GPS format?

Sycamore5

We just started geocaching and found our first few items. Now we want to place a few caches and have a question about GPS style/notation/format.

Not using a GPS device, just an iPhone and an Ap call "GPS Location"

When noting the Map Cordinates it asks which format to use. I have no idea which format to use and need a VERY non-technical answer for which style/format/notation to use.

Here are the styles, (I'm only entering the latitude )

style #1:

##º##'##.#"

example: 12º34'56.7"

style #2:

##º##.###"

style #3

##.#####º

style #4

##.#####

thanks in advance!

For geocaching, you would want to use style #2... Decimal Minute format. Although it says seconds (") -- it shouldn't, as the way it is written (without the sign characters), it is the proper format.

I think somebody added the sign characters improperly. You, perhaps?

If you have the ability to choose datum, it should be WGS84.... if it does not give you that ability, then don't worry about it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

For geocaching, you would want to use style #2... Decimal Minute format. Although it says seconds (") -- it shouldn't, as the way it is written (without the sign characters), it is the proper format.

If you have the ability to choose datum, it should be WGS84.... if it does not give you that ability, then don't worry about it.

Thanks, what's WGS84?

"style #2" is an easy answer, much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks, what's WGS84?

"style #2" is an easy answer, much appreciated. Thank you.

Howdy......

You should find about 50 more before you start hiding any.

Get to know whats going on first.

That's a stupid reply.
It really isn't that stupid a reply. The guidelines even include similar statements:

"The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one."

You can quibble over whether 20 finds or 50 finds is a better benchmark, but both are better than the 4 you've logged so far. Personally, I don't think any specific number of finds is going to be right for everyone. But I do think it is important that you find enough that you know what kinds of containers work well, what kinds of containers don't work well, what kinds of caches you enjoy, and what kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term.

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.
Howdy......

That's a stupid reply.
It really isn't that stupid a reply. The guidelines even include similar statements:

"The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one."

You can quibble over whether 20 finds or 50 finds is a better benchmark, but both are better than the 4 you've logged so far. Personally, I don't think any specific number of finds is going to be right for everyone. But I do think it is important that you find enough that you know what kinds of containers work well, what kinds of containers don't work well, what kinds of caches you enjoy, and what kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term.

4 was more than enough to figure out what type of cache we wanted to place. Thanks. This isn't rocket science. 20 to 50? come on.

A "great" experience for our family are ones that are found from helpful hints. Maybe that's different for others.

All I was asking was a simple question about GPS formats. Thanks.

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

Thanks, what's WGS84?

I checked on the app. The downloading site states that it uses WGS84, so you don't have to worry about it.

WGS84 is the current world standard datum for interpreting the shape of the earth -- no, it isn't spherical or "round" as some would say.

Knowing about coordinate format-types and and datum is a good thing... if you are going to be using a GPS device with mapping overlays.

Intermixing of these things would put you off-course and off the mark -- usually wildly so.

A fair description of map datums is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datum_%28geodesy%29 . If you do read it, pay attention to the end as it tells you what datums you could bump into.

Likewise -- as the other posts are referring to -- there is a lot more to geocaching than what you truly do know. Evidenced by what you have done (logged), so far. You DID NOT find Cache GC1JHFG .

What you did find with that QR sticker is a game piece from an unrelated GPS-search game.

If you had read the guidelines and other information (fully) about geocaching, you probably would have known that what you found was not the cache. Such a cache-type is not allowed in geocaching.com.

There is lots to know about geocaching... especially prior to hiding caches. I think the message in some of those others posts is that knowledge is good and that experience can help a lot regarding knowledge.

I do agree with the others, you need to read more and find a few more caches before attempting to hide some. No rule says that you must, but it is a really, really (really) good idea.

4 was more than enough to figure out what type of cache we wanted to place. Thanks. This isn't rocket science. 20 to 50? come on.

A "great" experience for our family are ones that are found from helpful hints. Maybe that's different for others.

Apparently there is more to it than you realize. It's not rocket science, but there are set formats, etc.

If you really are interested in learning, then I highly recommend that you do some reading:

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

Help Center → Other → Conversions

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=208

1.3. WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format

Why do we use WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format?

Most GPS receivers are set coming out of the box with WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format. Using this setting will be less likely to confuse new GPS owners.

WGS-84

Google

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

I am of the opinion that if you don't truly understand how to find a cache and sign the log, then you're not ready to hide caches.

Just following where your phone takes you doesn't necessarily mean you found the cache.

Posting rude comments on the cache page while logging a "found it" is not nice, especially when you haven't actually found the proper cache and signed the log.

How many logs have you signed?

Help Center → Finding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=25

3.1. How do I find the geocache and what should I do once I've found it?

There are many things to know about searching for a geocache. For instance, did you know that there is a slight "error" to every GPS device due to technological limitations? Your device can get you close to the cache, but there are a number of things to consider as you get closer to the cache location.

When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. You can take an item from the cache if you like - just make sure to leave something of equal or greater value in its place. When you are finished, put the cache back exactly as you found it, even if you think you see a better spot for it. Please do not move a cache from its original location. If you feel that it may not be located in the correct location, please email the cache owner directly or post a log on the cache listing page, notifying the owner of your concern. Cache owners are responsible for maintaining their cache placements.

Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others!

B.

Howdy......

Vern / Foothills Drifter...

That's a stupid reply.

Two things

That recommendation is one that is has great popularity based on experience.

That kind of language is frowned on is this forum and can result an admonishment, sujspension or bnishment. Might want to treat people with courtesty and respect here.

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

Your question, your log entries, and your posts in the forum demonstrate you don't have a full understanding of the game. There is more to finding a cache than getting to the cache location. There is much more to placing a cache than knowing what you like. Please do the caching community a favor and develop a deeper appreciation for the game, so that when you do place a cache it will be one that meets all the guidelines and will be one that others will truly enjoy.

Howdy......

I'm glad you guys are on my side.

Howdy......

That's a stupid reply.

Two things

That recommendation is one that is has great popularity based on experience.

That kind of language is frowned on is this forum and can result an admonishment, sujspension or bnishment. Might want to treat people with courtesty and respect here.

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

Looks like you may have only found two of those 4 finds. One you logged twice. Another, if the QR code is all you found, that likely belongs to a different game. (read the owners log after your log)

So perhaps Foothills Drifter's post is not so stupid.

+1

This isn't rocket science...

Looks like you may have only found two of those 4 finds. One you logged twice. Another, if the QR code is all you found, that likely belongs to a different game. (read the owners log after your log)

So perhaps Foothills Drifter's post is not so stupid.

+1

This isn't rocket science...

+2.....Its also not considered good form to include " hints " in your logs, we call them "spoilers".

Hints are given by the CO if he wishes to give hints at all.

Howdy......

That's a stupid reply.

I am a NUB as well, 35 or so finds. Your correct it is not Rocket Science. Actually the only thing that IS Rocket Science IS Rocket Science.

I have found the people involved in caching and on this site always respectful and more then willing to help you out.

Your the only guy I have seen that called some ones reply stupid. Maybe playing Basketball a more appropriate past time for you.

Howdy......

+1

Vern / Foothills Drifter... B)

I am a NUB as well, 35 or so finds. Your correct it is not Rocket Science. Actually the only thing that IS Rocket Science IS Rocket Science.

I have found the people involved in caching and on this site always respectful and more then willing to help you out.

Your the only guy I have seen that called some ones reply stupid. Maybe playing Basketball a more appropriate past time for you.

Edited by Foothills Drifter