Cache attributes for Garmins

JohnCNA

Since neither BaseCamp nor Garmin handhelds support cache attributes, I'm looking for work-arounds.

GSAK's 'Garmin Export' has an option to write a fake first log with text versions of the cache attributes.

That works fairly well, actually. It adds a couple steps to my workflow, though.

Are there any other options for getting cache attributes out to my handheld?

If you use GSAK there are.

Since neither BaseCamp nor Garmin handhelds support cache attributes, I'm looking for work-arounds.

GSAK's 'Garmin Export' has an option to write a fake first log with text versions of the cache attributes.

That works fairly well, actually. It adds a couple steps to my workflow, though.

Are there any other options for getting cache attributes out to my handheld?

I use a macro called Cache Attributes before export to generate the prepended log entry. One additional step is all. If the caches you plan to hit on a given day are already segregated (user flagged, for example), you can run it just on those before combining with your main list. Saves time running attributes on caches you won't be visiting.

I use a macro called Cache Attributes before export to generate the prepended log entry. One additional step is all. If the caches you plan to hit on a given day are already segregated (user flagged, for example), you can run it just on those before combining with your main list. Saves time running attributes on caches you won't be visiting.

The Garmin Export Macro does the attribute as first log if you click the right box. You can skip having to run a second macro.

You also might want to download the PkCrStatus macro and put it in the Custom Cache Name box. It puts an indicator in front of the cache name if it the cache is not active, has parking or has corrected coords so you can see in the field those items. Real handy for puzzles since you can tell when you look at the name it is solved.

If there's a puzzle in my unit, the location is already corrected for the final. Others don't get loaded. If it's a multi that is already partly solved, the location in the unit is for the next stage. Both of the aforementioned are in their own separate GSAK database and user checked when ready to copy to my regular load to the GPS. If the cache is inactive, it won't be in there at all.

Still, definitely like the other macro. Have it downloaded and will take a look at it for next week's run.

A man after my own heart... I do exactly the same, filter out the non-corrected puzzles and only upload those with corrected coordinates to the GPS

If there's a puzzle in my unit, the location is already corrected for the final. Others don't get loaded. If it's a multi that is already partly solved, the location in the unit is for the next stage. Both of the aforementioned are in their own separate GSAK database and user checked when ready to copy to my regular load to the GPS. If the cache is inactive, it won't be in there at all.

Still, definitely like the other macro. Have it downloaded and will take a look at it for next week's run.