Can I place a geocache one month before I move away?

Turion

I'm moving away from England to Germany in a month. I found the ideal location for a cache - beautiful, few people, public land, accessible, lots of little places and holes. I'd love to place my first cache there. But I wouldn't be able to come for maintenance after a month. Should I still do it? Maybe someone else will want to adopt the cache when I leave? How would I find such a person?

I'm moving away from England to Germany in a month. I found the ideal location for a cache - beautiful, few people, public land, accessible, lots of little places and holes. I'd love to place my first cache there. But I wouldn't be able to come for maintenance after a month. Should I still do it? Maybe someone else will want to adopt the cache when I leave? How would I find such a person?

I can't tell from what you wrote if the location is in Germany (where you'll be moving to) or in England. If it's where you're moving *to*

that's something that you could probably ask your reviewer. Waiting a month before visiting is probably fine. If you just submit a listing for the new cache the reviewer is likely going to ask for an explanation for why, and if they have a problem with you not being able in the area for a month you could asked to hold off publishing the cache for a few weeks. That should "reserve" the spot.

If the location in England you're probably going to run into "cache permanence" issues and would be required to have a maintenance plan in place for after you move to Germany.

Seems like a bad idea. Your Reviewer might not think much about it, either. He/she might point out a few problems with it as per the Guidelines. (You've read the Guidelines over and over and over, right?)

Why not just contact someone to help them place the cache, and they can be the responsible owner? "Credit" for your help could be in the "placed by" line, but the actual ownership would be with the person who is not going to move away in a month.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I agree with the other answers that you should not do it.

The one exception *might* be if you have a family member close by who is dependable, able and willing to maintain it for you.

But why get into this complexity in the first place? Look ahead to your new location and place something there.