Austria: THE HIGHKING CODE GeoTour

https://www.geocaching.com/play/geotours/highking-code

Anyone here ever finished the THE HIGHKING CODE GeoTour? I have a few questions about logistics. Is it one complete hike? Do you drive to different locations and then hike? Can it be completed in a weekend? I have two smaller children and would like to know if they could do this or should they stay home.

Wer hier jemals fertig DIE HIGHKING CODE Geotour ? Ich habe ein paar Fragen, Logistik. Ist es eine komplette Tour ? Haben Sie an verschiedene Orte fahren und dann zu wandern ? Kann es an einem Wochenende durchgeführt werden ? Ich habe zwei kleine Kinder und würde gerne wissen, ob sie dies tun könnte , oder sollten sie zu Hause bleiben . Vielen Dank und sorry für die Google Übersetzt Text!

https://www.geocaching.com/play/geotours/highking-code

Anyone here ever finished the THE HIGHKING CODE GeoTour? I have a few questions about logistics. Is it one complete hike? Do you drive to different locations and then hike? Can it be completed in a weekend? I have two smaller children and would like to know if they could do this or should they stay home.

Many cachers have vompleted it (see the logs of the caches), however hardly any of them will visit this forum.

There are some cachers who managed to visit all 35 caches in a weekend, but they are quite fit (more than 63km and more than 3000 height meters if done in one hike). Other groups report to have needed 4 days and have used different starting points and still felt it was challenging. Of course some caches can be done quite quickly (and they do not involve long hikes), if you want to do all of them within 2 days, it's challenging.

Note moreover that if want to do all caches that right now several of the caches are disabled and not available.

Edited by cezanne

Friday is the new Wednesday :ph34r:

Is it one complete hike?

Yes, it's a 3 day hike if you do all the caches, with children I would add another day. If you like, you can spend the night at Erich hütte (near #16). In summer time, you should make reservations especially for the weekend. Only a few are along the main road. The rest you can only reach by foot. The trail is not hard, not very steep, so if your kids are in good shape and not too small, it won't be a problem to take them.

Do you drive to different locations and then hike?

If you want to be at home at night, there is a bus running on the main road and there are some parking lots suggested. The bus stops at those parking lots. You can get a schedule at one of the three information desks. The bus stops are on the map, indicated with an "H".

Can it be completed in a weekend?

Yes.

If you want to do all caches, my suggestion would be to do #1-10 on an evening. Then start the next day at #11. Walk to #17 and take the bus to #11, or skip #17 and spend the night in Erich hütte. The following day, you can do #16-#33 or #35 and return by bus.

The HKC contains 35 caches, but I only found 17 of those. When I found 14-15 caches, I was able to crack the code to collect the coin. It took me 2 days. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay at the Erich hütte (full), so I did day trips and because I needed to wait too long for the bus, I walked back on the side of the road.

At the info desk they said that the night cache was needed to crack the code, but I was able to do without (but still went for the night cache). That is when you like puzzling and understand both English and German :rolleyes:

In all, it is definitely a recommender. Good caches, no micro's and excellent views. I really enjoyed it, even in the rain.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Yes, it's a 3 day hike if you do all the caches,

3 days is feasible for those who have some hiking experience, but are just in moderate shape (3 days would be feasible for me for example).

With a higher degree of fitness 2 days are well manageable and I know several cachers who can do it in one day (but I do not think that the OP

belongs to that category). Moreover, with children anything less than 3 days for all caches is certainly a bad idea.

I truly apologize for my lack of a response, I didn't have the notifications turned on. I thank everyone for their input. I just got back from attempting THE HIGHKING CODE GeoTour!! I fell short of cracking the code, but am planning a return trip to finish. I had two long days of hiking and probably need one more to complete it, as I am a pretty average hiker. Thanks for the replies to my original post!

-cache-minions

Hallo,

wir planen derzeit unseren Herbsturlaub und sind dabei auf den Highking Code gestossen. Unser Basislager würde in Hinterthal das Alpina-Hotel sein. und dann hätten wir eine Woche Zeit.

Gibt es hier Tupperfreunde die sich auch in der dritten Oktoberwoche (17-24) an dem Code versuchen wollen ???

Hat jemand Erfahrungen mit dem Hotel Alpin-Hinterthal ????

Gruß

Emilspappa