Cruising around Panama on Holland America Jan. 2011

I can see that there are some other topics about cruising central America but they are all in Spanish and I have no idea what they say ...so I hope this is not a repeat. We have cached on Cruise ships many times but it was always along the Mexican Riviera side of the continent Mazatlan. PA, Acupolco and Cabo. I would like to know what the caching is like in some of the ports in Cental America and how safe it would be to travel off the beaten path? Has anyone out there done it and how have they found it. I have researched some the ports... Balboa in Panama , Huatalco in Mexico, Cartagena in Colombia and also Cristobal in the Panama. There are caches there but I have no idea how to get to any of them safely (???) The cruise is 28 days long so caching will be a nice diversion from the ship. I would appreciate ANY information ( in English please, as that's all I understand ) that would help us in these ports.

I can speak to Huatulco. The multi is within easy walking distance of the cruise dock, and it sounds like some people have been skipping the troublesome first stage (muggles galore) and going straight to the nearby final.

Since I was there, it looks like two traditionals have popped up as well. Taxis are fixed-rate and cheap, but I can't tell you how much.

Huatulco, like most of Mexico, is quite safe as long as you don't step in front of a moving car.

Have fun. :)

PS: Cristóbal aka Colón in Panama has a very bad reputation. You don't want to wander around that town even if you have the opportunity. No caches, so why bother? If you stay inside the shopping "pen", you'll be safe.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I can speak to Huatulco. The multi is within easy walking distance of the cruise dock, and it sounds like some people have been skipping the troublesome first stage (muggles galore) and going straight to the nearby final.

Since I was there, it looks like two traditionals have popped up as well. Taxis are fixed-rate and cheap, but I can't tell you how much.

Huatulco, like most of Mexico, is quite safe as long as you don't step in front of a moving car.

Have fun. :)

PS: Cristóbal aka Colón in Panama has a very bad reputation. You don't want to wander around that town even if you have the opportunity. No caches, so why bother? If you stay inside the shopping "pen", you'll be safe.

De nada, my pleasure.

Huatulco is interesting. It was built from the ground up after learning some lessons from Cancun. It's kind of a spread-out resort area without anything that I would consider tacky - that I could see.

If you like wandering and would like to see a real Mexican town, stroll the km or so (or take a cab; I got drenched from sweat because I like to walk everywhere) to La Crucecita. That's the service town they built to complement the resorts; it's tucked away inland, straight back from the small development around the cruise dock. La Crucecita has a nice square, some decent restaurants, and is where I'll stay the next time I see a seat sale to Huatulco.

Edited by Viajero Perdido