Buying Containers online

You are painting with a pretty broad brush there. There are quite a few reputable small companies that support the community by traveling all over the country to attend events and sell their products.

What evidence do you have that they are all untrustworthy and do not protect customers data?

Or are you just stirring the pond with one of these today for kicks and giggles?

_76124310_spoon_composite.jpg

You are painting with a pretty broad brush there. There are quite a few reputable small companies that support the community by traveling all over the country to attend events and sell their products.

What evidence do you have that they are all untrustworthy and do not protect customers data?

Or are you just stirring the pond with one of these today for kicks and giggles?

I was asking about the online shopping sites. Sometimes it says a good price, but then come to find out its way more because of "shipping" and theres no option to do free shipping. I don't need the item in 2 days so I don't want to pay for shipping.

The OP said, "and safe with my payment information".

I use PayPal only when I can't avoid it, and immediately de-register my credit card as soon as I'm done with the payment. It's a pain in the butt, but it's because PayPal had "an incident".

Trust, once lost, can take forever to be gained back...

I use PayPal all the time and have never had any issues.

I really thought that was a safe way of doing business on eBay. I buy and sell there myself.

Edited by Manville Possum

I was asking about the online shopping sites. Sometimes it says a good price, but then come to find out its way more because of "shipping" and theres no option to do free shipping. I don't need the item in 2 days so I don't want to pay for shipping.

It still costs money to get the product to you, whether it's 2 days or 6 weeks.

We've all been spoiled by Amazon and have come to expect 'free shipping' too much. Unless you are a super high volume site that can negotiate with the carriers, you are going to have to charge for shipping or build those costs into the price of your products and services.

The OP said, "and safe with my payment information".

I use PayPal only when I can't avoid it, and immediately de-register my credit card as soon as I'm done with the payment. It's a pain in the butt, but it's because PayPal had "an incident".

Trust, once lost, can take forever to be gained back...

I've probably been using paypal for over 10 years. The only problem i ever had was when my credit card expired and i forgot to add the new card info to the paypal site. That was my fault of course...

On deregistering your credit card,, What do you mean? I've used the "delete credit card info" on various websites over the years but when i think about it, there's absolutely no guarantee that it actually got deleted, or that the info didn't get recorded somewhere else, or that someone working the website didn't manually record the info for personal gain. For this reason, it just makes sense not to use my cc at every website i order from. I figure it's safer to use one entity like paypal instead of giving out my info every time i buy something. ;)

To the OP, the logical place to me would be Groundspeak's store. Afterall, they probably already have much of your information. I've heard that Space Coast Geocaching in Florida and Drives Cache Closet are dependable. The cheapest places would probably be Amazon and/or Ebay.

Edited by Mudfrog

There is also the official store on geocaching.com. They have some of the basic containers. I've ordered from them 4-5 times and they run a promo from time to time where you get free shipping on orders over $25. As for ebay, shipping costs and quality really depend on the seller. If it is credit card info you are worried about, just go and buy an ebay gift card from a gas station for yourself.

I usually find myself looking in stores for containers. Walmart has an ammo can for $5 that we've used for almost a year with no issues until someone stole it. I've also gone to army surplus stores to get a decon container, and roamed around hardware stores finding neat unique containers. Hope this helps.

I buy most of my stuff locally. Basically the only containers that are harder to find in quantity at a reasonable price are bison tubes. Everything else... I get Hefty brand lock'n'lock type containers just about anywhere, Tractor Supply carries metal ammo cans as a seasonal item for a pretty decent price, plastic ammo boxes from several places like Walmart or Harbor Freight, matchstick containers are a buck each at Walmart.

BTW, the advantages of AliExpress are wide selection, and low prices. I've done over a dozen orders from them over the last year (cache swag, household stuff, camping supplies), and no complaints. Shipping is of course slow, but they don't promise fast.

Interestingly, parent company AliBaba recently claimed to have become the world's largest retailer, so if anybody feels safer buying from a large, established company, there you go. AliExpress/AliBaba is actually a marketplace of thousands of small vendors, but payment processing is all handled by the umbrella company, and it seems thorough and secure. I've never heard of any breaches.

BTW, the advantages of AliExpress are wide selection, and low prices. I've done over a dozen orders from them over the last year (cache swag, household stuff, camping supplies), and no complaints. Shipping is of course slow, but they don't promise fast.

Interestingly, parent company AliBaba recently claimed to have become the world's largest retailer, so if anybody feels safer buying from a large, established company, there you go. AliExpress/AliBaba is actually a marketplace of thousands of small vendors, but payment processing is all handled by the umbrella company, and it seems thorough and secure. I've never heard of any breaches.

I was in Beijing last November working at a university for a week. One of the nights I was there they had what was calld "AliBaba Night". Apparently they are able to increase the bandwidth for accessing the site and provided discounts to specific networks so that hundreds of students can shop online at the same time. It started at midnight and ran for a couple of hours. A few days later there was a place set up for the online shoppers to pick up their packages.

vi38vFl.jpg