'Card' type geocoins to metal versions?

stimpsonjcat67

I bought some 'card' geocoins from Canada...a bit odd you can't get these here in the States.

I *believe* these are just cards with unique numbers for tracking on them.

The question is can I turn these into more durable devices? Sure I could just laminate them. But I am more of a metal kind of guy and was thinking more along the lines of stamping their tracking data into say...blank dog-tags. Would this be legit?

My plan is to add the data from the card that folks would need, and then a simple mission statement

"Send me anywhere!"

"Send me West!"

"Send me East!"

etc.

First post am I totally bonkers or is this shiny?

6 finds and the daughter and I are hooked. We plan to couple this with our ham radio obsession, planting caches where we operate for SOTA and USIOTA radio activations.

If I found the proper cards... at the eBay site it states:

You are bidding on 20 info cards for including with

geocaching trackables like geocoins and travel bugs

This item is not a geocoin or a Travel Bug. It is nothing other than a card telling people that the item attached to it is a trackable (geocoin or TB). Key words being "info cards".

If I found the proper cards... at the eBay site it states:

You are bidding on 20 info cards for including with geocaching trackables like geocoins and travel bugs

This item is not a geocoin or a Travel Bug. It is nothing other than a card telling people that the item attached to it is a trackable (geocoin or TB). Key words being "info cards".

I found the same listing, I believe, and it clearly says at the bottom of the page:

* Please Note * The cards themselves are not trackable. They are info cards for including with trackable items.

I feel like a complete and utter fool for not thinking up the idea to sell useless bits of paper like this.

B.

I feel like a complete and utter fool for not thinking up the idea to sell useless bits of paper like this.

B.

Let me assure you that you don't feel nearly as foolish as this n00b does!

Thanks guys...it makes more sense now.

ETA-------------------

I found this site where you can buy personal IDs, I am going to go that route!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=332

Edited by stimpsonjcat67

B.

Let me assure you that you don't feel nearly as foolish as this n00b does!

Thanks guys...it makes more sense now.

ETA-------------------

I found this site where you can buy personal IDs, I am going to go that route!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=332

Don't worry about making a mistake there, it could have happen to anyone. Especially, when you don't know yet, what exactly to look for.

If you want to send out trackables, I'd recomend the old fashioned Travel Bug or those alumium tags, they have cute pictures and their own icon. Also they tend to be taveling longer than coins, which might go missing much easier.

We all bought the one or two odd items, which turned out to be totally useless. My cellar is full of camping equipment, which sounded great but turned out to be stupid waste of money.

And I'm ashamed to say, I'm to lazy to place those items on ebay, which I really should, as they're just in the cellar, collecting dust and cobwebs. A few dollar on those cards is nothing compared to my mistakes, I can asure you!

We all bought the one or two odd items, which turned out to be totally useless. My cellar is full of camping equipment, which sounded great but turned out to be stupid waste of money.

And I'm ashamed to say, I'm to lazy to place those items on ebay, which I really should, as they're just in the cellar, collecting dust and cobwebs. A few dollar on those cards is nothing compared to my mistakes, I can asure you!

I am also an amateur radio operator...a ham. I grok useless clutter VERY well!

$2.49 is a pretty cheap lesson in my book. I am negotiating design ideas with the fine folks at Groundspeak now. I dabble in jewelry and castings, and I appear to have caused some confusion with what I am trying to do.

I am also an amateur radio operator...a ham. I grok useless clutter VERY well!

$2.49 is a pretty cheap lesson in my book. I am negotiating design ideas with the fine folks at Groundspeak now. I dabble in jewelry and castings, and I appear to have caused some confusion with what I am trying to do.

Oh, good, 2.50 is really a pittance of a mistake!

Seeing you just started geocaching, I'd recomend to continue searching for a while and visit some of the events in your area.

There you'll meet other cachers and for sure some geocoins and other trackables.

It's always nice to be enthusiastic about a newly discovered hobby, but before you spend a serious amount of money on your own trackables, it wouldn't go amiss, if you have seen a few out in the wild as well as in collections.

I'd offer you a look at mine, but I'm some 7300odd kilometers from your home coordinates, I'm afraid...

:grin:

If it is just for sending some trackables out for you and the family to watch, try attaching the number of a bought TravelBug on some of your creations. Then you could even use those cards, as an individual item might otherwise not be recognised as a trackable.

Oh, good, 2.50 is really a pittance of a mistake!

Seeing you just started geocaching, I'd recomend to continue searching for a while and visit some of the events in your area.

There you'll meet other cachers and for sure some geocoins and other trackables.

It's always nice to be enthusiastic about a newly discovered hobby, but before you spend a serious amount of money on your own trackables, it wouldn't go amiss, if you have seen a few out in the wild as well as in collections.

I'd offer you a look at mine, but I'm some 7300odd kilometers from your home coordinates, I'm afraid...

:grin:

If it is just for sending some trackables out for you and the family to watch, try attaching the number of a bought TravelBug on some of your creations. Then you could even use those cards, as an individual item might otherwise not be recognised as a trackable.

I'll be right over! :anibad:

Seriously though...this hobby can't cost as much as my others...and meshes perfectly with my SOTA and USIOTA activations. I will make custom coins for those activations. The daughter is already enjoying the 'trading' aspect of the hobby and we are working up some cool tokens for trading pieces also.

I'll be right over! :anibad:

Seriously though...this hobby can't cost as much as my others...and meshes perfectly with my SOTA and USIOTA activations. I will make custom coins for those activations. The daughter is already enjoying the 'trading' aspect of the hobby and we are working up some cool tokens for trading pieces also.

FYI...order approved and received.

I'll post up an appropriately doctored image of the first dog-tag when I get supplies and get it done. I think the first one I will do "Move me further away from North Georgia." as the mission.

I plan on loading the TB with a string of tokens and a note for the mover to take one if they move it further than X miles...is this reasonable? I realize theft is a big issue. I plan to start these in non-PNG caches to reduce the likelihood of them being muggled.