Etrex 20: installing maps

Fam_Wuyts

I have one simple question. :)

I know there are several ways to install an openstreetmap on my Garmin, like using Basecamp or copying the .img-file directly on the root of the GPS with Windows Explorer.

Is there a difference in both methods ? Copying the IMG-file on my GPS seems to work fine and I don't need the rest of the Basecamp options, since I'm a light user.

So...can I continue copying maps through Win Explorer or should I - for some reason - use Basecamp ?

What do you think ?

I have one simple question. :)

I know there are several ways to install an openstreetmap on my Garmin, like using Basecamp or copying the .img-file directly on the root of the GPS with Windows Explorer.

Is there a difference in both methods ? Copying the IMG-file on my GPS seems to work fine and I don't need the rest of the Basecamp options, since I'm a light user.

So...can I continue copying maps through Win Explorer or should I - for some reason - use Basecamp ?

What do you think ?

I prefer the BaseCamp method. For one thing, when you look at your caches on the map in BaseCamp, you're looking at the exact same map as you will on your device. On a nice big screen, of course. BaseCamp has a "view in Google Earth" menu choice that takes what is on your BaseCamp screen and loads them into Google Earth. Makes flipping back and forth between the map view and satellite view very quick and easy.

I do most of my caching in woodsy areas, so reviewing terrain and satellite views before I head out is pretty important to me. Depending on your caching style and preferences, this might not be as important to you as it is to me.

If it works for you, why change? The only reason I would use BaseCamp (or MapSource) would be to load portions of the map. In BaseCamp, you can pick specific regions to upload to your GPSr, versus uploading the entire .img file. This would be of value if you had a limited memory in your GPSr. But since you can use your Etrex 20's memory card to store maps, that wouldn't be an issue. Actually, I've heard it's a good idea to use the memory card to store maps versus the GPSr internal memory in case the uploaded map gets corrupted somehow. Your GPSr might not boot up if the corrupted file is internal. If the corrupt file is on the memory card, just remove the card to boot up the GPSr.

If it works for you, why change? The only reason I would use BaseCamp (or MapSource) would be to load portions of the map. In BaseCamp, you can pick specific regions to upload to your GPSr, versus uploading the entire .img file. This would be of value if you had a limited memory in your GPSr. But since you can use your Etrex 20's memory card to store maps, that wouldn't be an issue. Actually, I've heard it's a good idea to use the memory card to store maps versus the GPSr internal memory in case the uploaded map gets corrupted somehow. Your GPSr might not boot up if the corrupted file is internal. If the corrupt file is on the memory card, just remove the card to boot up the GPSr.

Use a Class 10 SD card with your maps on it. You will find it scrolls quicker that it does when installed onto the main storage. Keep your pq's on the SD card as well.