GPS Decision Advice Please

Hi All,

So far I've been geocaching without a GPS, been memorising googlemaps, then setting off using my memory & handwritten notes which is all very well with landmarks to remember but I want to start placing caches & being able to get caches out in fields etc. that have no landmarks to memorise.

I don't have a big budget & I had tried a Magellan Explorist 110 which was rubbish so I'm looking at two Garmins now...can anyone please give me their thoughts on the following two models. Trying to figure out which is the better.

Garmin eTrex 10

Garmin Dakota 10

Thank you!

Worth a read, if you haven't already > http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html#whichgps

General opinion on the forums seems to be to go for a 20, rather than the 10, due to lack of memory on the 10's.

If you're after maps, talkytoasty's maps fro OSM are free. And there's a link further down the UK froum.

Linky > http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=216453

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Of the two you've selected, the Dakota has the better spec, because it can hold more caches (2000 vs 1000), plus it has a colour screen and you can load (free) maps onto it.

I have the Dakota, and the other main difference between them is that the Dakota is a touch screen device like many of the other, more expensive Garmins, whereas the etrexes have a joystick. It depends what you prefer.

As stated, above, most people tend to go for an etrex 20, but that will take you above the price of the Dakota 10, so it depends what you want and how much you want to pay. Similarly, a Dakota 20 gives you the better 3-axis compass and an SD card slot that you can use for caches and for maps.

Personally, I've been very happy with my Dakota 10.

The biggest downside of the Dakota 10 for me would be lack of a sd card slot, and a rather small internal memory. If I was going to consider either the Dakota or the Etrex then it would be the 20 version of each.

I prefer a joystick, which is why I have an Etrex 20, and as it also has GLONASS here in the UK at least it's proven more accurate than any other GPS I've compared it to

+1

Don't forget the used market. Been some awesome deals on older GPSs. Craigslist is a really good source for deals because they aren't listed often and you can usually haggle on price a little. eBay may have some deals but I am very worried about them these days, but maybe a local only eBay sale (where you can verify the unit is fully working).

And if you lose/break it you lose everything ... phone, GPS, camera etc :)

This.

I love my phone for caching. I use it more and more. I use it more than my dedicated GPSr. In fact, thinking about it, it's been so long since I got it out I am not 100% sure where my dedicated GPSr is at the moment. But a dedicated GPSr still is more rugged than a phone, that much I am aware of.

I haven't seen the newer eTrex's in operation, but I have held and used a Dakota. I liked the clear display of he maps that were on it.

I agree with that as well. If I didn't have a GPS, I would have got through a few phones by now. It can be round my neck on a lanyard, it works in the rain and in the cold (even with gloves on), I can give it to my kids to use, it has a regularly updated PQ of my nearest 1000 caches, I can use it abroad without incurring roaming charges, and probably a few other things I've forgotten.

But at least I can have a replacement in less than 24 hours and all my data is backed up (cloud computing FTW).

That's useful, especially if you've just dropped it into a bog, in the middle of a fog covered Dartmoor :lol: