What is the difference between Garmin US Topo maps 100k and Topo Maps 24k?

I've used both and find the 24K more valuable when hiking in an area with elevation changes. With greater detail comes better understanding of the terrain and being able to follow the ridgeline instead of perhaps walking along the side or up and then back down and then up and back down..... Other than that, I also like the routable aspect on my units with 24K mSD cards. The 100K works for me just fine in the northern half of my state as there aren't a lot of elevation changes in our mostly farmland area.

I've used both 100K and 24K and I much prefer the 24K. There are a number of advantages other than the resolution of topo lines to consider. The 24K gives you the ability to search for street addresses and street route to your destination. The 24K offers routable trails. The 24K has a higher resolution Digital Elevation Model (DEM) that generates the terrain shading. Not only does it give you better terrain shading but there are a few bits of data that are calculated using those DEMs and the higher the resolution the more accurate that data will be. For example many modern Garmin units allow you to see the terrain profile of the route ahead of you. The DEM is used in this calculation and the 24K elevation prediction will be better resolution. The "Vertical Distance to Destination" data field in the trip computer also uses the DEM to obtain the elevation of your destination. There are a few other data fields and processes that can be done with greater accuracy using the 24K maps.

There is also more resolution and inclusiveness of water features.

Edited by yogazoo

I have a Garmin Montana and have an older dvd of 2008 Topo 100k USA and just ordered the 24k Topo of the SouthWest since I live in CO. Would there be any benefit to have both maps on my unit?

If you wandered outside the 24K coverage you'd still have topo. That's how I have mine loaded- both. You can Enable/Disable it as desired.