Hide first or wait for review?

miacova

I suggest doing your cache page write up, and on the Reviewer Note, state that you want a Coordinates Check. DO NOT check the box that the cache is in place and ready for submission. This will give you the chance to adjust if there is proximity issues and then you can place the container and submit the cache for final review.

I have a couple caches ready to hide and the cords of my hiding spots. Do I hide them then submit for review, or do I submit for review then hide?

The cache should be in place before the cache is published. It is very frustrating for cache seekers to see a cache publication email and then find out that the cache isn't even in place yet.

That being said, your chosen locations may be too close to other caches. You can check proximity for traditional caches when submitting your cache (the red circles), but that doesn't ensure that the final location of a multi or mystery cache is not nearby. You'd probably want to submit your cache listing with a note to the reviewer that you want to confirm the coordinates are okay with regard to proximity guidelines, but do not 'enable' the cache listing yet. If the reviewer says your coords are okay, then you'll want to put the cache at the coords, and then 'enable' your listing so it will go into the reviewer's queue.

If I've misspoken about this, then I'm sure others will follow up.

Edited by noncentric

Thank you for your responses, I will do just that I did enter the cords for one them and it showed up on a location that is not available, yet the geocaching app says the nearest one to that location is .4 miles. I saw somewhere that mystery caches will affect where it can be placed, perhaps that's the case for the one instance. The other has been submitted for review.

Step one enter your preferred coords on the cache page.

Step two Write a reviewer note asking for a check for any potential issues prior to placement.

Step 3 submit your cache for review- This is the most important as your local reviewer will never see your request for the check if the listing is not submitted for review.

I placed my first couple of caches yesterday, first one was approved and published this morning, and has already been found 3 times. I sent a message to one of the finders asking if they were using a stand alone gps or just a phone app, and if they had any problems with the cords. The reply from the finder stated that the app they were using took them right to the cache... So it looks like I'm on the right track.

Edited by miacova

I have a couple caches ready to hide and the cords of my hiding spots. Do I hide them then submit for review, or do I submit for review then hide?

The cache should be in place before the cache is published. It is very frustrating for cache seekers to see a cache publication email and then find out that the cache isn't even in place yet.

You cannot know how badly I cussed when I went for an FTF, but the cache had not been hidden yet!!!!!

You cannot know how badly I cussed when I went for an FTF, but the cache had not been hidden yet!!!!!

+1. It has happened 3 times to me... so far.

+1. It has happened 3 times to me... so far.

So it's not about the journey? :signalviolin:

But yes, the instructions clearly say to have the cache physically in place first.

I would post a reviewer note saying the cache is not in place, and make sure your geocache page looks like what you want it to say. Then put out the container and make sure the coords are the ones you want to use for the cache. Then "Enable" your cache so that reviewers know it is now in place and can publish it if it is approved for publishing. (Make sure you click "submit for review" as well if you haven't already).