Confluence With Destiny

GEO*Trailblazer 1

CONFLUENCE WITH DESTINY

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn In St. Louis on Jefferson Street the 22nd and 23rd of September.

The Hotels are already filling up fast so if you would like to be a part of this you need to think about starting your reservations now.

I will have some of the Lewis an Clark geocoins that have been the full length of the trail.

There are also a few others which have made the journey with us.

In the past there have not been a big number of folks that show up so this year I thought I would start a little earlier letting everyone know.

This will also be going right along with what the NGS is doing for that date.

Send me a PM if you have questions or you can post them here too.

Thanks

Charles

GEO*TRAILBLAZER 1

USGS Office of Communications Science Picks

—Leads, Feeds, and Story Seeds

August 2006 Edition

For Release: UPON RECEIPT

September Event Brings Lewis and Clark Activities to a Close

— Who thought, more than 200 years ago, a small expedition into unknown territory would greatly influence the Nation's economy, navigation and commerce? President Thomas Jefferson.

Today USGS scientists carry on the pioneering natural science investigations started during the Lewis and Clark expedition. In cooperation with more than 20 other federal agencies, the USGS has participated in the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery Bicentennial, a three-year commemorative event that will culminate in St. Louis, during the last signature event of the bicentennial, “Currents of Change,” Sept. 20-24,

(visit CURRENTS OF CHANGE ).

The USGS will sponsor an exhibit booth, provide speakers for the "Tent of Many Voices" traveling stage, and be represented as a participating Federal agency in the formal closing ceremony. Among several special products for the bicentennial, USGS has developed a web-based exhibit featuring satellite images of key places along the Lewis and Clark route at USGS LEWIS AND CLARK .

For more connections between Lewis and Clark and the USGS, see USGS AND LEWIS AND CLARK FEATURES

or contact Jon Campbell at (703) 648-4180, joncampbell@usgs.gov.

From email, Casey Brennan plans to show up to (among other things) discuss closer ties with the NGS and the GEOCAC group, and whether or not we should formalize the ties or not. I'm not sure if anything will be decided there, but...we should have a good discussion.

There's no organized meeting yet; if Charles shows up that's three. It kind of depends on Casey's (and whomever's, Dave?) schedule. Thoughts?

I haven't bought tickets yet, or arranged hotel/camping. Any thoughts on where/when to get together, even just for lunch/dinner? I'd rather meet on Saturday 23rd, so as not to have to take Thursday off work.

Thoughts? Is anyone else coming?

Edited by BuckBrooke

Yes I will be there.

The There for the 1:00 Meeting (coordinates from Geocaching events page)is at Forest Park, Lewis and Clark Signature disk.

This can be changed to what ever time frame and or location that fits.

And to the location that will be most accomadative.

We have our reservation already and will be at the Downtown H.I.

Sept. 22-23.

I would not miss this event for anything.

All -

Relay from seventhings -

Steve Randall (NGS Lewis and Clark projo) advises that a commemorative disk will be set "downtown near the NPS Arch, near where the new statue has been erected". He further advises that the dedication ceremony is tentatively scheduled for 11:00 AM, Saturday, September 23.

eom

Thanks.

Some more news.

"The Captain's Return."

New Statue Of Lewis And Clark To Grace Riverfront

It looks like it has really become something great.

I remember the first one's not many were present.

It appears this time may be different.

This is the approximate location.

I have added parking coordinates to the bottom of the Event page.

It puts you in the Parking lot right near there and the Lewis Lookout.

bf46dc09-6ff7-4fec-8e82-d519565f5760.jpg

Ok, I'm fiddling with my hotel reservations, either at a place near the airport or one with a dry sauna (hey, I like them). Whatever's reasonably inexpensive. Anyways, I'm coming in Friday afternoon, and plan to do the Saturday events (noon through the concert at 6:30). Also, the event Saturday morning.

Anyone want to get together for dinner Friday night, breakfast/lunch Saturday, or breakfast/lunch Sunday? Organizing a meal or two now might be interesting.

Edited by BuckBrooke

We too will be arriving early Friday.

Will be there all day Saturday and leave Sunday morning.

Yes I would be interested in getting together after the event.

We did that the first time with DaveD and Stephen we had a blast.

As you can imagine there is never enough time to talk to about it all.

And the Corps of Discovery II fife and drum corps marched by us in a grand procession.

Ah the memories.

And a few more to come.

We will be at the Holiday Inn downtown I believe they have all the amenities of which you speak.

I will send you my cell number Buck.

If anyone else would like it send me a PM.

The disk dedication is(at this date) for 1:00 P.M. so make sure and be at the parking area listed on the event page way before then.

I am sure there will be lots of people there.

We will meet in the NE corner of the upper level of the parking lot.

This is also if I rember right the Lewis Lookout area of the Riverfront.

It will be at the new statue.

I don't think it will be hard to miss.

All -

Steve Randall advises that the dedication ceremony for the new statue, The Captains' Return, will begin at 12:30 on Sat, Sep 23. The dedication of the commemorative disk will be a part of the statue's dedication, and will occur sometime between 12:30 and 1:00.

The new statue is just south of the Eads Bridge along the riverfront.

eom

I saw coverage of the placing of the new statue on the news last night. It looks really wonderful, with Clark and his dog looking up and obviously glad to be back in civilization. The placement is right along the riverfront, in front of the large parking garage that looms several stories over the immediate riverfront area. Also, the weather is iffy, so be aware:

Saturday

Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.

High in the lower 70s.

edit to add:

I wouldn't worry about t-storms too much or an all day rain. More likely, we will have a period of showers but no way to know when or how heavy.

Edited by rogbarn

I've spoken with Charles (GEO*trailblazer 1), and we were thinking about getting together at 6:00 Friday evening for dinner. At the moment we'll chat on the phone, but rogbarn, fivethings and whomever else plans to show up, if you want to get together than we might want to choose a location, and meet there.

We're both right near the point/park, so something in that area might be good.

I spoke with the front desk at several hotels in the area, and they recommended several restaurants in the Laclede's Landing area, just north of the park. It's about a mile walk from downtown. Three restaurants that were recommended were:

Hannegan's:

719 N. 2nd St.

http://hannegansrestaurant.com/

~$15/plate, but recommended.

live jazz

Broadway Oyster bar:

Cajun, blues, etc. Pretty good listing of awards, good food, etc.

http://broadwayoysterbar.com/

a couple streets sw of the park.

Piano Player: no info on this restaurant yet.

Old Spaghetti Factory (several recommendations):

727 N 1st St (1 1/2 streets north of the park)

Apparently a long wait, but the food is good. An old, refurbished warehouse, with old beams, etc.

Or we can meet at a predetermined spot and just pick a place.

Humidity, bleh. I'll have to dig out my umbrella.

All -

The following forwarded by CaseyB for Sat, 23rd September:

The Captains’ Return

Unveiling Ceremony Schedule

12:30 Boats Arrive at Levee 300’ South of The Captains’ Return (photos – 15 minutes)

12:45 St. Charles Fife & Drum/Re-enactors march in formation on levee to ceremony (10-15 minutes)

1:00 Presentation of Colors (Potawatomi) (1-2 minutes)

Pledge of Allegiance (led by either Potawatomi or re-enactors) (1-2 minutes)

Welcome – Mayor Slay (introduce General) (2 minutes)

Remarks – Lieutenant General Carl Strock - Corps of Engineers (2 minutes)

Remarks – Harry Weber (recognize Lucie Huger/Huger family/Michael Haynes) (3-4 minutes)

Acknowledge Contributors – Bill Durham (recognize GSLCF and campaign/donors) (3-4 minutes)

Remarks – Landon Jones (3-4 minutes)

Remarks – Bud Clark (3-4 minutes)

Unveil the Statue (Mayor Slay, Harry Weber, Cindy Huger, Michael Haynes, Bud Clark, Bill Durham and Landon Jones) (2-3 minutes)

Dedication of NGS Marker – David Doyle Senior Geodesist NOAH (3 minutes)

Fife & Drum

eom

Caution!

Be aware of the weather as we go thru the next couple of days. If you care about your vehicle, park it where it is protected from hail.

Tonight (Friday night)

Thunderstorms likely. Storms may be severe with damaging winds...large hail and tornadoes. Low in the mid 60s. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Saturday

Occasional showers and thunderstorms. High in the upper 70s. Southwest wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

I would like to personally thank Dave Doyle,Stephen Randall and Casey Brennan with the NGS for so gratiously asking me to be a part of this grand adventure and once in a lifetime opportunity.

I could not have done it without your friendships,help and support in every aspect.

I also thank those at geocaching.com for allowing me to list and do co-sponsor events with them in cooperation with the NGS.

I truely feel honored for this.

I can never repay these kinds of things but will pass it on to my children and grandchildren.

You also inspired my 2 grand daughters more than you will ever know.

I would also like to thank the many many others who attended and was a part of this as well.

It gave me hope in my fellow(benchmarkers).

To all the re-inactors of the CORPS OF DISCOVERY II.

And thanks to all those I may have forgotten.

Our Forefathers would be proud of us in our recognition to them.

Happy......................................................................GEOTRAILS