How do I take-over ownership of a cache?

njbuk

Hi

There is a multi-cache based at a library round the corner from where I live. Looking at the activity pages part of the cache has been lost for a couple of years. The librarians are telling people the missing clue word as the nano cant be found. The librarian said the woman who owned/managed the cache moved away a couple of years ago. Ive messaged the CO but no reply. Im happy to replace the missing part of the multicache but Im thinking it would probably make sense for me to take on ownership of it all as I can easily carry out maintenance etc. How do I get it moved over to me?

Edited by njbuk

Hi

Simple answer: You can't.

Longer answer: You can't unless the owner transfers it to you.

If the cache is abandoned and not doable, then file a Needs Archived so a reviewer can check it and give the owner a chance to respond. If they don't, it'll be removed from the map allowing you to replace it.

If the cache is abandoned and not doable, then file a Needs Archived so a reviewer can check it and give the owner a chance to respond. If they don't, it'll be removed from the map allowing you to replace it.

+1 NA.

A little (but just a little) surprised that having to communicate with library staff hasn't resulted in an NA yet, as you say it's the library staff that has been keeping this cache active.

If this has been the norm for years, it sorta makes it appear there aren't too many cachers interested in "fixing" the problem.

- The librarians will do it...

You can't get the cache adopted to you without the Cache Owner starting the adoption process. :)

From a found It: "Sadly no nano could be found on the railings and having read a previous log I returned to the lovely librarians who gave me a word association game and I was through to the cache and log signed".

- The librarians seem to be adding their own game into the mix...

Edited by cerberus1

Hi

There is a multi-cache based at a library round the corner from where I live. Looking at the activity pages part of the cache has been lost for a couple of years. The librarians are telling people the missing clue word as the nano cant be found. The librarian said the woman who owned/managed the cache moved away a couple of years ago. Ive messaged the CO but no reply. Im happy to replace the missing part of the multicache but Im thinking it would probably make sense for me to take on ownership of it all as I can easily carry out maintenance etc. How do I get it moved over to me?

The appropriate action would be to log a "Needs Archived" log on the cache. Explain in your NA log exactly what the librarian told you about the cache owner moving away.

(This one is already beyond a "Needs Maintenance" log, as the CO isn't in the area.)

Once it's archived, you can place a new cache there, with the permission of the library. You will need explicit permission, and provide that in your submission for review. The library sounds like they're happy to have the cache there, if they are helping people to find it.

Only the cache owner can initiate the adoption of a cache. This is what the original owner should have done in the first place, or archived it when she moved away.

You could try to get in contact with the cache owner, and suggest adopting it over to you. If you were lucky in taking that route, then you would be able to do the necessary maintenance, and then log an "owner maintenance" log.

Without being the owner, you can't properly maintain either the cache itself or the cache page.

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.2. What log type should I use?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=534

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Finding a Geocache

3.8. I found a geocache that needs to be archived

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=434

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache ownership: A long-term relationship

4.19. Adopt or transfer a geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

B.

Why hasn't anyone posted a NM by now? Some finders with incredibly high number of finds have been logging this without any qualms, or logging of the appropriate NM logs. :rolleyes:

Logged as "found it" with mention of the problem doesn't help anyone.

Posting Needs Maintenance lets others know there is a problem.

Is there actually a final container with a log book?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Some finders with incredibly high number of finds have been logging this without any qualms

I don't think most high numbers cachers even visit the caches that they claim to find. As for the OP taking over ownership, sounds to me like it's time to post NA on the ownerless listing with missing parts and recreate one there in it's place, or just fix what is missing and move on. B)

Thanks for your replies.

I have purchased a nano to fix the issue. Im hopeful the CO will eventually see my message and hand the cache over to me. If this doesnt happen I will NA the cache.

The librarians are so helpful I will leave my contact details for any issues.

Thanks for your replies.

I have purchased a nano to fix the issue. Im hopeful the CO will eventually see my message and hand the cache over to me. If this doesnt happen I will NA the cache.

The librarians are so helpful I will leave my contact details for any issues.

Why not log the NA now?

Then when the cache is archived, put your own cache there (hopefully better then an nano). That way you will set a responsible example.

Edited by L0ne.R