Add OpenStreetMap to the Geocaching maps?

Currently the Geocaching.com webpage has Google Maps and MyTopo integrated. MyTopo maps are amazing by the way. However, neither of these maps have any mapping of foot trails along which geocaches are normally found. I have crashed my way through the bushes many times to realize that the trail eventually wound itself to that cache.

OpenStreetMap.org allows anyone to add trails using their GPS logs as a guide. It's really easy and I am adding trails when I geocache now, or even go for a hike. What will it take to get geocaching.com to add this map layer?

There was another thread about this recently, and I agree that it would be a wonderful tool, especially as the maps are populated more and more. It would be wonderful if more geocachers lent their hands to developing the maps.

It's really cool, being able to upload the maps to your garmin.

Open Street Maps is open source technology, Google Maps probably doesn't support it as a layer, my husband is the map expert in our household, he's a GIS cartographer. I'll ask him when I get home, and I'll give a better answer.

If it could work though, it would be very cool.

I was just thinking about starting the very same thread. Adding the OSM layer would be incredibly helpful!

Open Street Maps is open source technology, Google Maps probably doesn't support it as a layer, my husband is the map expert in our household, he's a GIS cartographer. I'll ask him when I get home, and I'll give a better answer.

Gmap-pedometer, which is a Google mash-up I use frequently for measuring distances, has somewhat recently added OSM overlay. Check it out here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com . So it's definitely possible.

I was just thinking about starting the very same thread. Adding the OSM layer would be incredibly helpful!

Gmap-pedometer, which is a Google mash-up I use frequently for measuring distances, has somewhat recently added OSM overlay. Check it out here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com . So it's definitely possible.

Awesome!!! :)

Talked to my husband, he says yes it's possible, it's a little bit tricky to do since they would need to set up a WMS server, because although Open Street Maps is Open Source, but they invented their own data format, so not just anyone can use it. So if Groundspeak were to archive all their data and change it into a usable format it would be hypothetically possible. However, to quote him, "They already have Google Maps, why the he** would they go to all that trouble?"

However, to quote him, "They already have Google Maps, why the he** would they go to all that trouble?"

'Cause OSM has lots of map data particularly useful to geocachers (such as paths, trails, and pedestrian bridges) that Google Maps does not, I guess. Of course, it's a nice-to-have, not a must-have, but it's a very-nice-to-have.

Talked to my husband, he says yes it's possible, it's a little bit tricky to do since they would need to set up a WMS server, because although Open Street Maps is Open Source, but they invented their own data format, so not just anyone can use it. So if Groundspeak were to archive all their data and change it into a usable format it would be hypothetically possible. However, to quote him, "They already have Google Maps, why the he** would they go to all that trouble?"

It's actually much easier than that, and even better, you can have OSM mapping now!

Taken from my previous post:

For the Geocaching Maps page, add the following as a bookmark - clicking on it will add 3 different OSM options to the default map/satellite/terrain ones:

java   script:(function(){var%20script=document.createElement('script');script.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');script.setAttribute('src','http://johnmckerrell.com/files/osmify.js?rand='+Math.random());var%20heads=document.getElementsByTagName('head');if(heads[0])heads[0].appendChild(script);})()

Described at:

http://blog.johnmckerrell.com/2007/12/31/n...fy-bookmarklet/

For individual cache page maps you need this greasemonkey script:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=191618

Hope this helps!

David

[edited for typos]

Edited by d-dixon

For the Geocaching Maps page, add the following as a bookmark - clicking on it will add 3 different OSM options to the default map/satellite/terrain ones:

java   script:(function(){var%20script=document.createElement('script');script.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');script.setAttribute('src','http://johnmckerrell.com/files/osmify.js?rand='+Math.random());var%20heads=document.getElementsByTagName('head');if(heads[0])heads[0].appendChild(script);})()

Sounds intriguing, but I don't understand what to do from your description. What do you mean by "add as a bookmark"? As a bookmark to the browser? Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't seem to want to accept this as a valid link, and would not make it a bookmark. Some other type bookmark?

The greasemonkey script apparently installed successfully, but isn't doing anything as far as I can see.

Edited by chephy

Sounds intriguing, but I don't understand what to do from your description. What do you mean by "add as a bookmark"? As a bookmark to the browser? Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't seem to want to accept this as a valid link, and would not make it a bookmark

Ah, there was a typo! "javascript" should be one word, not two. Will go play with this right now.

Sounds intriguing, but I don't understand what to do from your description. What do you mean by "add as a bookmark"? As a bookmark to the browser? Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't seem to want to accept this as a valid link, and would not make it a bookmark

Ah, there was a typo! "javascript" should be one word, not two. Will go play with this right now.

OK, ignore the previous script!

Sorry, let's try to get it right this time:

java script:(function(){var%20script=document.createElement('script');script.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');script.setAttribute('src','http://johnmckerrell.com/files/osmify.js?rand='+Math.random());var%20heads=document.getElementsByTagName('head');if(heads[0])heads[0].appendChild(script);})()

NB. You need to manually remove the space between "java" and "script" that the forum software automatically inserts - I can't see a way around that.

I know it doesn't look like a standard bookmark, but if you paste this into location/address area (instead of the usual http://???) it does work - load the GC map page, then select the bookmark.

Alternatively, GreaseMonkey users can install the same thing using the link below:

http://www.dna-software.co.uk/geo/geo-osm2.user.js

Note that in both cases this script calls another script on a 3rd party site - this has potential security issues. That's one reason why the previous script I posted had a link to a local copy, which is another reason it won't have worked...

David

There was another thread about this recently, and I agree that it would be a wonderful tool, especially as the maps are populated more and more. It would be wonderful if more geocachers lent their hands to developing the maps.

It's really cool, being able to upload the maps to your garmin.

I would rather prefer to have a city street map installed in my smart phone to navigate. There are some gps street maps available for download on http://www.streetmaps.digex.cz/ (some for free). To geocache in London and Paris, I use the map for OZI explorer downloaded from here.

Regards

OZIBOY

Now we just have to get Groundspeak to adopt this.

Agreed!

With enough cachers adding trails to the maps this could stop a lot of unnecessary bushwhacking and cast geocaching in a better light.

We just have to remember to edit out our off trail excursions or we will actually increase the likelihood of spur trails.

Below is why OSM mapping would be great (in addition to the current offerings).

Google Maps are fine if you don't leave your car and are caching in areas with good map coverage. Otherwise OSM really helps. I chose a non-Western city at random (Jerusalem) and compared Google with OSM:

Google on the left, OSM on the right:

jerusalem.jpg

That's why we want OSM!

David

I just returned from a caching adventure that involved finding a trail not marked on any maps I'm aware of (not just Google maps, but even local trail maps) - and I would NEVER had found that really tucked-out-of-the-way, confusing, unmarked trail system without the OSM. I still could have used some other website to get the OSM date, of course, but the script above made it so much easier. Many sincere thanks to d-dixon!

That's a seriously awesome bit of JavaScript, thanks!

I've been involved with OSM for about the same amount of time as Geocaching, and I'm about to move to a village which has literally no roads or paths added - it just has the main A-road through it. Time for me to get busy :lol:

Okay! Now this is a fantastic use of GPS technology! Mapping foot paths and trails. Another way the geocaching community can help the general public. Like CITO, only this one could be Cache In Path Out :-D!

Awsome, truly awesome, I am all for it!

Yeah, CIPO!!!! I love that already :mad:

The following website has the code required to add the OSM Mapnik tiles to a typical Google Maps API window.

http://www.hackvalue.nl/en/article/61/usin...google_maps_api

I have not added a new tile server to a Google maps window before but this looks like a pretty solid way of doing it. The Firefox extension is great but not ideal for all users and browsers.

Hat tip (This took a lot of searching and trial to get working)

If you are using OpenStreetMap to create new trails, look into using the mytopo server for background reference since Google Maps is banned. "http://maps.mytopo.com/Groundspeak/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/!/!/!.png"

I've been using OSM maps for about a year. If the trails arent there when i start they're there when I''m done. Use them on my GPS and in mapsource. Its what I do to "give back" to the community since I haven't hidden any yet. If you're mapping trails, be sure you use a tag that shows up in mapsource. I tagged a system of trails as tracks only to find that my processor doesn't show them. Went back and retagged as highway=footway.

Edited by ras_oscar

I am handicapped with Multiple Sclerosis. I can walk, but not far. I can't walk in weeds or slightly long grass. I love the woods! I miss the woods! I want to do woods caches, but I can't get in unless there is something like a trail. It would make this wonderful game so much more cool if I could see where I could get to a trail so I could get to the cache without having to waste my time falling down over and over. I love that cache owners can post parking coordinates. It would make a big difference in my life if I could see where the trails were in relation to the cache. Then I could choose whether or not I thought I could make it. Geocaching has given me back my childhood. I've just been doing it a month, and love it!

Edited by ihatethistles