GPS for Traveler

BuzzBNC

Hi....I'm new to Geocaching and have a question about GPS units.

I travel a great deal worldwide and I think Geocaching might be a fun thing to do. While I have downloaded the geocaching app to my smartphone, there are times when it's not a good idea to take my smartphone out. I'd rather use a separate GPS unit.

When I travel, I leave the computer at home and do my work on an Ipad mini. (This is never taken out in public while walking.)

I need a GPS unit that is lightweight, easy to use and doesn't need access to a computer. I'd rather not spend too much if possible so if it's stolen, I won't be too upset.

Any ideas?

For geocaching purposes, you are gonna have to access a computer, one way or another for a GPSr unit.

I wonder though, if you fear brandishing a phone in public, do you really think that carrying a GPSr in public is gonna be different?

At first glance, folks are probably going to perceive that as a phone, too!

If things are that bad where you travel... perhaps geocaching isn't really the thing to do -- at least not while you are traveling to those places that you (apparently) believe to be so unsavory.

Do they have any low cost private security options that anyone else knows about?

Seriously, if you do not want to use your phone for risk of damage or high data fees a $100 etrex will get you there but you may soon find it lacking in features. There are ways with offline lists to use the phone without data.

I know there are bad places everywhere but if your trying to use the GPS to prevent you being mugged for your phone, good luck. They look the same from 20 feet.

I have traveled a bit and lost luggage is not out of the possibility if this is what you meant by stolen. But again. If you are in kabul or something and it is that dangerous, unless your armed with a private detail, maybe hanging in the hotel is a better hobby. Just saying..

Edited by doc73

An Etrex is your cheapest option, but remember if you are afraid (paranoid) to get robbed, you probability will be robbed sooner or later.

If you are on really dangerous places it's unwise to go geocaching, question is, is it really dangerous or just your perception.

For geocaching purposes, you are gonna have to access a computer, one way or another for a GPSr unit.

Or the iPad mini that the OP has (with a little help from a wifi router that will allow the ipad to transfer files to a gpsr). I use the Kingston MobileLite with an I-device and have not used a computer with my GPSr in a very long time. Of course premium membership would make it even easier to put full cache data on a unit. And before the OP does that, they might want to find enough caches so that they know that it is something they want to do.

Some caution might be warranted. In 2013, cell phones accounted for half the robberies in my home area (San Francisco). Fortunately, that number has fallen dramatically - a 27% drop last year, perhaps because of increased capacity to brick phones. Iphone robberies dropped from 1559 to 936. Some people have carried old flip phones as decoys. But what do I know? Nobody has ever robbed me of either my phone or gpsr.

Like others, I am curious about where the OP is visiting. But if you are somewhere and think that it is not a good idea to take a smartphone out, it probably isn't.

Edited by geodarts

An Etrex is your cheapest option, but remember if you are afraid (paranoid) to get robbed, you probability will be robbed sooner or later.

If you are on really dangerous places it's unwise to go geocaching, question is, is it really dangerous or just your perception.

I agree. I take along my eTrex 30 when travelling. It's compact enough to fit into a shirt pocket and feels good in my grip. For added security I've attached a wrist strap to mine.