Magellan Explorist GC and Windows 8.1

I wanted to say something about the Magellan Explorist GC and the recent update, the Magellan Communicator for Geocaching.com, and Windows 8.1. None of them work. I got a Garmin Nuvi a few weeks ago and caches download to it just fine. When I try to download to the Magellan, nada. "Not recognized". When plugged into the USB, it comes up as a drive, but 8.1 says "insert a disk in the drive". Duh, there is data on it! I saw on another forum where a lady say she was putting a call into Micro$oft. (!) Perhaps she needs to call Donald Trump too.

It is a problem with the software, not Windows 8.1. I was having this problem, and saw where all kinds of people were installing it with Windows 7, and I have a Vista machine (I LOVE Windows Vista!), and took the whole shootin' match over to it. The Explorist comes up as a drive, and shows me the contents of the "disk". Communicator installs quite nicely. I am in the process right now of installing the software update; it just finished and waiting to see what the GC does. It do what it do. Came up with all new software (2.15)!!!

It is not a problem with the software, the device, the computer, or the operating system; it is that Magellan is too lazy (?) to update the software for Micro$oft's new operating system!

Happy Caching

Alex

I'm using the eXplorist GC for one year now. First with Windows 8, then after it was available Windows 8.1

I never had a problem with the Magellan Communicator, for me the "Send to GPS" on Groundspeaks page was working every tie I tried it. Also with older and newest 2.15 software.

Greetings from Germany

ReneFFM

I wanted to say something about the Magellan Explorist GC and the recent update, the Magellan Communicator for Geocaching.com, and Windows 8.1. None of them work. I got a Garmin Nuvi a few weeks ago and caches download to it just fine. When I try to download to the Magellan, nada. "Not recognized". When plugged into the USB, it comes up as a drive, but 8.1 says "insert a disk in the drive". Duh, there is data on it! I saw on another forum where a lady say she was putting a call into Micro$oft. (!) Perhaps she needs to call Donald Trump too.

It is a problem with the software, not Windows 8.1. I was having this problem, and saw where all kinds of people were installing it with Windows 7, and I have a Vista machine (I LOVE Windows Vista!), and took the whole shootin' match over to it. The Explorist comes up as a drive, and shows me the contents of the "disk". Communicator installs quite nicely. I am in the process right now of installing the software update; it just finished and waiting to see what the GC does. It do what it do. Came up with all new software (2.15)!!!

It is not a problem with the software, the device, the computer, or the operating system; it is that Magellan is too lazy (?) to update the software for Micro$oft's new operating system!

Happy Caching

Alex

When I try to download Magellan Communicator plug-in from ceocaching.com it says "This browser is not supported yet." I have windows 8.1

When will there be one available for 8.1

I contacted Magellan in regards to this. Because downloading works fine with other OS, and my laptop is Windows 8.1, they recommended I just use friend's computers or go to the library to download caches. Work computer isn't Windows 8, but guess what, I can't get approval to download software.... Thanks Magellan!

We have outgrown the Magellan eXplorist GC, and our next gps will not be by Magellan!!!!

Edited by AK D&R

That's disappointing to hear. I have a Magellan eXplorist and also use Windows 8.1. However, I run a PQ, download it to my PC and then copy it to the GPSr. Have never had any problems doing it this way.

I have not attempted to do a PQ - I want it to do what it did before my other laptop crashed and I had to buy a new one. Disappointing, none the less.

My Windows 8.1 sees my eXplorist as a dv player

Edited by AK D&R

I have an older exp 500 and every once in awhile I'll drag it and play with it; I have had no problems using 8.1 and GSAK, I have a half a dozen files on the sd card and no problems loading them

GSAK? do tell more.......

with my explorist I have to keep the files at 200 caches, BUT you can have as many files as your SD card will

hold.

When the exp 500 was my main unit I had 20 files on the SD card covering almost all of So Cal.

I still keep my PQs set at 200 but dump them all together for my montana.

on GSAK click on file go to export go down to Magellan explorist and SD card load your card from there, you'll have to load each file separately takes a little longer but it works.

Oh one other thing I usually delete 4 or 5 caches from the PQ just in case there is parking added in just remember max caches per file is 200 and load the caches to the SD card

I have an older exp 500 and every once in awhile I'll drag it and play with it; I have had no problems using 8.1 and GSAK, I have a half a dozen files on the sd card and no problems loading them

with my explorist I have to keep the files at 200 caches, BUT you can have as many files as your SD card will

hold.

When the exp 500 was my main unit I had 20 files on the SD card covering almost all of So Cal.

on GSAK click on file go to export go down to Magellan explorist and SD card load your card from there, you'll have to load each file separately takes a little longer but it works.

Oh one other thing I usually delete 4 or 5 caches from the PQ just in case there is parking added in just remember max caches per file is 200 and load the caches to the SD card

did some exploring, found GSAK. The problem is that my OS Windows 8.1 does not see my eXplorist as something it can dump info to. It sees it as a DVD/CD drive with no disc in it....

hold.

did some exploring, found GSAK. The problem is that my OS Windows 8.1 does not see my eXplorist as something it can dump info to. It sees it as a DVD/CD drive with no disc in it....

you can try using just the SD card, hope this helps

Edited by vagabond