[Bug] Wrong "Found by User" dates in some cases

Xylanthrop

On the "Search For Geocaches" page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=John+Doe) you encounter wrong "Found by User" dates in some cases when a find-log with a newer date for a certain cache has been deleted.

The date shown on this page is always the latest date of any find-log in the database regardless of the archived status of the log-entries for this cache.

Nevertheless the row where this cache shows up on the page(s) is at the correct position of the actual date of the non-archived log-entry.

(which means, that the log dates used for sorting the find-logs and for displaying the date are not taken from the same source although they would have to be!)

Probably the same bug is responsible for wrong dates in the second row of this column, where you can find "green" dates for caches where your find-log has been deleted by the owner.

And maybe another but somehow connected error:

If you have correct multiple find-logs on a certain cache on different dates the "Search For Geocaches" page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=John+Doe) will only show the date of the latest find-log regardless of the actual date of the individual find-logs.

I can give specific examples if they could be helpful for bugtracking. (please request them via profile-mail for Xylanthrop)

This is a long-time bug that involves looking at archived logs when they should be ignored and using date of creation rather than date of log in some instances.

No, in my example it is clearly the "date of visit" (12/05/2014) that is shown and not the "date of creation" (12/09/2014).

(Although probably in many cases users immediately notice that they have not set the date for a log so the date of creation equals the date of visit when they delete such a log.)

We are currently working on an overhaul of the results pages and hope to have this issue addressed then.

Great! I hope the date "Found by User" (upper row) will then be a direct link to the corresponding log ... :rolleyes:

Great! I hope the date "Found by User" (upper row) will then be a direct link to the corresponding log ... :rolleyes:

Not sure if that will be among planned changes but it sure would save Groundspeak a lot of bandwidth and CPU power as many people I know, including me, like to browse through friends' finds and read the stories they wrote. Currently one has to load the entire listing and browse down to find a friend's log entry.

Not sure if that will be among planned changes but it sure would save Groundspeak a lot of bandwidth and CPU power as many people I know, including me, like to browse through friends' finds and read the stories they wrote. Currently one has to load the entire listing and browse down to find a friend's log entry.

We have another feature in planning that is designed to provide that sort of functionality.