Garmin communicator plugin not detected

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a mac mini running mac os sierra 10.12.2

Safari 10.0.2

Garmin etrex 10.

No problems for years, but now when I click "send to GPS" it tells me that garmin communicator plugin is not detected.

Garmin website tells me that "you have garmin communicator plugin" and detects my etrex 10.

Have tried downloading and reinstalling plugin, no change. Have downloaded firefox and chrome, neither of which will use the plugin.

Have been to Safari/Preferences/security/ plug in settings/garmin communicator and ensured the plugin is "on"

I am not a premium member and so do not seem to have the option of downloading GPX files.

In short, I am completely stumped and rather angry.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Jez.

Wonder if anyone can help me.

Do a forumsearch and you'll have days of reading material about this. In short, communicator is best forgotten.

Hi together, I used the Garmin Communicator until the 10th of March 2017. From the eleven of March it was out of order. Itried other browser but all the other gave me the same answer: the communicator are not detected. Garmin given´t any help about this and so I think it´s time to go away from Garmin. They dont need customers, they earned enough money.

Maybe there is anybody they can give me an offer for an other system.

Regards, Wildeaue

Can anyone help?

Paying Members may place GPX files directly into the GPX folder of a Garmin GPSr, thus bypassing the plugin. This performs the same function the plugin did. If you followed this process, you'd be done by now. :anicute:

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. Not "Send To", use the "GPX File" button on a cache page. For a zipped Pocket Query, unzip the file, and you should now have at least one “GPX” file.

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

Hi together, I used the Garmin Communicator until the 10th of March 2017. From the eleven of March it was out of order. Itried other browser but all the other gave me the same answer: the communicator are not detected. Garmin given´t any help about this and so I think it´s time to go away from Garmin. They dont need customers, they earned enough money.

Maybe there is anybody they can give me an offer for an other system.

Regards, Wildeaue

Have at it. All of the other GPS manufacturers also built their communicator plugins on the NPAPI platform, and none of them have shown any indication of developing new plugins that work with modern browsers. So... can you come up with an alternative GPS maker that works with the already inefficient "send to GPS" button?

I used the Garmin Communicator until the 10th of March 2017. From the eleven of March it was out of order. Itried other browser but all the other gave me the same answer: the communicator are not detected. Garmin given´t any help about this and so I think it´s time to go away from Garmin. They dont need customers, they earned enough money.

Garmin Communicator works as always. It's the web browsers that are dropping support for various plugins. Are you going away from web browsing, too? B)

Edited by kunarion

Ummm, Garmin is replacing the plug-in within the next couple of weeks, as clearly mentioned in post #4.

I hope it's OK to mention the way that continues to work just fine: Click "GPX File", place the file manually. It's a lot like the process of placing a Pocket Query. No plug-in necessary. No waiting for the new plug-in to arrive.

I haven't needed Garmin to work on a "plug-in", in years. Well, it was handy when in some pop-up box on the site, to just click "Send To", rather than go open the cache page.

I haven't needed Garmin to work on a "plug-in", in years. Well, it was handy when in some pop-up box on the site, to just click "Send To", rather than go open the cache page.

I've never used the plug-in. That is not the point. Some people want to use it and this thread is on that subject. It should be back to life soon.

I've never used the plug-in. That is not the point. Some people want to use it and this thread is on that subject. It should be back to life soon.

Yeah, if there's a button for it, the button should do something. But there seem to be many more people using that button than those who actually need it -- for an old GPSr that can't be loaded without helper software. If they rely on "Send To", they are not managing old files. It's just asking for trouble later.

It would be best if people would stop clicking everything in the site all the time, just to click on things. "Collectible", anyone? :anibad:

Edited by kunarion
On 3/19/2017 at 8:21 AM, kunarion said:

Paying Members may place GPX files directly into the GPX folder of a Garmin GPSr, thus bypassing the plugin. This performs the same function the plugin did. If you followed this process, you'd be done by now. :anicute:

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. Not "Send To", use the "GPX File" button on a cache page. For a zipped Pocket Query, unzip the file, and you should now have at least one “GPX” file.

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

Thanks kunarion!

1 hour ago, TheRhythmClan said:

So I've been downloading GPX files for over a year, but I just got a new Garmin Oregon 650T and I was wondering if it is possible to use the "send to GPS" function? Has anything changed with the Garmin Communicator?

Nothing has changed. There's a "Send List to Garmin" feature for bookmark lists that requires you also have Garmin Express installed. But honestly, Pocket Queries are the way to go. So is GSAK or iCaching if you prefer to load a single giant GGZ or gpx file.