Challenge caches?

SaRothe

Hi, sorry if this doesn't belong here! I've only started within the past couple months and only have about 30 finds so far. I've been watching a lot of videos and reading to learn more about everything, but one thing I'm still pretty confused about is challenge caches. It seems like every time I read something about them, it says something different and I can't figure out exactly what they are. My understanding is that there are requirements that need to be met in order to have them published and in order to find them, but I just don't understand exactly what they are. Why are they special/are they even special? What makes it a challenge cache? Possibly an example of a challenge cache as I'm not understanding what sort of caches they are? How are they different from say... field puzzles or something like that?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, I'm probably overthinking this!

Thanks in advance everyone!

From the Help Center:

A challenge cache requires that geocachers meet a geocaching-related qualification or series of tasks before the challenge cache can be logged. Waymarking, Benchmarking, and Wherigo-related tasks also qualify. The additional qualification or geocaching-related tasks are considered the basis of a challenge cache, rather than Additional Logging Requirements (ALRs).

Challenge caches vary in scope and format. All challenge caches must be in the affirmative and require that something be accomplished. Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that there are sufficient available geocaches to meet the challenge at the time of publication. Reviewers may ask the geocache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

Link for reference:

Challenge Caches

Why are they special/are they even special?

Unlike the majority of caches, the Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) makes them unique. Earthcaches, grandfathered Virtuals and Webcams, also are allowed to have ALR's

What makes it a challenge cache?

For the purposes of a definition, a Challenge Listing must be Listed as a Puzzle cache (?), have the word Challenge in it's Title, and have some geocaching related ALR. Other than that, they are pretty much like any other cache. Most of them are at the posted coordinates on the Listing page, but not all.

How are they different from say... field puzzles or something like that?

Field Puzzles typically have some physical "game piece" that must be solved in order to either access the logbook or advance to subsequent Stages/Final cache locations. For instance, I did a Multi which had an acrostic poem as one of its Stages. Once solved, it spelled out a word that helped me advance to the Final. For Challenge Listings, the requirement is to fulfill the geocaching related task stated on the Listing page to log a Find.

There is currently a moratorium on new Challenge Listing submissions, while Groundspeak evaluates the best way to move forward with this unique cache design.

Thanks for asking!

It seems like every time I read something about them, it says something different and I can't figure out exactly what they are.
Are you referring to the logging requirements for different challenge caches?

Challenge caches are similar to each other in that they have a logging requirement (beyond signing the log). But different challenge caches have different logging requirements. One may require that you find at least one cache in every county of a state. Another may require that you find at least one cache of each of the 81 difficulty-terrain combinations. Another may require that you find at least one cache that begins with each letter of the alphabet. And so on.

So if you look at what is required for different challenge caches, you will see different requirements for each.

From the Help Center:

Link for reference:

Challenge Caches

What makes it a challenge cache?

For the purposes of a definition, a Challenge Listing must be Listed as a Puzzle cache (?), have the word Challenge in it's Title, and have some geocaching related ALR. Other than that, they are pretty much like any other cache. Most of them are at the posted coordinates on the Listing page, but not all.

How are they different from say... field puzzles or something like that?

Field Puzzles typically have some physical "game piece" that must be solved in order to either access the logbook or advance to subsequent Stages/Final cache locations. For instance, I did a Multi which had an acrostic poem as one of its Stages. Once solved, it spelled out a word that helped me advance to the Final. For Challenge Listings, the requirement is to fulfill the geocaching related task stated on the Listing page to log a Find.

Thanks this helped SO much! I was confused even after having read that page you linked to a few times, but I wasn't understanding the part about the additional requirements!

It seems like every time I read something about them, it says something different and I can't figure out exactly what they are.
Are you referring to the logging requirements for different challenge caches?

Challenge caches are similar to each other in that they have a logging requirement (beyond signing the log). But different challenge caches have different logging requirements. One may require that you find at least one cache in every county of a state. Another may require that you find at least one cache of each of the 81 difficulty-terrain combinations. Another may require that you find at least one cache that begins with each letter of the alphabet. And so on.

So if you look at what is required for different challenge caches, you will see different requirements for each.

I don't think I'm referring to the logging requirements for different challenge caches. I know that each one has different requirements, I was confused about them being listed. I didn't understand how they were listed/what made them special since I thought they were just the same as field puzzles. I had read a few things about how you can't see challenge caches until you've completed the requirements, and another page talking about how they're listed for everyone right off the bat. I also didn't understand the info page talking about how owners need to provide proof that it's possible for other cachers to complete the requirements, which is when I started to think they weren't any different than a puzzle cache. I think I was just really over thinking some of the info I read, oops!

A challenge cache is (usually) a traditional cache, but you have to have completed the challenge before logging a found online.

Usually the physical cache is at the stated coordinates, it has a physical container and a physical log. Just like a traditional cache. You can go and find it and sign the physical log. However, unless you have completed the challenge component, you can only log a write note at this point.

The actual challenge varies from cache to cache. Examples, Find 26 caches each beginning with a different letter of the alphabet; find a cache in 4 different USstates in one day; find two caches on different continents in one day.

Once you have completed the challenge and found the physical cache, then you can log the cache as found.

Edited by Gill & Tony

I had read a few things about how you can't see challenge caches until you've completed the requirements, and another page talking about how they're listed for everyone right off the bat.

They're treated the same way as all other caches in this respect. Once they're published, they're visible on the map.

I also didn't understand the info page talking about how owners need to provide proof that it's possible for other cachers to complete the requirements...

This is to help prevent impossible challenges. Some challenges are just too difficult or complicated for more than a select few people to complete, if anyone.