Starting a Geocache Team

doverider

I'd like to start a geocache team that includes family and friends who are already active members.

Can that be done?

How do I set it up? (ie Register unique name?)

How do I find other teams?

What are the rules and bene's of being a team?

Any info and all advice gladly welcome!

Hugs

Doverider

In nine years of geocaching I have not run across what I believe is your description of a team. I'm not sure what the benefits of this kind of team would be but it will be interesting to see what comes up here.

My wife and I call ourselves a team because people were thinking that I am Sagefox. Sagefox is our camper van that we take to sagebrush country whenever we can. It was not fair to my wife to have folks thinking that it was just me. I've been to all our cache finds and she has been along for about 1/3rd of them. Sometime other family members join me but they are all non-logging cachers.

Many times while caching in groups folks will call themselves a team and use a temporary name such as Corn Dog Run (CDR) or some other fun name but these are temporary teams without accounts. It saves room on small logsheets to sign as a team.

To create a team with an account is a very simple matter. Just open an account and give it a name and fill in the profile information. It might make for some interesting logging questions - logging as the team and logging again as individuals.

What do you want to do as a team? What do you think others do as a team?

You may be of the impression that it's possible to gather a "geocaching team" of individual cacher account names, create a "team name account" for them and then when you go out as a group and log under the "team account name" the finds will automatically show up on those individual accounts...

but it doesn't work like that.

An account is an account, whether it's one individual or 20 friends caching together. The finds have to be logged to the individual accounts. There's no short cut.

MrsB

Ahhhh, I'm beginning to see the light!

Thanks for helping out this n00b!

Hugz

You may be of the impression that it's possible to gather a "geocaching team" of individual cacher account names, create a "team name account" for them and then when you go out as a group and log under the "team account name" the finds will automatically show up on those individual accounts...

but it doesn't work like that.

An account is an account, whether it's one individual or 20 friends caching together. The finds have to be logged to the individual accounts. There's no short cut.

MrsB

I may be thinking more of a club. I don't know. Its just that I've run into lots of folks calling themselves "Team" and wasn't sure if there was some special way of approaching it on GC. And as more of my family and friends get involved, it seems like a cool way to "Share" the fun.

I think I'll check out clubs and see if that's more 'us'.

Thanks for the info.

Doverider

In nine years of geocaching I have not run across what I believe is your description of a team. I'm not sure what the benefits of this kind of team would be but it will be interesting to see what comes up here.

My wife and I call ourselves a team because people were thinking that I am Sagefox. Sagefox is our camper van that we take to sagebrush country whenever we can. It was not fair to my wife to have folks thinking that it was just me. I've been to all our cache finds and she has been along for about 1/3rd of them. Sometime other family members join me but they are all non-logging cachers.

Many times while caching in groups folks will call themselves a team and use a temporary name such as Corn Dog Run (CDR) or some other fun name but these are temporary teams without accounts. It saves room on small logsheets to sign as a team.

To create a team with an account is a very simple matter. Just open an account and give it a name and fill in the profile information. It might make for some interesting logging questions - logging as the team and logging again as individuals.

What do you want to do as a team? What do you think others do as a team?

Hmmm, ok. Maybe I should check out clubs. That may be more what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Doverider

Sounds like you're talking about a group comprised of people who already have their own accounts.

I really don't see an advantage to creating a new account. Nothing says you can't cache as a team and post your own logs.

Hmmm, ok. Maybe I should check out clubs. That may be more what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Doverider

Sounds like you're talking about a group comprised of people who already have their own accounts.

I really don't see an advantage to creating a new account. Nothing says you can't cache as a team and post your own logs.

The groups calling themselves "Team" are generally families, and more often than not, after a short period of time, it ends up being one member of a family.

Check in your area for established geocaching groups, also attend some events in your area. You will soon have your own loosely organized group. I've made some very good friends that way.

Actually, there are a few teams in my area. For example, there are 4 experienced cachers who will often cache together. If a cache is found with 2 of the 4 together, they will log it under their team account. I believe they also log it with their individual accounts.

I also know a husband/wife team that log under a team account when caching together. The wife doesn't cache alone, but the husband does and will log those finds under his own account.

Hi,

I was thinking of a team like this, as most of my family is playing.

The benefits I was looking for is when caching, during logging it would be fun to have a stamp of some sort with just the team name on it, so we dont clutter the logbook with 4-5 names, and then everyone could log online for themselves. The cache owner would see the one log in the logbook and confirm the log for everyone online who belongs to that one log in the logbook. (hope I explain it right here xD)

So being the crafty guy I am, I would make stamps for everyone with the team name and logo of some sort I imagine, so when we cache we can quickly log and move on.

Does that sound reasonable? Would it be possible to set up something like this? I have seen many team stamps in logs before, I don't know how they manage it.

Hope someone reads this, seems to be a bit old of a post xD...

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Blondevil said:

Hi,

The benefits I was looking for is when caching, during logging it would be fun to have a stamp of some sort with just the team name on it, so we dont clutter the logbook with 4-5 names, and then everyone could log online for themselves. The cache owner would see the one log in the logbook and confirm the log for everyone online who belongs to that one log in the logbook. (hope I explain it right here xD)

So being the crafty guy I am, I would make stamps for everyone with the team name and logo of some sort I imagine, so when we cache we can quickly log and move on.

Does that sound reasonable? Would it be possible to set up something like this? I have seen many team stamps in logs before, I don't know how they manage it.

Hope someone reads this, seems to be a bit old of a post xD...

They do this in my area. There are 2 large groups of caching teams that come through about once a season and they try to get as many as they can in a day. They use a group name. One team always uses the team stamp method, each member gets a stamp. The other uses their group's acronym but someone signs in for the group. Then they all cut n paste the same GSAK form-response when each member logs the group finds for the day.  "Went caching with Group-of-the-Day. We found 63 caches today, surpassing last month's record. Thanks [#cacheowner] for your cache." 

1 hour ago, Blondevil said:

Cool.  We see a lot of folks doing this.  :)   

A large group conscious of  filling up the log ,  not wanting to be a problem with maintenance for the COs mostly.   Helpful.

- Just be sure each logger includes "caching as team whatchamacallit" in their logs for the CO.

We don't like to see cut n paste "went caching with..." logs much, with one person's log pretty-much repeated 17 times and just names changed.

- Seem to have everything to do about the group, and not about the caches they're logging.  

It seemed easy for us to make up our own log, while still mentioning we were part of a team.   Up to you.

Good luck and have fun.  :)