Geocache GPS

While my iPhone and the Geocache App work really great, almost always putting me inside 5 feet of searches, it can be a strain on the battery, leaving the search screen on. So I am considering a dedicated device like the Garmin eTrex.

Feed back would be appreciated. TIA

More info needed.

What's your budget?

What features do you desire?

Do you care if the model you choose is discontinued?

Are you only looking at Garmin, or are you considering other manufacturers?

Where are you located?

You can go to GPScity's website and do a comparison chart of up to 3 models. Canadian website = Canadian prices

http://www.gpscity.ca/gps-receivers/&p=1&c=3&t=outdoor+gps

I recommend doing a bit of research. Try getting a unit that allows paperless caching (stores the cache page information on the unit for use in the field) as you may not always be were your cell signal is available. Find a unit that comes with pre-loaded TOPO maps as they are extremely helpful when out in the woods caching. Look at all the options and pick the ones you want and can afford.

While my iPhone and the Geocache App work really great, almost always putting me inside 5 feet of searches, it can be a strain on the battery, leaving the search screen on. So I am considering a dedicated device like the Garmin eTrex.

Can recommend Etrex 20. Been using ours for about a year and a half. Can hold thousands of cache waypoints using pocket queries, takes maps and micro SD card. In your case, re battery life, how does 25 hours sound for 2 AAs? They are also at the budget end of prices at about or under $200.

If your only concern is battery life, getting a USB battery pack is much less expensive and has no learning curve.
A similar approach is to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver. The phone's Bluetooth antenna uses a lot less power than its GPS antenna, and the Bluetooth GPS receiver can use standard AA replaceable batteries. And the Bluetooth GPS receiver may even get better reception than the phone's GPS antenna.
If your only concern is battery life, getting a USB battery pack is much less expensive and has no learning curve.
A similar approach is to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver. The phone's Bluetooth antenna uses a lot less power than its GPS antenna, and the Bluetooth GPS receiver can use standard AA replaceable batteries. And the Bluetooth GPS receiver may even get better reception than the phone's GPS antenna.

That's an interesting option. Have you or someone you know tried it?

I'm not sure if it is worth the effort though, for the following reasons :

• An external battery pack is useful to have around even when you're not geocaching
  • Do all apps work with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver?
  • Yet another device to keep charged

Edited by Chrysalides
That's an interesting option. Have you or someone you know tried it?

I'm not sure if it is worth the effort though, for the following reasons :

• An external battery pack is useful to have around even when you're not geocaching
  • Do all apps work with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver?
  • Yet another device to keep charged

I don't know anyone personally who has tried it, but there were people on the Neongeo forums who used it. It seemed to work well for them.

I'll grant that an external battery pack would be useful even when you're not geocaching. And I don't know whether apps that use the standard location services API automatically support Bluetooth GPS receivers.

But it's no more "yet another device to keep charged" than an external battery pack, and if it uses standard AA batteries, then you don't even need to keep it charged. You just need batteries.

Personally, my approach is to use my eXplorist when the phone's battery life is too short for the geocaching I'm doing.

I tried using my phone once with a Delorme bt-20, and an app called Bluetooth gps provider on my Samsung s5. Worked great and used a tenth of the battery power of the phone. Kept the external gps on the top of my pack. I have a handheld for caching so I did it just as an experment because I was bored one rainy day and I had the bt-20 gps from my days exploring the pine barrens with a laptop and gps for navigation in the forest. I also have a 10,000mah powerpack I now use because it can run the phone or handheld gps via their usb cords for a very long time if needed.

I can speak for the USB battery. A few local catchers have them and use them on their gps. One has rechargeable batteries in the unit, and velcro on the back, with velcro on the USB battery pack. Works amazingly well. Plus when you're back in the vehicle you can charge both. Of course if you have a lower quality battery pack, then you'll see lower results.

Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your money on a Etrex 10. You'd be better off just flushing that cash down the nearest toilet.

Whenever I can afford a new GPS, I plan to hollow out my Etrex 10, turn it into a container, hide it in a sewer somewhere and name it 'Worst GPS Ever'

Whenever I can afford a new GPS, I plan to hollow out my Etrex 10, turn it into a container, hide it in a sewer somewhere and name it 'Worst GPS Ever'

Come now, tell us how you really feel about the eTrex 10 :lol:

I generally urge people to consider the eTrex 20 instead of the 10, but I'm curious why you hate it so much.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not married to Garmin. It just happened to be the first one I saw. Whenever I google Geocache GPS, Garmin seems to overload the page, so I'm just curious what is being used and recommended. I realize everyone has their own reasons to like/dislike. But feedback from experienced users is invaluable regardless of it being favorable or not.

My budget can handle what I choose to buy, although I am a reasonable guy and refuse to spend recklessly, just to have THE POPULAR "whatever it might be".

I actually like my iPhone 6; and under normal use the battery easily lasts all day. But, Geocaching is not normal, and requires I carry backup batteries after 4/5 hours.

Looking for alternatives.

Pup Patrol.... I live in Washington State and winter in Arizona or Florida,

Chrysalides.... I carry USB Battery packs with me. WOuld still prefer an alternative. Thanks.

Edited by Malemotives

I think the reason you get overloaded with Garmin stuff is because Garmin is the largest GPS company out there. If you like the touchscreen feature (similar to your phone), it will eliminate quite a few options out there. If open to buttons or joystick, then that tosses more into the mix. I've had both and like the touchscreen better, but that's my personal experience. I know cachers who don't like the touchscreen and swear by the buttons or joystick. I started out with a 60CSx and then moved to a Montana.

In addition to what coachstahly said regarding touchscreen. People who have them, love them. Montana/Monterra/Oregon are all great units. I however live in Atlantic Canada. I have to wear gloves while caching for 5 months of the year so a touchscreen model doesn't work for me. I know you said that you are in Arizona/Florida in the winter but if you're going to be doing any caching in Washington State in January when you might need gloves - a touchscreen becomes a bit of a pain.

As long as my gloves aren't too bulky, the touchscreen on the Montana works just fine in the winter for me. Since it's a larger screen, I think it's a bit easier to touch what you want to touch. The only times I've had issues is when I've had to wear my REALLY cold weather gloves, which double the size of my fingertips! Ran into that issue last winter, but it was so cold I actually set a new monthly low for caches found, so didn't go out much.

Surprisingly, I have no trouble operating the Oregon 600 with gloves on. Same gloves would not work with my phone. These are fairly thin gloves, probably some fake leather material. No luck with the heavy duty gloves. The Oregon 600 screen is very sensitive. Irritatingly so, in fact. Hang it from a carabiner on your belt, and next thing you know, random screen touches would have changed your settings.

The Oregon 450, 300, and likely the Montana have resistive touchscreens, so you can operate them with any tip that won't scratch the surface if your fingertip is too big when wearing gloves.

This question about what GPS comes up so often, maybe someone should create a flowchart.

Come now, tell us how you really feel about the eTrex 10 :lol:

I generally urge people to consider the eTrex 20 instead of the 10, but I'm curious why you hate it so much.

That was more frustration venting than anything else.

To be honest, it is an adequate unit for the price (I believe I paid around $85 USD around a year ago). The accuracy seems to bee pretty terrible at time, even in unobstructed areas, but my main problem is with it freezing. It freezes or pauses ALL THE TIME!. When I'm putting in coords, it freezes. When I'm scrolling through options...freezes. I swear, if I spend an hour using this thing, it seems like half of it is waiting for it to unfreeze.

This could, of course, simply be an issue with my single unit and not a trend with all Etrex 10s. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem. I previously owned a Magellen Triton, cheaper model, and it seemed to work much better.