Garmin Oregon 600

Hi all

Looking for some decision help here!! I am in the market for a new GPS. I can pick up a new Oregon 600 for $270 Canadian. Is this a worthwhile purchase. I will be using the GPS for geocaching, and it will also be frequently mounted to my ATV. Just wondering if any 600 owners would chime in and let me know how they feel about this GPS, in regards to reliability and functionality. I have read some reports about not functioning in cold weather, and also random screen freezes. Are these real issues or have they been addressed with firmware/software updates. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

CC

Edited by Cache Converter

FYI -- check out the Oregon 600 wiki (they've moved to this new site):

http://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon%206xx/index.htm

I've been tempted by the dropping price of the Oregon 600, too. But honestly, knowing all of the troubles the unit has had, I've avoided it and stuck with the GPSMAP 64s.

Hopefully some Oregon 600 users can chime in here shortly...

Thanks for the information!

CC

Hi all

Looking for some decision help here!! I am in the market for a new GPS. I can pick up a new Oregon 600 for $270 Canadian. Is this a worthwhile purchase. I will be using the GPS for geocaching, and it will also be frequently mounted to my ATV. Just wondering if any 600 owners would chime in and let me know how they feel about this GPS, in regards to reliability and functionality. I have read some reports about not functioning in cold weather, and also random screen freezes. Are these real issues or have they been addressed with firmware/software updates. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

CC

the Oregon and Montana both had issues when we started on a 20f ride. they warmed up by lunchtime, and only froze (os crashes) about three times over a 120 mile day of riding. when the temperature dropped that night they were not usable again. we were riding dirt bikes.

my five year old smartphone was fine during those instances, tracked the whole ride, plotted routes while the fire cracked back at camp.

i don't have much confidence in units that crash that much.

been using the same waterproof phones for years without issue.