overwriting cache information

str8upcacher

I have a question, and maybe a more experienced geocacher can clarify this for me: when you re-upload geocache information to your GPSr, should it not overwrite / replace the older information entirely? Do you have to delete the old entry first to make sure you have all the latest information?

FYI - I have a Magellan Explorist 310.

I use a Magellan Explorist 110 so I would expect it to be the same as your device. When I copy a new pocket query to my GPSr via USB cable, the PC says that there is already a file of this name and do I want to replace it. I always say "yes" and assume that this deletes the old file and replaces it with the new one.

It may help others if you explain the process that you are using to add your geocache information to your GPSr, as well as details of why you believe you have a problem.

Cheers

Tracey

I use a Magellan Explorist 110 so I would expect it to be the same as your device. When I copy a new pocket query to my GPSr via USB cable, the PC says that there is already a file of this name and do I want to replace it. I always say "yes" and assume that this deletes the old file and replaces it with the new one.

It may help others if you explain the process that you are using to add your geocache information to your GPSr, as well as details of why you believe you have a problem.

Cheers

Tracey

In my opinion... regardless of the unit make (each make handles downloads differently) --

New Data is Good Data, Stale Data is Bad Data. Delete the old, load the new. Any (viable) cache deleted will be reloaded with updated info and logs.

Archived caches will not reload -- saving you the trouble of looking for something that doesn't even exist any more.

Newly placed caches (perhaps right near an archived one) will be included in the new data.

Recently disabled caches (missing, etc.) will be loaded as disabled... just so you know.

Two - three weeks of loaded data, should be considered as stale (outdated).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

In this case, I just updated the information for one cache, by clicking the "send to gps" button within the cache description page. The PC does not provide any prompts in this situation, you just get a confirmation that the process is complete.

If you are a Basic Member and click "Send To GPS", the "LOC" file arrives on the GPSr. If you then become a Premium Member you will Send the GPX file. In that specific case (and probably others), you'll have two versions of the same cache page. Which one the GPSr will prefer, is anybody's guess. :anicute:

As mentioned, a good practice is to delete the obsolete files, then add new. That way, you know that the info is current. But each time you "Send To GPS", except in the unusual situation above, yes it should overwrite the previous info. The file of the same name overwrites the old one.

If you are a Basic Member and click "Send To GPS", the "LOC" file arrives on the GPSr. If you then become a Premium Member you will Send the GPX file. In that specific case (and probably others), you'll have two versions of the same cache page. Which one the GPSr will prefer, is anybody's guess. :anicute:

IF you become a PM, DELETE ALL files loaded as a Basic Member.

Garmins, and probably other units, have a Default, which if you have Basic Member files they read every file as if you are a Basic Member.

IF you become a PM, DELETE ALL files loaded as a Basic Member.

Garmins, and probably other units, have a Default, which if you have Basic Member files they read every file as if you are a Basic Member.

I noticed the same thing when I first signed up as PM. My process ever since is to delete the old Pocket Query, place the new one, then check a cache description of a cache I was particularly interested in (just in case GyPSy tells me there are no caches in the PQ, which also happens). Deleting the old files from the GPX folder seems to prevent issues. If you have tracks or waypoints in there that you want, copy them to some other drive before deleting everything (if that's the plan).