Required distance between multi caches

Medox2010

Hi all,

As a beginner, I'm especially interested in multi and mystery caches,

and I've got several questions about them:

There is a rule of 'not placing a geocache within a 100 meters' range of another cache'.

But what if someone would create a multi cache, with some of the caches only being landmarks,

like a statue (which will help you answer a question that will get you to the next cache)?

What if only the final cache is a real, physical cache, and all the caches on the way to that

final cache are only location which hold an answer on your queste? Does the above rule still

count, then?

Another question I have:

When looking for a multi cache on a geocaching map, is only the first coordinate visible? Or

maybe the first and the last one? Or are all of the 'steps' on the way to the final cache visible

on the map?

I will have many more things I'd like to find out. But for now, I'll just wait for a reaction and

see how far I'll be able to get with that ;-)

Thanks for your help!

These and other questions are answered in the pinned topic "Specific Rules for Multis" in this section of the forum. It was located just two threads above your thread a moment ago. The answers there are explained better than I can do right now.

Distance is between 'Physical stages' (parts placed by a cacher*) from other 'Physical stages' of OTHER caches.

Distance of your 'Physical stages' for that cache, can be less than the minimum.

* Physical stage, container or tag, or similar that have been placed there by a cacher, as part of a cache.

Virtual stages, information from items already 'on site' eg notice boards or counting 'how many...', do NOT count for distance requirements.

ETA

You're trying to place a Multi, when you haven't found ANY caches?

Guidelines suggest you find "20 or so caches" before you place one.

Edited by Bear and Ragged
When looking for a multi cache on a geocaching map, is only the first coordinate visible? Or

maybe the first and the last one? Or are all of the 'steps' on the way to the final cache visible

on the map?

If the last coordinate were visible, it wouldn't be a multi or a puzzle, would it? If you already know the coordinates of the final, there's no reason to start at the beginning, is there?

Basically, if the cache owner placed a physical object within the environment, that object, whether an actual container, a tag, whatever, must be at least 525 feet (one tenth of a mile) away from any physical objects of another cache. Stages within the same multi do not have to be 528 feet apart.

If the multi or puzzle involves gathering information from preexisting elements in the environment(a date from a historic marker, how many light poles in the parking lot, whatever), those items do NOT have to meet the proximity rule.

You're trying to place a Multi, when you haven't found ANY caches?

I didn't gather that the OP was actually planning on hiding one, just curious as to how they work. Am I correct, Medox2010?

Edited by Chief301

Hi all,

As a beginner, I'm especially interested in multi and mystery caches,

and I've got several questions about them:

There is a rule of 'not placing a geocache within a 100 meters' range of another cache'.

But what if someone would create a multi cache, with some of the caches only being landmarks, like a statue (which will help you answer a question that will get you to the next cache)?

What if only the final cache is a real, physical cache, and all the caches on the way to that final cache are only location which hold an answer on your queste? Does the above rule still count, then?

Have you read the Guidelines?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Click on the blue text under 1. Fundamental Placement Guidelines:

2. Additional Listing Guidelines for Specific Geocache Types.

7. Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

There's a an explanation with diagrams to be read.

Another question I have:

When looking for a multi cache on a geocaching map, is only the first coordinate visible? Or maybe the first and the last one? Or are all of the 'steps' on the way to the final cache visible on the map?

Yes, it's only the first coordinate that is visible on the map. Multicaches can take many forms and formats, so you need to read the cache description to find out what you need to do or read to find the next stages.

Usually, one only logs "found it" once they have found the final container, which should hold the log book. Posting a "found it" for each stage isn't the normal procedure.

The Guidelines for hiding a cache can help finders, as well.

2. Additional Listing Guidelines for Specific Geocache Types.

2. Multi-Caches

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache. Provide the coordinates of all subsequent stages of the multi-cache by using the Additional Waypoints feature. If you do not want the coordinates for the additional stages displayed to the public, mark them as "hidden." Only the cache owner, reviewers and Groundspeak lackeys can view hidden coordinates.

The Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol