Very slow upload of photos

MiSiYa

Hi, maybe it is just me, but for the last three days I am experiencing an extremely slow upload of photos/images when submitting a new log. In the past this upload was almost instantly, but recently it takes at least 10-15 seconds, sometimes up to half a minute, for the browser to finish.

(I am using Firefox 42 under Ubuntu 14.04.)

Best

MiSiYa

Are you sending ginormous images directly off the camera?

If so, try reducing the images to a reasonable size (640* x 480 is what the popup image-displayer is limited to for landscape), BEFORE uploading. Letting Groundspeak's servers shrink the image for you wastes bandwidth, in addition to being slow.

(* Used to be 800. I miss that. Why take nice pictures if you can't see the detail?)

As I am searching for help on an unrelated problem, I found this short thread.

For what it is worth, several months ago I had to start shrinking already small images before uploading to Groundspeak. Groundspeak server would not accept any images larger than 640x480 or thereabouts. The compression feature simply stopped working for me. Working with their tech support went nowhere. About the same time, geocache description pages would not load for me. The solution for the slow or no page loads at that time was to utilize a VPN as suggested by GC techs. No idea why that helped, but it did. Somewhere along the way, that problem disappeared and the VPN is not needed, but images still must be small to upload for me. My internet provider is a satellite service and I suspect that latency timing is a big part of my issue but nonetheless Groundspeak servers do not always play nice.