Oregon 400 t and windows 8

I have a Garmin Oregon 400t and use my laptop to transfer caches.I have a new laptop,runnng windows 8.When I "send to my Gps " I get the message that garmin communicator is not installed.I downloaded communicator and I am reliably informed it was successfully installed,however the cache still wont transferto my Gps. I had the same problem on my previous laptop,windows 7, and found I ould transfer using google as opposed to internet explorer.I have tried the same on this machine to no avail.Any ideas ? I normally select a cache,choose send to my Gps and I transfers,but,as I say, now the Gps is not found.

On garmins website,my Gps is found if that means anything.

Being a Premium Member, there is also the option of loading Pocket Query data to your GPSr without use of a browser or "Communicator" at all.

Thanks for the info buddy,im not quite up to speed with pocket queries.are they anything like the facility I was using.I like the idea of downloading the co ords, description and some of the finds,which sometimes help where the clue doesn't !

Being a Premium Member, there is also the option of loading Pocket Query data to your GPSr without use of a browser or "Communicator" at all.

Thanks for the info buddy,im not quite up to speed with pocket queries.are they anything like the facility I was using.I like the idea of downloading the co ords, description and some of the finds,which sometimes help where the clue doesn't !

Pocket Queries -- perhaps one of the biggest draws to being a PM.

Load any number of caches from 1 to 1,000 up to 10 times per day. The info loaded to your GPSr is pretty much what the cache page online itself shows, plus the (not encrypted) hint; other associated waypoints; last five(?) logs posted....

By-the-number instructions for running a Pocket Query: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118 .

As with any "new" project, there is a bit of learning curve, but it is easy with just a little practice. Once mastered, you'll probably never go back to "Send to GPS".

An excellent tutorial for running a PQ and loading directly to a Garmin: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf

Pocket Queries -- perhaps one of the biggest draws to being a PM.

Load any number of caches from 1 to 1,000 up to 10 times per day. The info loaded to your GPSr is pretty much what the cache page online itself shows, plus the (not encrypted) hint; other associated waypoints; last five(?) logs posted....

By-the-number instructions for running a Pocket Query: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118 .

As with any "new" project, there is a bit of learning curve, but it is easy with just a little practice. Once mastered, you'll probably never go back to "Send to GPS".

An excellent tutorial for running a PQ and loading directly to a Garmin: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf

Internet Explorer has/had Compatibility problems... http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=457

Google Chrome seems to be having 'security' issues...

Try using Firefox?

Firefox seems to have some issues with the "send to GPS" function. I tried to add one to my Oregon 450 and got the message that Garmin Communicator was not installed. Well, it had been installed for some time, but I installed it again. Then, Firefox blocked it, gave me the option to run it, which I did, but it still told me GC was not installed. Switched over to Safari to make the transfer and had no problem. Other than that, Firefox works fine with PQs, sending to the desktop, then dragging to the GPSr.

Firefox seems to have some issues with the "send to GPS" function. I tried to add one to my Oregon 450 and got the message that Garmin Communicator was not installed. Well, it had been installed for some time, but I installed it again. Then, Firefox blocked it, gave me the option to run it, which I did, but it still told me GC was not installed. Switched over to Safari to make the transfer and had no problem. Other than that, Firefox works fine with PQs, sending to the desktop, then dragging to the GPSr.

This apparently depends on your version of Firefox or some other configuration issue. Earlier today, I used Firefox 37.0.1 to download several caches to my Oregon 650 using the "send to GPS" function,and everything worked as advertised.

This was on a Windows 7 PC, in case that makes any difference.

--Larry

I hate Windows 8 with a passion, so I don't use my Windows 8.1 laptop very often. I decided to find out whether I could install the Communicator plug-in in its browser and use the "Send to GPS" function.

I fired up the laptop, attached my Oregon 650, and tried adding a cache to it using the "Send to GPS" function and Firefox 37.0.1. The browser correctly told me the plug-in wasn't installed, and opened the Web page for downloading and installing the plug-in. The plug-in installed correctly, and after restarting Firefox I was able to use "Send to GPS" to add several caches to my Oregon 650.

At least with my copy of Firefox running in Windows 8.1, the Communicator plug-in works fine.

--Larry