New to GPS and Macs

saltlifedoc89

Hey everyone I'm brand new to the forum, active duty Navy stationed over in Camp Pendleton and I finally bought my first GPS (GPSMAP 64S).

I also purchased a new MacBook Pro, and I've come to realize I'm not a tech savvy as i used to be. So my question is this, is there anyone is SoCal (OC area) that wouldn't mind meeting me somewhere to help me out getting started. Ive tried talking to Garmin, searched all the forums, googled my heart out but I need someone to sit down with me and walk me through all this new stuff.

My biggest issues are figuring out the file system on the Mac and getting the maps to sync with BaseCamp and the GPS. Anyways if anyones willing to do let me know, coffee or whatever will be on me.

and yeah I've done the free Mac class at the Apple store and the GPS class at REI but I for sure need some more help, I guess what i really need is a Apple/Garmin hybrid class.

I'm not in your geographical area, and haven't used a Mac in years in any case (Windows and Linux user / developer). But if you can clarify the part about maps, it will be useful for whoever helps you.

Did you buy Garmin's maps, or are you using some freely available (legal) maps like OpenStreetMaps?

The 64S comes with only basemap.

Edited by Chrysalides

I don't know if things have changed much since I started using Macs... I go all the way back to the Apple II days... But Garmin never real played well with Macs. They all but ignored Mac users for decades. I'm not sure if that's changed or not with the latest editions of Garmin basecamp, when I bought my eTrex 30, I put the software discs in a drawer and didn't bother.

Instead I use MacGPS Pro from James Associates. And now iHike on my phone from the same company.

Its got tons of features, including some I've yet to play around with. He has high quality scans of USGS and Forrest Service too maps that stitch together seamlessly, you can import and export GPX, LOC, KML and tab eliminated files. You can transfer to and from from your GPS or other device. You can scan and reference your own maps (I sometimes do this with the maps for state parks to plan hikes). You can print out maps in just about any scale you like, with a variety of grids, units, etc.

And the support is pretty fantastic... I've never waited more than 24 hours for an answer, and its usually from Dr. James himself.

On the downside, the user interface is a bit clunky compared to most mac programs. So, it does have a bit of a learning curve. But it will handle everything you need to do for geocaching and more... lots more. I even use it to set up land nav courses for my scouts, just to make sure I'm right before I teach them how to do things the old fashioned way with a map and compass.

Sorry, I guess that doesn't answer your question... And Camp Pendleton is on the wrong coast for me to stop by for a hands on lesson... but if you decide basecamp isn't for you, give MacGPS Pro a try.