Needs Maintenance logs

Jimmy63

From the maintenance section of the guidelines (emphasis added):

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

But note that this guideline is qualified. There are times when "a reasonable amount of time" can be much longer than 4 weeks.

From the maintenance section of the guidelines (emphasis added):

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

But note that this guideline is qualified. There are times when "a reasonable amount of time" can be much longer than 4 weeks.

But... There is no set required time for someone to visit a cache that "Needs Maintenance" Correct?

I understand the "Reasonable Amount of Time"... But no set time for a Needs Maintenance.

There can't be a set time. If you have an ammo can on the top of a mountain that's a 2 day hike, but there's 5 feet of snow and you have to wait until it melts, then you could say a month or 2 is reasonable. So if we're going to have set times, someones going to look at this situation and say the CO has 2 months, so he should get 2 months to replace the peanut butter jar on his front lawn.

Each cache is different (except for powertrails) so each situation has to be looked at differently.

But... There is no set required time for someone to visit a cache that "Needs Maintenance" Correct?

I understand the "Reasonable Amount of Time"... But no set time for a Needs Maintenance.

What do you mean by a "set time"? What are you really asking?

I am neither a lackey nor a volunteer reviewer, and I don't even play one on TV. But my experience as a cache owner is:

The local volunteer reviewer will post a Reviewer Note to a cache listing that has been disabled for a month or so ("generally up to 4 weeks") with no indication of why it is still disabled. If the owner posts a reasonable explanation for why the cache listing is still disabled, then the cache is safe for another couple months, at which point the local volunteer reviewer will post another Reviewer Note.

Caches can have a Needs Maintenance attribute set for months without drawing attention from the local volunteer reviewer. But this may have changed recently. See the thread Geocaching HQ's "Reminders" Chuckle for example.

Take whatever time you want...especially if the problem sounds minor (e.g., 'damp log', etc.).

When you need to start thinking about making a visit:

1 - If the container is clearly damaged enough to compromise the contents

2 - The reviewer disables it. In my area, the reviewer will do periodic 'sweeps', disabling caches with NM logs or even D2/D3 or lower caches with a long string of DNFs. Generally they will ask for a check within 30 days or so. In this case, it's perfectly reasonable for them to expect either a maintenance check OR a communication from the CO explaining why a check needs to wait. This is where a lot of things go wrong - the CO not communicating with the reviewer. I see it all the time - a "beloved" cache gets disabled and the CO just never responds, so it gets archived. If you aren't even paying attention to your caches, you only have yourself to blame if they get archived.

Edited by J Grouchy

Sometimes there are other circumstances that require a cache to be temporarily disable for a longer period of time. I've personally had two caches that have required as long as a year due to major construction efforts in the area.

One time a walking bridge was washed out by flooding, and it took quite a long time to get it replaced. The cache could not be accessed for either visiting or maintenance at this time without boating or swimming across the deep creek or trespassing on private property.

Currently, I have a cache that I needed to temporarily disable (and remove the container) while a massive $1.3 million project is being completed to improve the nearby overlook and boardwalk. It has been disabled for 5 months so far and might not be active again for a few more if the project isn't completed until Spring as scheduled. While active, this geocache had been my most-visited of all my cache hides. The nice thing is that the overlook will be much improved providing an even more spectacular view.

Edited by medoug

Thank you... I'm thinking of place some caches and this topic came up. I will be quick. Just not as quick as they were saying I had to be. :)

As cache owner, if you acknowledge the fact a Needs Maintenance has been posted, post a Note log, and can give some idea of when you can get there, cachers will give you some leeway.

Say nothing, and cachers will take it that you don't care about the cache, and the cache WILL most likely be Archived by a Reviewer, due to lack of maintenance...

* DON'T post an Owners Maintenance log saying "Will fix 'this week/next week/whenever'" as that also looks like you don't care!