Placing a cache?

rkjl

I am fairly new to geocacheing (35 finds)and would like to place one of my own. Looking at the web site details it looks pretty intimidating to place a cache. What is the first step? Getting permission? If you want to place on SGL's do you contact the Game Commission for permission? Etc. Thanks for the help!

I am fairly new to geocacheing (35 finds)and would like to place one of my own. Looking at the web site details it looks pretty intimidating to place a cache. What is the first step? Getting permission? If you want to place on SGL's do you contact the Game Commission for permission? Etc. Thanks for the help!

Not every cache placement requires explicit permission. However, doing your homework will save you some time. Groundspeak maintains a Wiki that covers a few land use issues for various parts of the world. Judging from your most recent Finds, the following page looks like the most appropriate to start:

Wiki link

It's by no means comprehensive, but at least it would give you some information. Beyond that, contacting your Local Reviewer, talking with other Geocachers, and asking Land Managers directly regarding Geoccaching Policies would be another source of information.

Good luck!

Thank you for the info!!!

Not every cache placement requires explicit permission. However, doing your homework will save you some time. Groundspeak maintains a Wiki that covers a few land use issues for various parts of the world. Judging from your most recent Finds, the following page looks like the most appropriate to start:

Wiki link

It's by no means comprehensive, but at least it would give you some information. Beyond that, contacting your Local Reviewer, talking with other Geocachers, and asking Land Managers directly regarding Geoccaching Policies would be another source of information.

Good luck!

I did not see where i could post something about this?? Anyway I'm trying to place some caches on geocaching.com i do not have a gps yet working on it but ive tryed to use me cgeo app for cords and a few other apps and they don't seem to be right on its a few blocks down the road? Any help would be great or maybe another cords app that works tell i get my gps. Thanks

Nope. Kind of an "other use" thing.

On SGLs that aren't sharing property with DCNR and the Feds.

Both of us hunt, so we sorta "chip in" with our license fees.

Heard that caching/hiking may become similar to the rifle ranges (yearly fee or buy a hunting license to use), but no real word so far.

Edited by cerberus1

I did not see where i could post something about this?? Anyway I'm trying to place some caches on geocaching.com i do not have a gps yet working on it but ive tryed to use me cgeo app for cords and a few other apps and they don't seem to be right on its a few blocks down the road? Any help would be great or maybe another cords app that works tell i get my gps. Thanks

What device are you using? I assume it's an Android phone of some kind. I suggest searching in their app market for anything like "Waypoint averaging" or "GPS averaging" or something like that. Plan to take several different readings, preferably on a couple of different days, and calculate the average for best results. Take some good, long samples and don't get in a hurry. There are apps which will do the work for you.

Edited by Chief301

Thanks chief ill look into it. And i have another question.... i tried to place a cache today on geocaching.com and it did not let me get past step 3 just took me back to step one several times?? Any other way to place a cache? Any help would be great thanks

On a computer, or are you trying to use a phone?

(Doesn't work with a phone)

Here is the thing with phones. If you are not familiar with using your phone's GPS, you can make big mistakes on the coordinates. Also, if you were using google maps to 'verify' your coordinates, you may get stung; google maps is usually very good, but in some locations can be up to 200m off.

Just make very sure that A: your phone is using the GPS, and not cell phone tower triangulation, or wifi triangulation. B: Do what Chief301 said and take several averages over time. If they are all fairly close (withing 5m), you should be good , if they are each way different, you have something wrong in your phone's setup.

How I insure that my phone is using GPS is to use an app that actually shows each satellite that is being tracked. NeonGeo can do it (Select info from the home screen, then the GPS tab), and several dedicated GPS info apps (GPS Test, GPS info etc).

Have you used that same phone to find caches? Is it always a few blocks off? Are you ending up generally where the map icon is?

As mentioned, you could try a free App like the free version of GPS Status. That will show you if the coordinates are from GPS satellites.

Edited by kunarion

Yes i use the same phone to find caches. And it works fine. But i have installed some apps and plan on testing them out soon.

Testing them out is the key.

You could do it yourself, tracking back to the coordinates you've saved.

You could ask a friend to test your coordinates.

The coordinates don't need to be of your potential cache location. Grab some coordinates in a park, etc and then walk away. Load the coords into your device and see where it takes you.

Playing around with your device and the apps will let you get more familiar with them.

B.

Yes i use the same phone to find caches. And it works fine. But i have installed some apps and plan on testing them out soon.

There are a bunch of things that could cause a cache page to have GZ over two blocks away, when using an otherwise great GPSr. If there's still a problem, some detail on your process may help narrow down the issue.

If your phone accurately takes you caches, it is producing an accurate set of coordinates at the cache spot.

Edited by kunarion

Reddit.com's favorite description of geocaching:

"We find tupperware in the woods using multi billion dollar satellites."

Did you happen to notice this sticky:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238349

Reporting Abusive Posts or Correspondence

If someone directs correspondence to you that is abusive or derogatory through the site, a forum topic or a log entry, you should not respond before reporting it. Once two parties are involved, it becomes a "he said this" or "she said that" discussion that is generally difficult to deal with.

Forum posts are reported by clicking on the !Report link at the bottom of the post. Other issues are reported by contacting Geocaching HQ through the Help Center.

B.