Log dating question

Place UR Betz

Hello! I've been a Lurker for a while now but, I was hoping you all could help me out with this question. I was caching with another cacher who stopped to sign a challenge cache that she had completed. She suggested that I go ahead and sign the log that way, when I did complete the challenge, I wouldn't have to make the trek out to sign the log again. I put a note online saying I signed the log and will work on the challenge. So, now I've completed the challenge and I'm getting ready to log it online. Question is, Do I change the note to a "Found it" log or do I just put a new "Found it" log in with the date I completed the challenge?

Either way. I have only done this once, and I created a new log, but in it I said that I signed the log book on <the date I signed the paper log>.

This approach sounds best. Having the two online logs shows the history, which in this case involves the two events happening in reverse compared with the usual order.

Hello! I've been a Lurker for a while now but, I was hoping you all could help me out with this question. I was caching with another cacher who stopped to sign a challenge cache that she had completed. She suggested that I go ahead and sign the log that way, when I did complete the challenge, I wouldn't have to make the trek out to sign the log again. I put a note online saying I signed the log and will work on the challenge. So, now I've completed the challenge and I'm getting ready to log it online. Question is, Do I change the note to a "Found it" log or do I just put a new "Found it" log in with the date I completed the challenge?

I do this quite a bit but run into one small hiccup when I don't really know the ate I achieved a challenge. I signed a bunch of Challenge Cache logs a few years back when running a geo-art, most of which I didn't qualify for at the time. Every once in a while I'll wonder if I now qualify and go over the list. I sometimes find that I do qualify for a challenge, but am unsure about when I reached the qualification. I suppose I could try to figure that out, but I never bother to. I simply add my "found log" on the day that I realized that I met qualifications. Challenge caches are weird...

Either way. I have only done this once, and I created a new log, but in it I said that I signed the log book on <the date I signed the paper log>.

This approach sounds best. Having the two online logs shows the history, which in this case involves the two events happening in reverse compared with the usual order.

Yep,, For me, even though i might have signed the logbook a while back, the cache wasn't completed until i met all the challenge's requirements. The day i meet/finish the last of these requirements is the day i log the challenge as found. My previous note stays put and a new found log is made. I like it this way because it keeps my history straight.

I agree a new log entry is best.

As for the date, it's been debated and there is no right answer. Assuming the cache was found first, then some days/months/years later the challenge qualification is met.

Option 1: Use the date you qualify to log "Found it". Pros: Avoids you having a "Found it" log on a challenge cache dated at a time when you were not qualified to log "found it". Cons: Alters your mileage traveled.

Option 2: Use the date you physically signed the log to log "Found it". Pros/cons are the opposite of the above.

I wouldn't bother to look for one of these caches unless I had already qualified for it. If I was with someone who was finding it, I would still wait and go back when/if I qualified.

This is the way I go, for multiple reasons. I believe the online Found It log date should correlate with when you actually physically signed the log. And part of the fun, for me, of completing a challenging Challenge is the locating final which provides a nice bookend, or closure or whatever.

Even if there was a system in place which differentiated the Found It from the Challenge Completed events, I am not sure I would ever do them out of order.

I wouldn't bother to look for one of these caches unless I had already qualified for it. If I was with someone who was finding it, I would still wait and go back when/if I qualified.

Not a fan of Challenge Caches for the 'Date' reason.

If I do a challenge, the cache is found after the 'challenge' is completed, and logged on the date it's found!

I haven't done many challenges, but this is how I'm hoping to proceed with challenge caches. The 2 challenge caches in my find count were physically found after I completed the challenge. There is another challenge cache that I visited and signed, but then I realized that I had missed something in the requirements and that I didn't actually qualify yet. I'm not sure if I'll go back and re-visit the physical cache once I do qualify, but it's local enough that I probably will just go back.

If I ever visit challenge caches further afield, then I might adjust my methodology and pre-sign the caches (unless the cache description notes that pre-signing is not 'allowed'). I'd then have a quandary similar to the OP. Not sure what I'll do then, as I like the idea of having fairly accurate cache-to-cache mileage.

Personally, I like Challenge Caches. Just haven't figured out how I want to manage them in my caching history.

If I remember correctly, "pre-signing" a challenge cache is now okay whether the CO detests or not.
Yep. From the Help Center article Challenge Caches:
Additional points to consider when creating a challenge cache:[...]

12. Geocachers may sign a challenge cache's physical log at any time. However, the challenge cache may be logged as found online only after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented.

(unless the cache description notes that pre-signing is not 'allowed')

I could have sworn I remember reading something about this actually being added to the challenge logging guidelines. If I remember correctly, "pre-signing" a challenge cache is now okay whether the CO detests or not.

I just wouldn't waste my time looking for a cache that I may or may not qualify for, when there are thousands upon thousands of other caches I can find and log right now. Whether or not it's "allowed" is not really a concern. It just seems like a silly thing to do.

If I remember correctly, "pre-signing" a challenge cache is now okay whether the CO detests or not.

Yep. From the Help Center article Challenge Caches:

Additional points to consider when creating a challenge cache:[...]

12. Geocachers may sign a challenge cache's physical log at any time. However, the challenge cache may be logged as found online only after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented.

But it should be noted that older challenge caches were grandfathered in and can still prohibit pre-signing. (At least that's my understanding.)

(unless the cache description notes that pre-signing is not 'allowed')

I could have sworn I remember reading something about this actually being added to the challenge logging guidelines. If I remember correctly, "pre-signing" a challenge cache is now okay whether the CO detests or not.

I just wouldn't waste my time looking for a cache that I may or may not qualify for, when there are thousands upon thousands of other caches I can find and log right now. Whether or not it's "allowed" is not really a concern. It just seems like a silly thing to do.

On the other hand, not every one has the luxury of living in a place with thousands upon thousands of caches to find.

I'm not sure that your complete avoidance of challenge caches contributes to a thread about how to date the logs of challenge caches.

Edit: Removing "complete", since you apparently have completed some challenges.

Edited by noncentric

I'm planning a trip to the US next year including a drive from Ft. Lauderdale to New Orleans. I hope to find a bunch of challenges in Florida, including one for "four US states in one day". I don't usually go for challenges I haven't achieved, but a few days later I will pass through 4 states in a day. I will make an exception there.

The OP was out caching with a friend (probably doing several caches in the area), and the friend qualified so they found the cache. So the OP signed the log. That doesn't seem silly to me.

I've done this myself when a caching walk took me near a challenge cache which I nearly qualified for.

I'm used to people thinking I'm doing something silly; most of my muggle friends think that.

"A silly thing to do" is how plenty of my friends describe geocaching. I've certainly spent lots of time looking for caches that might or might not be there, but, since I usually enjoyed the time, I don't consider it "wasted."

I currently have a couple dozen pre-signed challenge caches that I'm working towards accomplishing. I probably won't qualify for all of them, but I sure do enjoy working towards those goals. So, I don't consider the few minutes I looked for those pre-signed challenge caches to be time "wasted." It might seem like a silly thing for you to do, but that doesn't mean it's a silly thing for everyone to do.

"A silly thing to do" is how plenty of my friends describe geocaching. I've certainly spent lots of time looking for caches that might or might not be there, but, since I usually enjoyed the time, I don't consider it "wasted."

I currently have a couple dozen pre-signed challenge caches that I'm working towards accomplishing. I probably won't qualify for all of them, but I sure do enjoy working towards those goals. So, I don't consider the few minutes I looked for those pre-signed challenge caches to be time "wasted." It might seem like a silly thing for you to do, but that doesn't mean it's a silly thing for everyone to do.

Yes, as stated in my post, it seems like a silly thing to do. I'm not interested in stopping others from doing it.

The OP was out caching with a friend (probably doing several caches in the area), and the friend qualified so they found the cache. So the OP signed the log. That doesn't seem silly to me.

I've done this myself when a caching walk took me near a challenge cache which I nearly qualified for.

I'm used to people thinking I'm doing something silly; most of my muggle friends think that.

Terrific!

I'm not sure that your complete avoidance of challenge caches contributes to a thread about how to date the logs of challenge caches.

I don't avoid challenge caches. Where did I state such a thing?

You didn't use the specific word "avoid", but you did say that you wouldn't "waste my time looking for a cache that I may or may not qualify for". We can argue semantics about whether you used the word "avoid" or whether others would infer that from your post, but that detracts from the purpose of this thread.

This thread is about dating the log of challenge caches. If someone thinks it's silly to search for challenge caches, then they're not going to date challenge cache logs. In which case, their comment adds no value to a thread about dating logs, IMO.

But it should be noted that older challenge caches were grandfathered in and can still prohibit pre-signing. (At least that's my understanding.)

I can see how there might be some confusion on that. But being grandfathered only means that a challenge cache with qualifying requirements that wouldn't be permitted today may still exist if published before 3/12/12. COs cannot prohibit "pre-signing" of any challenge cache, no matter when it was published.

I can see how there might be some confusion on that. But being grandfathered only means that a challenge cache with qualifying requirements that wouldn't be permitted today may still exist if published before 3/12/12. COs cannot prohibit "pre-signing" of any challenge cache, no matter when it was published.

Good to know, and glad to learn this. Thanks.

You didn't use the specific word "avoid", but you did say that you wouldn't "waste my time looking for a cache that I may or may not qualify for". We can argue semantics about whether you used the word "avoid" or whether others would infer that from your post, but that detracts from the purpose of this thread.

This thread is about dating the log of challenge caches. If someone thinks it's silly to search for challenge caches, then they're not going to date challenge cache logs. In which case, their comment adds no value to a thread about dating logs, IMO.

Does this comment?