Geocoins relating to U.K. and Ireland.

Lactodorum

It seems tha personalised geocoins are becoming ever more popular and as a consequence we're seeing more publicity given to them in this forum. Up to now I've taken a very laid back approach to allowing cross posting which really ought not to be allowed if I followed the forum guidelines to the letter.

However there have been recent instances of non-UK Geocoins being advertised here as well as in the Geocoin Discussions forum. I've let them go up to now but I'm going to tighten up a bit by insisting that they stick to the proper forum.

Despite a strict interpretation of the guidelines disallowing it, I'm happy to let UK coins continue to get mentioned here as I feel it is appropriate for the people who read this forum.

I trust you understand and if you are interested in non-UK coins please continue to visit the Geocoin Discussions forum.

coool, now is there a 'Northumbrian geo coin?' Being from that part of the 'UK' I really want one, or two maybe three.

Aye Aye

Yo Fraggle69 i'm Sithlord66 i am not from the Uk i'm from Us Hell Yeh. In Us we have over 7 mil. geocoins i alone have 41!!! I am a very devoted geocacher how bout' u. Tell me how life is in the Uk :laughing:

coool, now is there a 'Northumbrian geo coin?' Being from that part of the 'UK' I really want one, or two maybe three.

Aye Aye

Yo Fraggle69 i'm Sithlord66 i am not from the Uk i'm from Us Hell Yeh. In Us we have over 7 mil. geocoins i alone have 41!!! I am a very devoted geocacher how bout' u. Tell me how life is in the Uk :laughing:

i recently bought a couple of Geocoins from a US "manufacturer"

When they arrived, both coins came in a packet saying Made In China.

Which brings me to ask - does anyone know of any Chinese manufacturers? Almost certainly resourcing them from China would be cheaper than the US

I enquired about getting my own coins minted from three authorised coin manufacturers, but the cheapest quote of nearly £800 for 250 coins is a little OTT, in my opinion.*

That is, unless anyone would be interested in buying a motorcycling based cachin coin

*Edit - that does include activation, three colours on black nickel base metal, and personal icon

thanks in advance

RedGuzziV10

Made in China but QC is USA

Which minter out of interest because I used Coinsandpins.com and allowing for changes in currency exchanges that sounds about right.

Making a personal coin ain't cheap :huh:

if that's about right, then so be it...

i'm not really into the whole collecting thing, and blowing £800 on coins that will be put into caches really isn't justifiable at the moment.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time :(

ps. you've just mentioned one of the minters.

You can save a bit of money by going straight to a Chinese mint but you then accept all the risks of the project. Can you imagine trying to get through exactly what you require to a chinese sales rep for whom english is his/her second language (think call centers). Going through a middle man means that they accept the risk of something not being right and it gets put straight at their expense. In my experience most of the top coin manufacturers do a great job and I go through them myself to make it a trouble free experience for me rather than going to a mint myself.

if that's about right, then so be it...

i'm not really into the whole collecting thing, and blowing £800 on coins that will be put into caches really isn't justifiable at the moment.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time :)

just an idea for you, have you thought about 'pathtags' as another way of getting a personal coin

they can be found HERE

hope this helps some

b. :)

Is there a definitive list of British geocoins anywhere? Which counties have their own coin? I'd love to start collecting them.

Does Shropshire have its own coin? If not, would any Shropshire-based cachers be up for working together to produce one? I love this county with a passion :ph34r:

Is there a definitive list of British geocoins anywhere? Which counties have their own coin? I'd love to start collecting them.

Does Shropshire have its own coin? If not, would any Shropshire-based cachers be up for working together to produce one? I love this county with a passion :ph34r:

I've not heard of a British list so to speak but you might find Deegos list a good place to find some:

http://www.deego.co.uk/web/gc/photolist.htm

Ones I know of are the:

Best of British 2006, Best of British 2007, Lancashire Coin, Yorkshire Coin, Dartmoor Coin, Blackpool Tower Coin, Stone Henge Coin, Wykenwizards Coins, UK geocoin 2005, Scotland Coin, Wales Coin, London Round Coin, London Phone Box Coin, Isle of Man Coin, England Coins, Kernow Cachers Coin (Cornwall)

There are definitely more but those are the only ones that spring to mind at the moment. I don't think that there is a Shropshire one though. I may be wrong so don't quote me on that though.

Does Shropshire have its own coin? If not, would any Shropshire-based cachers be up for working together to produce one? I love this county with a passion :)

I've not heard of a British list so to speak but you might find Deegos list a good place to find some:

Ones I know of are the:

Best of British 2006, Best of British 2007, Lancashire Coin, Yorkshire Coin, Dartmoor Coin, Blackpool Tower Coin, Stone Henge Coin, Wykenwizards Coins, UK geocoin 2005, Scotland Coin, Wales Coin, London Round Coin, London Phone Box Coin, Isle of Man Coin, England Coins, Kernow Cachers Coin (Cornwall)

There are definitely more but those are the only ones that spring to mind at the moment. I don't think that there is a Shropshire one though. I may be wrong so don't quote me on that though.

Hello,

Just received confirmation from The Haywood Hornets to let me know that he has just taken delivery of "The Staffordshire Geocoin"..........that's another one for the British list !

Iain doesn't plan to put them on open sale but says he will be taking them to events........having seen the design myself, I expect them to get snapped up pretty quickly !!

John :)

www.lancashire-geocoins.co.uk

Ones I know of are the:

Tonibunny, also a point to note is that all coins that celebrate British places are not necessarily made by British cachers, hence may not necessarily feature what one might readily associate with an area.

Certainly the Stonehenge coin is an example of this and although it is a nice coin with nice icon, it actually is part of a worldwides series as far as I understand it. It has "Stone Circles of the United Kingdom" written on it. I am not certain but I think the Dartmoor one may have been made by cachers from abroad too ... perhaps someone could confirm? Edit: Dartmoor now confirmed to be a home grown coin [B)]

Personally, I really like coins that are produced by the cachers of the area rather than those from other parts of the world. Home grown ones tend to be far more detailed and relevant in my opinion.

In my experience, I have found that the British origin ones tend to be popular abroad. When I go to the States and parts of Europe for example, I always take a handful of my British ones and people really enjoy looking at them and discovering them.

If you can find someone to colaborate with on a Shropshire coin, I suspect it would sell well ... if selling is your aim of course. Go for it!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Cheers Dorsetgal! I love Shropshire because I have a lot of ancestors who came from there and I feel really "connected" to the county because of this. I feel so at home there. It's such a beautiful county and I love to tour around the villages where my ancestors lived, learning about the history of each place. So, hopefully I would be able to create a coin that really celebrates Shropshire :(

Tonibunny, also a point to note is that all coins that celebrate British places are not necessarily made by British cachers, hence may not necessarily feature what one might readily associate with an area.

Certainly the Stonehenge coin is an example of this and although it is a nice coin with nice icon, it actually is part of a worldwides series as far as I understand it. It has "Stone Circles of the United Kingdom" written on it. I am not certain but I think the Dartmoor one may have been made by cachers from abroad too ... perhaps someone could confirm? Edit: Dartmoor now confirmed to be a home grown coin [:)]

Personally, I really like coins that are produced by the cachers of the area rather than those from other parts of the world. Home grown ones tend to be far more detailed and relevant in my opinion.

In my experience, I have found that the British origin ones tend to be popular abroad. When I go to the States and parts of Europe for example, I always take a handful of my British ones and people really enjoy looking at them and discovering them.

If you can find someone to colaborate with on a Shropshire coin, I suspect it would sell well ... if selling is your aim of course. Go for it!

Greetings from Ontario, Canada. HELP!!! I came across a coin while doing cache maintenance today and I can seem to track or find the owners.

"The Bard of Avon" #50, 2006, SHAKESHEARE COUNTY GEO-CACHERS WARWICKSHIRE UK. along with a bust of Skakespeare is on the front. A wonderful depiction of his birthplace is on the back of the coin.

Any help or information about this coin would be appreciated, thanks.

dutchmaster

Greetings from Ontario, Canada. HELP!!! I came across a coin while doing cache maintenance today and I can seem to track or find the owners.

"The Bard of Avon" #50, 2006, SHAKESHEARE COUNTY GEO-CACHERS WARWICKSHIRE UK. along with a bust of Skakespeare is on the front. A wonderful depiction of his birthplace is on the back of the coin.

Any help or information about this coin would be appreciated, thanks.

dutchmaster

The coin you mention was made by WykenWizard. It is a non-trackable coin you can find out more info regarding his coins here: http://www.wykenwizard.co.uk/wizard%20geo%20coins.htm

He has made loads of very nice coins. I hope you find this info usefull.

Ian

Thanks Ian, But I actually meant to say has anyone got theirs yet, we paid for them yonks ago and despite emails still have not received the coins or any response from Daryl.
Oh right, well I hope that you don't have to wait much longer and get the coins soon or at least hear back from Daryl.

Got my fingers crossed for you..

I have some of my personal Geojellies3 coins for trade, they're called "Violaberry" (cos I play the viola, heh) and are dark pink glitter on silver nickel. They're lovely, I'm very pleased with how they've turned out :-)

If anyone's interested, I'd love to swap for other geojellies or for coins referring to UK history or places. I can be contacted through my profile. Ta!

Does anyone have any very English or European coins for sale please (I don't have any to trade)? I am looking for two to send to Canada very shortly, and it would be nice for them to have a strong flavour of this side of the pond.

Thanks, Ness.

There's a nice selection at UKgeocachers, reasonably priced with a very fast turn around. :drama:

Welcome to the coin addiction :drama:

Good Morning Folks!

Today, to coincide with the lighting of the Olympic Flame in Ancient Olympia Greece, my geocoin, celebrating my part in the Olympic Torch Relay has gone on sale.

It is available now at Castle Coins and Pins and I shall have a smaller amount in hand here in the UK later in the week.

They come in Gold, Silver and LE Nickel for sale and there are also some XLE Glitter ones which will not be on general sale.

Here's a preview of the LE Nickel

2173d635-8cc3-4cd2-8608-f294f18f3f50.jpg

As there are rumours floating round that Dorsetgal & GeoDog geocoin which has a torch and linked rings on it is in breach of the use of Copywrited Trade Marks. Both Dorsetgal & GeoDog and the coin manufacturer who is responsible for the sale of and distribution of a large percentage of the coins. Are both satisfied that there is not breach of whether intentional or not of any copywrited Trade Marks owned by the owners of the Olympic Symbols or the trademarks belonging to the organisers of the Beijing Olympic Games.

If anyone has any query's over the designs on the coins, they are requested to contact either the coin manufacture or Dorsetgal & GeoDog directly with their concerns.

Deceangi Volunteer UK Moderator/Reviewer Geocaching.com

Just git one of muttoneers coins today and very nice it is too. I was wondering what the little bit of script on the branch means?

Thanks, Ness.

Really glad you like it! The script is "muttoneer hic fecit" which means "muttoneer made this" - I always knew that Latin A Level would come in handy some day :unsure:

While I remember, for anyone else wanting one of my coins please note I will be away from home for the next 10 days but I'll sort out all orders received in the meantime asap when I get back :huh:

Today, to coincide with the lighting of the Olympic Flame in Ancient Olympia Greece, my geocoin, celebrating my part in the Olympic Torch Relay has gone on sale.

<snip>

They come in Gold, Silver and LE Nickel for sale and there are also some XLE Glitter ones which will not be on general sale.

One of the XLE glitter editions of this coin is up for silent auction (in aid of Dogs for the Disabled) here :unsure:

Good Morning Folks!

It is available now at Castle Coins and Pins and I shall have a smaller amount in hand here in the UK later in the week.

Here's a preview of the LE Nickel

2173d635-8cc3-4cd2-8608-f294f18f3f50.jpg

Wendy the coin looks fabulous and I'm going to get one or two. I read your story on Castle Coins and Pins and was very touched and felt somewhat ashamed having known you for so long and not really knowing any of that. Thank you for everything you do for the disabled community - I've sent a link to your torch thread to my paraplegic brother. Liane :P

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

The 2008 Coins are here in Sunny Cornwall as we speak, the actual order form should go on line this week, people who pre-ordered being given preference in ordering, with the few remaining coins going on general sale.

The quote in the Cornish language on the coin, is an old Cornish toast "Copper, Tin and Fish" and hence why the coin is available in two metals - Antique Silver (The nearest I could get to tin and in Antique Copper - and produced by the very wonderful Canadians at Landsharkz - Thank you Helen and Chris.

coins%20front.jpg

coins%20rear.jpg

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

Wendy the coin looks fabulous and I'm going to get one or two. I read your story on Castle Coins and Pins and was very touched and felt somewhat ashamed having known you for so long and not really knowing any of that. Thank you for everything you do for the disabled community - I've sent a link to your torch thread to my paraplegic brother. Liane B)

Many thanks Liane, I do now have a selection of all finishes of the coins in hand if anyone missed out in the original sale. B)