Used Rino 530 wont turn on

MrPrice

Picked up a used Rino 530 today from a flea market. Lithium Ion battery.. but had no charger and wouldnt turn on there. The guy said it was in a box of military surplus equipment he received and didnt know anything about it. It had Sgt. Jones written on the side so its been used by military personnel.

I picked it up for $20. Figured I'd take a chance to get it working, as I'd love to own one of these. I noticed it had a usb port on the back that my cell phone charger used. I came home and plugged it in overnight but it still wont turn on.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd be extremely happy if I could get this to work! As an avid cacher and Boy Scout leader, it'd be very handy!

Thanks in advance.

This unit wont accept AA batteries. The back has a Lithium Ion pack but when you remove that there is no place to put in normal batteries.

There are AA battery packs that will allow you to use AAs instead. An example here.

My neighbor (uses 'em for bear hunting) says he understood that with alkalines your talk distance (in watts) is half that of the oem lithium ion.

Not sure why or if true.

Great help everyone thanks! Especially appreciate the AA idea. Im okay buying a new LI battery.. but would love to make sure the unit works before spending the money on the battery plus a charger for it. That will run around $70.. but considering I have $20 in the unit so far.. it would still be worth it.