Garmin Etrex 10

Please will someone be so kind to help a granny..??

How on earth do I free memory on my Garmin Etrex 10? I have downloaded BaseCamp in order to access and delete geocaches (as previously recommended) but I still have no memory left on my Extrex 10. So I can't mark any waypoints.... Please help...???

OK if it is like my eTrex 20, Hook it up to your computer and navigate to Computer> Garmin eTrex10(drive letter )>Garmin>GPX file and delete the files in there. I am guessing that you have loaded a bunch of caches, way points and PQ's and taken up the space on the drive.

WARNING THIS WILL DELETE ALL THE INFORMATION ON YOUR GPS !!!!

So if you have important way points on your GPS use base camp to find them and download the to your PC so you can save them.

OK if it is like my eTrex 20, Hook it up to your computer and navigate to Computer> Garmin eTrex10(drive letter )>Garmin>GPX file and delete the files in there. I am guessing that you have loaded a bunch of caches, way points and PQ's and taken up the space on the drive.

So if you have important way points on your GPS use base camp to find them and download the to your PC so you can save them.

Wouldn't it be safer to just go to the waypoint manager and Menu>Delete All to get rid of waypoints? I've got limited experience with caches, but I just downloaded a cache and found it was a GPX in the Garmin folder (along with Current.gpx). When I deleted the cache from the Garmin folder it also disappeared from my Etrex. I didn't delete the Current.gpx and I didn't touch the \Garmin\GPX folder. FWIW I didn't "find" the cache, just loaded it and deleted it.

Edited by seldom_sn

Wouldn't it be safer to just go to the waypoint manager and Menu>Delete All to get rid of waypoints? I've got limited experience with caches, but I just downloaded a cache and found it was a GPX in the Garmin folder (along with Current.gpx). When I deleted the cache from the Garmin folder it also disappeared from my Etrex. I didn't delete the Current.gpx and I didn't touch the \Garmin\GPX folder. FWIW I didn't "find" the cache, just loaded it and deleted it.

Maybe if I wanted to delete up to 5 caches I would go this route. If I wanted to free a large amount of space I would go the route I mentioned. After many years of hard and heavy work, I want smarter not harder dry.gif

Maybe if I wanted to delete up to 5 caches I would go this route. If I wanted to free a large amount of space I would go the route I mentioned. After many years of hard and heavy work, I want smarter not harder dry.gif

Guess it depends if you prefer an H bomb or a Hellfire missile. Thought Granny might want to minimize the collateral damage. Then again I seem to remember a poster from Los Alamos of a mushroom cloud. Caption: "When you care enough to send the very best!"

Edited by seldom_sn

Please will someone be so kind to help a granny..??

How on earth do I free memory on my Garmin Etrex 10? I have downloaded BaseCamp in order to access and delete geocaches (as previously recommended) but I still have no memory left on my Extrex 10. So I can't mark any waypoints.... Please help...???

Do you use a Mac?

...How on earth do I free memory on my Garmin Etrex 10?

Answering two ways: What you literally asked, and what I think you really meant:

Literally, how much free memory?

- Connect it to your computer using the USB cable

- Wait for it to appear as a disk drive on your desktop

- PC users: Right click on the disk icon and select Properties

- Mac users: Control-click on the disk icon and select Get Info

The Properties/Info window will tell you total disk size and space available. I vaguely recall the total on the eTrex 10 was around 8 megabytes, but some of that was used by the minimal basemap and GPS software itself. Free space was "something less."

What I think you're after?

In real use it's hard to convert "how much memory" to "how many geocaches" -- and I think you want the latter number. In my experience it could be anywhere from 300 to 500 caches, depending on how verbose the descriptions and logs are.

Thanks to all who kindly tried to help. Just a few facts in response:

I do know the basics of how to see the properties (incl disk space). That shows I have NO disk space left.

I have tried both recommendations (Davequal & seldom sn) - deleted ALL but I still have a FULL disk with NO memory left. It shows no waymarks, no geocaches, etc. But no memory either...?

I read Splashy's forum post and definitely relate to the same problem. Seems I will have to save up for a better model...

Thanks again for everyone's help! :blink:

I do know the basics of how to see the properties (incl disk space). That shows I have NO disk space left.

I have tried both recommendations (Davequal & seldom sn) - deleted ALL but I still have a FULL disk with NO memory left. It shows no waymarks, no geocaches, etc. But no memory either...?

I read Splashy's forum post and definitely relate to the same problem. Seems I will have to save up for a better model...

Sounds like your unit may be defective. Could it be that your GPSr is write protected? (Did the size of the drive change when you deleted caches?) Have you done a full system reset on the GPSr? Have you contacted Garmin?

Do you use a PC or Mac ?

...because there are some bugs associated with Macs

Do you mean a specific bug in the Mac OS, a problem in a Mac version of Basecamp, or something else?

I'm puzzled by her saying the GPS shows the Garmin's disk is completely full, even after emptying the GPX folder. Out of the box with nothing but the factory software (and maybe every internationalization/text/manual file) there would still be a few megabytes free. Maybe some directory listings from the device, all subfolders (not just the Garmin/GPX folder), would give a clue.

Do you mean a specific bug in the Mac OS, a problem in a Mac version of Basecamp, or something else?

I was referring to this but it doesn't really apply.

The completely full after delete led me to think the unit might be write protected, but I don't know if that's possible. Granny should definitely contact Garmin, because her unit's likely to still be under warranty.

Edited by seldom_sn
Granny should definitely contact Garmin

I still recommend looking at other subfolders on the GPS first to see if anything got copied to th GPS somehow. I know we have discussed this space issue before, so I found this old post of mine from when I had an eTrex 10: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288426&view=findpost&p=4944323.

Something else to try would be a master reset. Don't think it;s manuals or other text files unless she copied something to the GPS by mistake.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Do you use a PC or Mac ?

You should answer this Granny, because there are some bugs associated with Macs.

No response? It's sunny here in Seattle... I need to go play. So If its a Mac , try this:

ChefRd2000s lost memory fix:

1. Connect the etrex to your Mac and wait for the icon to appear 

2. Empty your trash.  ( the Mac trash can )

3. Wait a bit for it to finish (5min)

4. Properly unmount the etrex

5. Remove and reinstall the batteries

Did that do it?  Remember the trash can is a catch all safety file.  Make sure there is nothing important in there that you deleted accidentally.  Also,  if you have used more than one Mac to delete files on the etrex, you will need to repeat this on all those computers .

I'm puzzled by her saying the GPS shows the Garmin's disk is completely full, even after emptying the GPX folder. Out of the box with nothing but the factory software (and maybe every internationalization/text/manual file) there would still be a few megabytes free. Maybe some directory listings from the device, all subfolders (not just the Garmin/GPX folder), would give a clue.

Hi!

Firstly - my aplogies fror not responding as quickly as you would like. I am on holiday in Holland and live in a forets here - so can only ccheck mails occasionally.

a) I have a PC

B) There is indeed a few bytes space left on the GPS. I dont have it on me right now but in the pie chart it shows a 'very tiny slice'available. I used ti this morning and could enter a new set of coordinates physically, then delete it before entering a new set again.

c) I will try the advice to reset the device as per seldom sn's advice and will let you know. (Please give me till Wednesday.) Otherwise, when I get back to the UK, I will contact Garmin.

d) I have really enjoyed and appreciated you guys helping this granny :) (not SUCH a granny hey...! :anibad:)

I'm more convinced now of something I suggested a few posts back. I'd wager you accidentally copied something you didn't intend to, to the wrong place. Look in the other folders besdes Garmin/GPX.

This explanation fits the symptoms you described.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Granny, too bad you aren't using a Mac, cause that trash can business would explain everything. Did you or anyone near and dear to you EVER use a Mac to load geocaches? You describe seeing the pie chart, but what do you see when you look in the Garmin folder? No Bob's Tupperware Cache.gpx?

This is something I would not suggest unless you're sure of what you're doing but it frees up quite a bit of space. I had an issue once with my NUVI not being able to download an update because its memory was too full. I called Garmin and they had me go into the keyboard, voice and help folders and delete all the language files except english since I don't speak or read anything else. I did this to me eTrex 20 soon after I bought it. Figured if it worked OK on the NUVI it would on the eTrex. It did. Also, I made a backup of the units before I deleted anything in case I deleted something I shouldn't have. Again, I would not suggest doing this unless you're sure of what you're doing.

Thanks again for everyone trying to help! Here some more responses to your suggestions:

a) I have tried the complete reset which seemed to 'work' according to the instructions, but as soon as I tried to load a waypoint, I got the same message. When I could connect to a PC, I saw there is no change.

B) I will gladly give you some screen shots but have no idea how to do it here...?

c) Used space: 9,224,192 bytes

Free space: 184,328 bytes

d) Under GPX folder: Current folder - Current.gpx file (954 bytes - size on disk 4,096 bytes)

Nav folder - Coordinates.gpx (1,074 bytes - size on disk 4,096 bytes)

I feel a bit wary of trying SS' advice...?? If my information makes any sense to anyone, I welcome more advice..?? Or if you still want a screen short, please tell me how to insert it here? Otherwise, I will try to contact Garmin... Thanks again

B) I will gladly give you some screen shots but have no idea how to do it here...?

First you need to upload your screenshots to an image hosting site. Then you click on the little photo button on the GPS and Technology reply window and paste the link from the hosting site. When you get back to your PC try to "show hidden files". Sounds like something invisible could be lurking on your Etrex.

Wrapping up -

To everyone who so kindly tried to help me,I feel I must let you all know that the problem has at last been identified and solved by Garmin. For some reason, a 'Windows' folder full of similar files (winsx?) was created - all of 7.3MB! That has been deleted and seems fine now. At least if it happens again, I know where to look and what to do. Thanks again to everyone!

For those of you who hgave the etrex 10, how is it for geocaching? We are beginniners and are looking for a handheld. I know the etrex 20 has wonderful reviews but it is just way over our budget and the etrex 10 is more in our price range. Comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi! you might notice that I had some problems with my Etrex 10 in that it had downloaded a lot of Windows files and because of my ignorance, I couldn't figure out why I had no disk space left. Garmin was very helpful and the problem was solved quickly. As far as using it for geocaching is concerned, I know it cannot be compared to the top of the range models, but I find it totally sufficient and so far it always takes me to with 1/2 metres of the cache.

Southerngal, the 10 is a nice basic unit, but you should look at the Garmin website and do a "Compare" between the 10 and the 20 (and maybe also the 30) to see the differences. The biggest difference is that the 10 has no built-in memory or SD card slot, so you cannot add maps to it--and believe me, the built-in basemap is lame. You also might care about B&W vs. color display and the number of geocaches that the unit can hold.

Patty

We started geo caching a few weeks back and used my mobile phone. Decided to invest in an etrex 10 because the battery life on my phone was pants but although the gps is ok i miss having the functions i had on my mobile - instantly logging finds, much better compass and more acurate compass and gps in very dense areas. It's ok but very basic, wish i'd gone for a newer version.

Edited by dippydee123

What i did was what one of the guys on here said, I have had my etrex 10 for about a week and today i did a bit of GC'n when i finished up i realized when i went to delete the points and quickly realized that this was wasnt an old school vista or forerunner so here is what i did.

Hooked the lil guy up, went into my computer (im a pc user), double clicked on the device, went into Garmin, then GPX.

In the GPX folder you will see files that say something like...GCS475 or something of that sort, these are your GC points. I just hit control (Ctrl)and deleted the ones i didnt need anymore. Yes, these are the GC points. I made sure by downloading another point and lo and behold a new file showed up in this folder. After deleting the files i went from about 7mb to about 8mb. I also deleted the Garmin points you know the ones that give you the locations to their offices because i didnt see myself trying to nav my way to them anytime soon.

HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

Hi,

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I've deleted files on my garmin, yet my Garmin Etrex 10 indicates no memory available. On file manager, the GPX folder indicates 7.57 MB (7,946,240 bytes), yet I can only see 744 GPX files and the largest is only 27KB. My CURRENT sub-folder indicates 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes) with only 1 file and my NAV indicates zero. Seems as if some large hidden file is eating up all my space. I will try and contact Garmin for help.

Hi,

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I've deleted files on my garmin, yet my Garmin Etrex 10 indicates no memory available. On file manager, the GPX folder indicates 7.57 MB (7,946,240 bytes), yet I can only see 744 GPX files and the largest is only 27KB. My CURRENT sub-folder indicates 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes) with only 1 file and my NAV indicates zero. Seems as if some large hidden file is eating up all my space. I will try and contact Garmin for help.

A relative bought one of these for herself. She liked going caching with us, but does not want a mobile phone. I was tasked with figuring it out and I was able to teach her how to download caches to the unit. After that, we can see how far away we are and it gives us a direction, but without a map it is fairly useless. I pulled up Google maps and showed her how to enter coordinates and we saw what shopping center a cache was behind. She could then go there and then use the GPS to find the cache. I suppose it will work well if she uses it while walking in an urban setting or maybe if she uses it in a park in conjunction with a park map. It isn't something you can use to just cache and go. You almost need to have google maps or something else to work with.

She ran into the same problem as the OP. Thanks everyone for putting the answer here. In retrospect I wish we were able to talk her into the phone.

Do you use a PC or Mac ?

You should answer this Granny, because there are some bugs associated with Macs.

No response? It's sunny here in Seattle... I need to go play. So If its a Mac , try this:

ChefRd2000s lost memory fix:

1. Connect the etrex to your Mac and wait for the icon to appear 

2. Empty your trash.  ( the Mac trash can )

3. Wait a bit for it to finish (5min)

4. Properly unmount the etrex

5. Remove and reinstall the batteries

Did that do it?  Remember the trash can is a catch all safety file.  Make sure there is nothing important in there that you deleted accidentally.  Also,  if you have used more than one Mac to delete files on the etrex, you will need to repeat this on all those computers .

Wow, 3 years later and I ran into the same problem. Followed this and it worked like a charm. Thanks ChefRd2000s!!!

Jimmy