Pocket Queries

Douce Us 5

To simplify getting USERNAME caches on your Ignore list use the Search function

Add filters, enter USERNAME and generate that search. On the search output page, click the box at the top of the list to flag all caches.

Once you've done that, you'll have to option to add to list. Add to ignore. And now, you can PQ with no caches by USERNAME. Huzzah!

Image below illustrates this.

7b3f296b-b70a-4119-8428-1e9ac2446ea8.jpg

Although if you use the GC APP they will show up there since it doesn't filter them out like the old discontinued one did. So break out the GPS to benefit from the ignore list.

There needs to be more detail in some of the steps. I've somehow missed a step. But I think if I make a PQ as mentioned (where the PQ filters the Ignore List and, say, "Isonso Karst" caches are in the list), the PQ will then contain no Isonzo Karst caches. The thread seems mostly about the Pocket Query and not an "App", but I'm guessing, in the case of a Geocaching App, that the trick is to use the App offline (how I usually run them) after loading the PQ. All caches, "ignored" or not, can be displayed again in most of the Apps if you go live.

In the case of Geocaching with "live data", I would (just me, YMMV) open the actual Geocaching.com web site. It's all right there on the phone already. The ignore list of course is honored on the web site. Hunting a cache, at least switching between browser and a Compass App is also a piece of cake, either with Droid or IOS. But, yeah, an ordinary handheld GPSr is preferable.

Edited by kunarion

With pocket queries, I open up my pocket query in easyGPS then sort by hider and remove their caches, then send the file to my gps.

Cool! I like that!

But I see a little issue with that: The caches in a PQ use the name that is typed into the listing, not necessarily the actual name of the hider. Although my caches "hidden by" 'Doctor Robert' and 'Team FRN' are correctly attributed to 'kunarion' by the Geocaching.com search page, Easy GPS considers them to be other cacher names when it sorts the PQ. You'd have to take extra steps for EasyGPS to properly ignore all of "kunarion's" caches.

Edited by kunarion

Add to ignore. And now, you can PQ with no caches by USERNAME. Huzzah!

The "Ignore List" is not in the drop-down window in the Search screen. Did you make new list named "ignore"?

Sounds like it may be workable, and I have never used the ignore list, and I can't seem to find it now. :(

Maybe Isonzo Karst wil be so kind to explain in better detail. :unsure:

Edited by Manville Possum

Add to ignore. And now, you can PQ with no caches by USERNAME. Huzzah!

The "Ignore List" is not in the drop-down window in the Search screen. Did you make new list named "ignore"?

Sounds like it may be workable, and I have never used the ignore list, and I can't seem to find it now. :(

Maybe Isonzo Karst wil be so kind to explain in better detail. :unsure:

It is handy to be able to hide groups of caches, for trip planning. I know a lot of cachers are overwhelmed by a huge mass of caches on the map, and many have an aversion to spewed pill bottles along the highway, and I get it. But I haven't ever really used the "Ignore" list, and don't even routinely eliminate caches from my Pocket Queries. One reason is I use caches as waypoints -- "This cache is in the area of [cache I found previously]". And especially, I often see a cool spot to hide a new cache, so I scan for saturation. Can't do that if I don't load the caches. Maybe if I could mark caches "Meh, Don't Find" as a special category, I'd do that. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

To simplify getting USERNAME caches on your Ignore list use the Search function

Add filters, enter USERNAME and generate that search. On the search output page, click the box at the top of the list to flag all caches.

Once you've done that, you'll have to option to add to list. Add to ignore. And now, you can PQ with no caches by USERNAME. Huzzah!

Sorry, but I don't believe it works that way. :( Only way I see to ignore a cache is one at a time from the cache page. Hopefully I'm just missing something. :anicute:

My apologies, I don't find that the Ignore list is one of the List options from "add to list" from Advanced Search. It should be...

I was sure I'd done it. But either it's no longer an option, or it never was, and my memory is simply wrong. Not for the first time.

I wish you had been right. :( It's a feature that I have often requested. :)

Although if you use the GC APP they will show up there since it doesn't filter them out like the old discontinued one did. So break out the GPS to benefit from the ignore list.

That bug was remedied in the latest app update. See this post. So, if you can get caches onto your ignore list, then they won't show up in the app's map/list views.

That bug was remedied in the latest app update. See this post. So, if you can get caches onto your ignore list, then they won't show up in the app's map/list views.

Just checked. Thanks. Still can't figure out why it wasn't in at the start.