garmin montana not finding satellite

Hi guys

after my gps maps62s packing up i bought a montana it arrived today i turned it on it found signal then after a quick look at how it function i plug it in to the computer to load some caches & it did an update now after turning it back on i can't get any signal no matter how long i leave it! i am starting to lose faith in garmin now can anyone help before i ring the supplier for a refund

Cheers

Damon

Do you have a satellite screen that shows you how many birds it is trying to track? I think it's in the drawer under satellite.

When first turned on, your unit will need to download ephemeris data over satellite. If it is far from the last time it was turned on (> 500 miles) it will also take a longer time to figure out its location. All "pure" GPS systems work this way. Your cell phone's location is augmented by cell tower signals (and nearby wireless networks), which is why it can get a fix much faster.

Anyway, turn it on and leave it outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes. Probably will not need that long.

Where are you leaving it? It needs to have a clear view of the sky ... sounds like you're trying all this inside? The first time it may need a while to download all the data it needs from the satellites, after that it will lock on fairly quickly.

My Montana has never had a problem getting a fix outside.

I've had it on the window sill outside for a good 20 mins I've just been sat outside with it on the roof of my car for 10 mins still no joy

Do you have a satellite screen that shows you how many birds it is trying to track? I think it's in the drawer under satellite.

When first turned on, your unit will need to download ephemeris data over satellite. If it is far from the last time it was turned on (> 500 miles) it will also take a longer time to figure out its location. All "pure" GPS systems work this way. Your cell phone's location is augmented by cell tower signals (and nearby wireless networks), which is why it can get a fix much faster.

Anyway, turn it on and leave it outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes. Probably will not need that long.

i have now left it on in the window of my van i will check on it in an hour

Where are you leaving it? It needs to have a clear view of the sky ... sounds like you're trying all this inside? The first time it may need a while to download all the data it needs from the satellites, after that it will lock on fairly quickly.

I've had it on the window sill outside for a good 20 mins I've just been sat outside with it on the roof of my car for 10 mins still no joy

If it still doesn't work, go to that satellite screen, make a screen cap, and post it here. Some other things you can try :

1. Check to see that GPS is turned on

2. Do a master reset : https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={45cc6860-87b1-11e0-78d7-000000000000}

Good luck.

If it still doesn't work, go to that satellite screen, make a screen cap, and post it here. Some other things you can try :

1. Check to see that GPS is turned on

2. Do a master reset : https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={45cc6860-87b1-11e0-78d7-000000000000}

Good luck.

GPS is turned on already tried master reset before posting here

screen shot

GPS is turned on already tried master reset before posting here

screen shot

If you tap on that 3 horizontal lines there's an option to turn the GPS on or off. But if you did a master reset, it should have turned it back on... Not sure what else to try, sorry.

thanks anyway bloody garmin!

i have tried turning it on & off I've tried setting my location via the map its really annoying me now there go my plans for the weekend

Never had a speck of trouble with my Montana (except for the usual operator error); only takes a few minutes to lock on to the satellites, even indoors. btw Mine says "Acquiring Satellites" where yours says "Locating Satellites" Sorry, but I don't have any answers for you.

One more thing to try :

1. If you have a microSD card, remove it.

2. If you loaded any caches into the unit, delete all the GPX files

Turn it back on and see if it is working.

no SD card fitted at the min have removed all caches, its been sat in the widow all night & still no change

no SD card fitted at the min have removed all caches, its been sat in the widow all night & still no change

Try to update it again? Sorry, I'm really grasping at straws here.

I have tried that I was trying to find out if there is a way of down grading the version as it worked before the update, I can't belive Garmin don't have a section for this type of unit on their forum

I hate to say it but is sounds like you may have a faulty unit. I'd take it back to the retailer and explain the problem. It should be exchanged for you.

I wouldn't let it put you off the Montana though, like others mine has never missed a beat.

If you want to try rolling back the firmware though to see if it works try here

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/montana/

Thanks for your help guess i will be waiting another week before i can go caching again!

I hate to say it but is sounds like you may have a faulty unit. I'd take it back to the retailer and explain the problem. It should be exchanged for you.

I wouldn't let it put you off the Montana though, like others mine has never missed a beat.

If you want to try rolling back the firmware though to see if it works try here

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/montana/

Thanks for your help guess i will be waiting another week before i can go caching again!

downgrade didn't work guess i will call garmin on monday see what they say & then send back to shop if that gets me know where, 2 of 4 garmin products i own don't work yay anyway one know if i can load geocaches on my edge 810?