to view, GCLive or Internal (Pre-existing).

[quote name='Atlas Cached'

That's funny, my 750t has access to each and every one of my GC.com PQ's, lists, etc. And I can enable any or all of them, as I wish, right on my GPSr.

The (HUGE) current problem with GCLive data is this: You can not load GCLive data for any geocache that is already present in a pre-existing GPX or GGZ file on your Oregon 7x0 GPSr. I do wish Garmin would configure the GPSr to load the GCLive data and let the user decide which to view, GCLive or Internal (Pre-existing).

That does seem odd.

I'm trying to decide between the Oregon 700 (hopefully a phone replacement) and an eTrex Touch 25 (which would be a GPS only, still need my phone app for the "didn't plan ahead" scenarios).

Is the Live Feature worth the extra $200 or are there enough kinks I'll still be referencing my phone?

There's no wifi download of a PQ. Features available via wifi are listed at http://www8.garmin.c...D30A89CD67.html

When I first looked at Geocaching / Geocaching Live / Lists, I just noticed bookmark lists. Indeed PQs are there! I'm amazed at how poor the documentation is provided by Garmin. Try to find anything about Geocaching Lists, PQs/Pocket Queries, etc on their Oregon 700 manual at http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/oregon7xx/EN-US/ .

There's no wifi download of a PQ. Features available via wifi are listed at http://www8.garmin.c...D30A89CD67.html

When I first looked at Geocaching / Geocaching Live / Lists, I just noticed bookmark lists. Indeed PQs are there! I'm amazed at how poor the documentation is provided by Garmin. Try to find anything about Geocaching Lists, PQs/Pocket Queries, etc on their Oregon 700 manual at http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/oregon7xx/EN-US/ .

I suspect new features have already been added since their documentation was written, and Garmin has never been known for good documentation, at least not in the last 10 years or so....